• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020 CB500X?

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of making the jump to the CB500X. Wondering if I'll regret that decision. I'm test riding the new CB in a couple of weeks. A couple of thing that I've read is that it's a more responsive fun ride. I would lose the funk which I will miss and straight line performance between the bikes is very close.

I have really enjoyed my 2014 NC750X but after 6 years of ownership looking for a new ride.

20200330_155055.jpg

Last edited:
In 2017 my wife and I test drove a new 2017 CB500x and a new 2015 NC700x. We traded the bikes back and forth probably half a dozen times over an hour or two that we had them. In the end I bought an NC and she bought a CB500x. I do find the CB more responsive and more fun in the turns. You need to rev it higher before shifting. I think the CB500x is a better looking bike than the NC. I did find it a little harder to accessorize than the NC. I take her bike out in the neighborhood from time to time but I am glad I bought the NC especially when I am out on the road. She is 5'5" and feels she can handle the CB500x easier than the NC. The annual insurance cost, at least in my area, is less expensive for the NC. My insurance guy told me the CB500x draws riders that tend to have a higher risk of claims but I don't think it is not enough of a difference to sway the decision on which bike you like best. I encourage you to go take the test drive, it is fun to ride.

Thanks
In 2017 my wife and I test drove a new 2017 CB500x and a new 2015 NC700x. We traded the bikes back and forth probably half a dozen times over an hour or two that we had them. In the end I bought an NC and she bought a CB500x. I do find the CB more responsive and more fun in the turns. You need to rev it higher before shifting. I think the CB500x is a better looking bike than the NC. I did find it a little harder to accessorize than the NC. I take her bike out in the neighborhood from time to time but I am glad I bought the NC especially when I am out on the road. She is 5'5" and feels she can handle the CB500x easier than the NC. The annual insurance cost, at least in my area, is less expensive for the NC. My insurance guy told me the CB500x draws riders that tend to have a higher risk of claims but I don't think it is not enough of a difference to sway the decision on which bike you like best. I encourage you to go take the test drive, it is fun to ride.
Thanks for the reply. A friend at work bought a 2018 CB and I was quite surprised by it. When the new updates came out it became a winner to me because of the 19" front , longer travel suspension and a bump in the HP. Hopefully will do a test ride soon but travel restrictions because of covid have me staying home.

Rode the 2019 for 500Kms. Nice little bike, lovely gearbox and willing motor, but if I were to purchase it would need some suspension mods for the type of riding I do. I found the seating position slightly cramped legwise. I am 5'8" but have a 32+" inseam.

Rode the 2019 for 500Kms. Nice little bike, lovely gearbox and willing motor, but if I were to purchase it would need some suspension mods for the type of riding I do. I found the seating position slightly cramped legwise. I am 5'8" but have a 32+" inseam.

Your dimensions are exactly what mine are. Hopefully the test ride will be more favorable to me.

I’m 5’7”, or maybe a bit more, with a 32 inch inseam. I found the CB500X ergoes to be perfect for me. The 500 fits me better than the NC series, mainly because the 500’s handlebars are closer to the seat, and the front of the seat is padded going up the tank, which allows you to move forward dirt bike style if you wish.

I think we‘re about the same size, Ruggybuggy, if it was you that sold me the light grey Olympia motorcycle pants. Still using them.

Last edited:
I’m 5’7”, or maybe a bit more, with a 32 inch inseam. I found the CB500X ergoes to be perfect for me. The 500 fits me better than the NC series, mainly because the 500’s handlebars are closer to the seat, and the front of the seat is padded going up the tank, which allows you to move forward dirt bike style if you wish.

I think we‘re about the same size, Ruggybuggy, if it was you that sold me the light grey Olympia motorcycle pants. Still using them.

How are the pants working out? I forgot about that. Kind of wish I had them my zipped blew out the on the day on my Fieldsheer but I do have a pair of Klim as a backup.

So if you had to choose one bike, your NC or the new CB, which one?

How are the pants working out? I forgot about that. Kind of wish I had them my zipped blew out the on the day on my Fieldsheer but I do have a pair of Klim as a backup.

The only saddle time I’ve had on the CB was on Honda demo rides, and that will have added up to 1.5 hours total over the years. Thus, I’m no expert.

I seriously looked at the CB500X a few years ago, to own along side the NC. I even got some dealer quotes, and called some people with private sales. In the end, I decided the CB was too similar to the NC to have as an additional stable mate. I ultimately bought a CRF250 Rally as it is a bit of a different animal.

For my purposes. I think the NC is still the bike for me, but dang, the CB500 in any of it‘s variants sure are a blast to ride. The engine is flawless, with smooth, very linear power delivery.

The Olympia pants have gone about everywhere, even on a 9000 mile Alaska trip. Due to wear and tear, they started having some zipper issues this spring, so I bought a new pair of Olympia pants like them to use on long trips, since I can’t afford to have a zipper failure on the old pants a long way from home.

The only saddle time I’ve had on the CB was on Honda demo rides, and that will have added up to 1.5 hours total over the years. Thus, I’m no expert.

I seriously looked at the CB500X a few years ago, to own along side the NC. I even got some dealer quotes, and called some people with private sales. In the end, I decided the CB was too similar to the NC to have as an additional stable mate. I ultimately bought a CRF250 Rally as it is a bit of a different animal.

For my purposes. I think the NC is still the bike for me, but dang, the CB500 in any of it‘s variants sure are a blast to ride. The engine is flawless, with smooth, very linear power delivery.

The Olympia pants have gone about everywhere, even on a 9000 mile Alaska trip. Due to wear and tear, they started having some zipper issues this spring, so I bought a new pair of Olympia pants like them to use on long trips, since I can’t afford to have a zipper failure on the old pants a long way from home.

Thank you for your insight. I actually just sold my KLX351. I loved that bike but I want to return to one bike ownership so I'm thinking the CB is a good compromise between the KLX and NC. I'm looking forward to the test ride but have to wait until this Covid crap subsides.
Good to hear the pants worked out for you. I'll probably buy another pair of I can't get my Fieldsheer repaired.

Back