• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020 NC750X initial 1st week of commuting thoughts

InfernoST

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All
After my 1st week of commuting with with the new machine I have a few thoughts.

- The foot pegs are dang small, gonna have to replace them with something a bit more substantial.
- The riding position has me leaning more forward than I like causing my back to hurt (I have an l4-l5 blown out disk). I ordered a set of risers that are going to raise the bars and pull them towards me, they should be here today.
- Is it me or does the powerplant feel more like a V-twin than a Parallel? In either case she runs great with more than enough power for my needs but isn't as smooth as the engine was in my old Burgman 650 (sewing machine smooth).
- Frunk is easily scratched, got some help with some solutions thanks to some of the members here. Ordered up their recommendations.
- I miss the center stand, I had ordered one the day i picked up the bike and it should be arriving today and will be installed when it stops raining.
- As with the Burgman the front tire kicks up a bunch of stuff into the radiator, I have to get a fender extender like I had on my Burgman and a radiator protector plate.
- The fuel mileage is crazy on this thing, i would have had to fill up the Burgman by now, I'v only lost 2 bars on the fuel guage from when I picked it up.
- Getting used to mounting and dismounting the machine, It's a bit of a pain with the seat bag I'm running currently.
- The suspension and ride quality are far superior compared to the Big Burg.
- I've watched plenty of review videos where they state the NC isn't all that powerful, for my needs it has way more than enough and sure is quick and fast enough.
- Have to do something about the buffeting, gotta look into a new windscreen.
- Lastly is the storage, considering the cost of the luggage these days I'm going to add this piece by piece.

Overall, extremely happy with my purchase and I know there is something out there that can be had to correct and any of my complaint's which i consider minor.

good review

someone mentioned using Grom pegs, and other mentioned he put Goldwing pegs on his

Didn't read in there that you hated the stock seat.. surprising judging by other's complaints. Bar risers, windshields and seats seem to be the most common complaints I've read, followed by the ugly tail light, junk suspension, and the muffler doesn't make as much noise as they'd like. Oh and the stock grips are small and hard lol (BTW those same complaints seem to be pretty common across all the forums I read)

Ugly tail light?I think it looks good.
Suspension? Fine for me.
Bar risers? Don't need them.

I've done windscreen, footpegs, muffler, seat mod, and grips.
Funny how everyone has different tastes.

Muffler? Fine. I only wish there was a quieter one. Footpegs? No issue whatsoever. Grips? Installed heated grips although the stock grips felt great. Suspension needed serious work. Bar risers- I'm at 3.2 inch rise, whereas 4" rise would be about right.

Very surprised to hear that the Burgman was much worse on fuel economy and glad that this is better for you ( I would have guessed they were about the same). Not sure if you are standing on the foot peg to mount with the bags on but it gives one the extra clearance that they need. In any case, glad that you are sorting out the wants and needs on your bike! Are you going to install everything yourself or have the shop do it for you?

good review

someone mentioned using Grom pegs, and other mentioned he put Goldwing pegs on his

Didn't read in there that you hated the stock seat.. surprising judging by other's complaints. Bar risers, windshields and seats seem to be the most common complaints I've read, followed by the ugly tail light, junk suspension, and the muffler doesn't make as much noise as they'd like. Oh and the stock grips are small and hard lol (BTW those same complaints seem to be pretty common across all the forums I read)
I haven't complained about the seat yet because 1 it needs to break in a bit and 2 I need to see how it feels with the new handle bar location which will change my seating position. As of now it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world.

Ugly tail light?I think it looks good.
Suspension? Fine for me.
Bar risers? Don't need them.

I've done windscreen, footpegs, muffler, seat mod, and grips.
I like the tail light, suspension is a huge improvement over the Big Burgman, put grip puppies on the grips which helps a whole lot, exhaust I'm fine with and am currently looking into pegs

Muffler? Fine. I only wish there was a quieter one. Footpegs? No issue whatsoever. Grips? Installed heated grips although the stock grips felt great. Suspension needed serious work. Bar risers- I'm at 3.2 inch rise, whereas 4" rise would be about right.
Suspension, you should ride the big burg through NYC it is really rough. I only need 1 1/2 inches up and 2 inches closer for me. I'm only 5' 10" with a 30" inseem.

Very surprised to hear that the Burgman was much worse on fuel economy and glad that this is better for you ( I would have guessed they were about the same). Not sure if you are standing on the foot peg to mount with the bags on but it gives one the extra clearance that they need. In any case, glad that you are sorting out the wants and needs on your bike! Are you going to install everything yourself or have the shop do it for you?
I do all of the work myself, the mechanics in my area are more akin to Hacks than mechanics. My bike will only see the stealership 1 time and thats for the 600 mile service to maintain the warrantee. The Burgman was getting around 38 to 42 miles to the gallon in the city at best, I will calculate the MPG on the NC tomorrow when I go to fill up.

Last edited:
Is it me or does the powerplant feel more like a V-twin than a Parallel? In either case she runs great with more than enough power for my needs but isn't as smooth as the engine was in my old Burgman 650 (sewing machine smooth).
The engine has a 270° firing angle instead of the 180° that would be used if the engineers wanted a super smooth feel. It is said in the marketing materials that it creates a "pleasant throbbing" or something similar. They intended it to feel like a v-twin to give the bike a bit more character.

Here's a thread about it

The engine has a 270° firing angle instead of the 180° that would be used if the engineers wanted a super smooth feel. It is said in the marketing materials that it creates a "pleasant throbbing" or something similar. They intended it to feel like a v-twin to give the bike a bit more character.

Here's a thread about it
Thanks for the info, I do love how the engine runs i was expecting something more akin to my Burgman. Its all good for me and am loving this Bike more each day I ride it. My ears hear a hint of Ducati when I rev the motor in Neutral.

I do all of the work myself, the mechanics in my area are more akin to Hacks than mechanics. My bike will only see the stealership 1 time and thats for the 600 mile service to maintain the warrantee. The Burgman was getting around 38 to 42 miles to the gallon in the city at best, I will calculate the MPG on the NC tomorrow when I go to fill up.

I'm with you. I'm lucky that I work out with and was a neighbor of the GM of Sunsports here in town. Everything has always been spot on when I had them do work (rare). Working on our bikes is part of what I enjoy about the sport. If you are commuting, take a look at Skene Photon Blasters. I know the name does not inspire confidence, but they are one hell of a product. Flickers in driver's peripheral vision as you approach them perpendicularly. Really reduces pull outs from both sides. If you have the plastics off one day, worth a try.

You are from NY. In the US you do not need to return for any service incl the 600 mile service to guarantee your warranty. As long as you are capable and keep receipts for oil, filter and and log date and mileage, they cannot deny you warranty.

Magnuson-Moss Warrant Act 1975

I do all my own oil changes etc (incl the 600 mile service) but the dealer gets to do the harder stuff. I'm lucky in that the head tech at my local shop is very experienced and knowledgeable. He takes good care of my motorcycles.

You are from NY. In the US you do not need to return for any service incl the 600 mile service to guarantee your warranty. As long as you are capable and keep receipts for oil, filter and and log date and mileage, tginhey cannot deny you warranty.

Magnuson-Moss Warrant Act 1975

I do all my own oil changes etc (incl the 600 mile service) but the dealer gets to do the harder stuff. I'm lucky in that the head tech at my local shop is very experienced and knowledgeable. He takes good care of my motorcycles.
Thanks for the info, I do everything from changing tires to rebuilding engines.

Suspension: 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc suspension was punishing on rough roads. NC HUGE improvement and it isn't really "crap" BUT cartridge forks OR Racetech gold valve [cartridge] emulators make an amazing difference in ride quality (soft / firm your choice). Road friend's 2016 Yam R1 has better more compliant suspension to small bumps but its $18K.

Engine: really and truly makes the "right" amount of power for the street but... when you really punch it it will and does fall short. Would I trade mpg for bhp that I never need and almost never use? No way. Honda made the right choices and every time I ride I'm reminded of that. V-twin / tractor / etc It takes time but when you ride in harmony with the engine I think you will really develop an application like a fine wine. I think it took me a year or so?

Windshield: is a must! I went with the Madstad BUT.... I learned a hard lesson... Many shields are tall and very narrow for a reason.... that allows you to add hand-guards around the grips to block wind. That is impossible with the Madstad unless you use a belt sander to remove material in that area (something I'm considering). Otherwise a great system, with unlimited sizes (custom order) sizes available. I started with the standard 15"? and am getting ready to order ~ 20" - don't like wind or any other noise and prefer silence.

Rear Case / Rack: I got the twisted throttle system and I like it BUT involves minor trimming of plastic and takes a about 2 hrs to put on.

EZ Does it One Day at a Time: My bike had zero maintenance and 33K on it. So I did full tune up including valve adj. Then Windshield (could not stand the wind blast), Honda Center Stand, R-Gaza crash bars (which paid off in a group ride when a slingshot hit me) cell phone holder then rear rack and was "good" for 1.5 years. Tires (Shinko Raven) when they wore out, then added heated grips by BikeMaster + proper power relay in Jan - awesome upgrade. This let me decide if the bike is a long term keeper (it is) and no surprise mechanical issues 5K daily miles.

Full-disclosure: I hated and had to force myself to put ever single mod on and I have ever tool imaginable. I still have the $50+ light kit that I bought 9 years ago for the Givi top case new in the box - must force myself to install.

Future: taller windshield from MadStad and likely belt sanding, hand-guards (to block wind), will do the racetech Gold kit or something in the future.

TIP: The center-stand is not too bad but you *must* use a ratchet strap to compress the spring - watch youtube videos on this (any model all the same).

The center-stand is not too bad but you *must* use a ratchet strap to compress the spring - watch youtube videos on this (any model all the same).
Ha! I didn't know that trick at the time I installed my center stand. After lots of cursing and nearly tipping the bike over a couple of times, I managed to get it installed. Solo no less!

Agreed it's incredible how much variety there is in taste and riding style with the same bike. Though I really wish I had the money to do the suspension. I'm adding some new electronics so, maybe I'll bite the bullet and do heated grips.

Now I'm gonna say it, now that I'm in the perfect position with the adjusted bars that seat is showing it's true colors. It's not so friendly, probably gonna have to do something with that too.

Now I'm gonna say it, now that I'm in the perfect position with the adjusted bars that seat is showing it's true colors. It's not so friendly, probably gonna have to do something with that too.
Chad seat has been ordered and shipped already, it will be here next Tuesday. YAAAAAYYYYY

Back