• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020 Seat comfort?

SilverNC700

Reaction score
Visit site
My NC700X is a 2012, first year available in the U.S. The number 1 complaint at the time was how uncomfortable the seat was, and yes, it was/is horrible. I replaced the OEM seat with an aftermarket version, and when that still wasn't comfortable enough I bought a seat pad for it. Now I can ride for 3-4 hours before my butt asks my to stop.

Have the latest models improved the seat comfort from the earlier days?

No. I had same problem and ended up getting the Shad Comfort Seat. Much more comfortable. There are several aftermarket seats available. Prices vary greatly though so once you choose the model you want, shop around. This Shad seat price varied by over $200.

I to have a 2012. My tail was getting sore after 70 mile roundtrip. I hear a lot of good about Seatconcepts. For 180.00 they sell foam and cover. You use your oem pan. That's the route I'm going to go with. If you go over to NC700 Mods section. You'll find lot's more info.

Sargent seems like a good bet based on the WR250R Sargent, which has a custom seat pan that's wider in back than the stock one to improve long sit-downs, without adding a downward slope or height to the forward position one depends on for stand-up work.

Replaced my 2018 seat with a Corbin and it is much better, but still not as good as a cruiser seat like you'll find on a Goldwing. These bikes are not really designed for long distance. Many of us use them as light touring bikes but the stock seat does not seem to have improved over the years.

From looking at photos, the 2020 seat appears to be about the same torture device as was used in 2012. The cover is probably different, which would require a part number change, but the pan and foam shape appear very similar, if not identical.

There are many aftermarket options, but no one seat stands out as a winner. I’ve tried 5 of them (Shad, Saddlemen, Seat Concepts, Sargent, Russel) in addition to stock, and none were satisfactory, but I’ve since found an acceptable answer by going back to Seat Concepts, ordering it with an alternate foam density, then reshaping the foam myself to fit me and my riding position.

Honda seats:
C83BB247-212E-42F4-BBA8-55D8C168F78E.jpeg

8A6DFA24-15C9-4905-A04D-94759019E288.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have good reasons to stop a lot, have raised the front of the seat and maybe covered it with a Sit&Fly you can still do a lot of miles in a day. Actually that suits me fine because between the camera and the territory and little hikes here and there, I don't have to imagine the agony of iron-butting on an NC ; }

Having highway pegs also helps a lot, allows one to change their leg angle and weight distribution on the tail bone.

I got a cover similiar to this from walmart...I formed it around the stock seat and taped/stapled it under the seat...along with my highway pegs, I can usually ride to the Smokies from home (6-9 hours depending on route) without burning butt. I did have to cut 2 holes in the back for the bolts, but no biggee.
1587916666166.png

No. I had same problem and ended up getting the Shad Comfort Seat. Much more comfortable. There are several aftermarket seats available. Prices vary greatly though so once you choose the model you want, shop around. This Shad seat price varied by over $200.
The Shad seat looks great, but I did not find a dealer in the US. Could you tell me where you ordered yours and and the cost? I have purchased a "seat comfort" kit for my Triumph and it was very good, but the Shad looks better yet. Thanks, Leo

Am I the only one around here who has done a Saddlesore 1000 run on a stock saddle?

Imagine riding on a seat that isn't designed to make you get off every few hours and walk around. That can't be healthy

Am I the only one around here who has done a Saddlesore 1000 run on a stock saddle?

Imagine riding on a seat that isn't designed to make you get off every few hours and walk around. That can't be healthy
Actually, I also did my saddlesore 1000 in 2014 on my stock seat...at least now I have a cover over it that works for a few hours (tried the airhawk and just was not comfortable on it).

Seat comfort is subjective. Some folks have the "best" custom or aftermarket seat and still can't ride any distance. Some have health issues, some are shackled to a tobacco habit, and some just don't ride enough often enough to build up to it.

I did a Saddlesore 1000 and a BunBurner 1500 on the stock seat. More important than the seat for me was getting decent wind protection.

Almost every bike I've ridden had a seat that would bother me within about 50 miles max, less if it was on the freeway. I guess it's all about making a bike cheaper. You think if they wanted to make money they'd add better seats as an option... but the MC industry is as clueless as it gets. Selling a bike like the NC without a centerstand, heated grips or hand guards. It's like they only want the aftermarket industry to make money.

I got the Sargent seat, as I felt it's the best deal if you don't want to do your own leatherwork.

I concur with the stock seat. After more than a couple of hours I can't stand to go further. I saw a youtube video where a guy modified a purple seat cushion and claimed it was the only thing that worked for him after trying several other options. He didn't have the NC but it would be interesting to have a stock seat to play with and modify a purple cushion to fit. Just thinking outside the box - it may be better than spending $$$ on a seat you may or may not like.

Back