• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a simple Nemo2 chain oiler with gear oil. I get a little fling but it’s pretty idiot proof so it works for me.
Yeah, I like those better than the more complex oilers. On my WR I need to manually oil anyway though, so chain maintenance on the NC really doesn't bother me.

How long do you let it dry before riding?
I usually spray some on when I get home in the evening. It ‘dries’ overnight.
Truth is, it never actually dries. The solvent/carrier liquid that makes it thin and spray-able evaporates rather quickly (an hour or so). What’s left on the chain is still tacky like a thin coating of heavy grease.
If I’m cleaning the chain, I spray a bunch on and let that same solvent break down the old lube coating and wipe it and the dirt off with paper towels.

I get it for $4-$5 a can. I tend to spray some on after every fill-up or two. It’s probably more often than I need to. It only takes a minute, so why not.

JT

service-stations-always.jpg
One thing is for sure with an extra liter of fuel... That’s 15 miles less I’ll have to walk!
Ha Ha
JT

Actually, with that tool tube I can fit a fuel bottle with Coleman fuel (white gas) for my camp stove. I don’t like carrying fuel in my pack if I can avoid it.

JT

Actually, with that tool tube I can fit a fuel bottle with Coleman fuel (white gas) for my camp stove. I don’t like carrying fuel in my pack if I can avoid it.
Yah, seems to be the best use. Though I've run regular unleaded in my old Coleman Peak 1 that's got to be at least 30 years old.

Changed my coolant tonight. Very simple task if you use the drain bolt. All-in it was less than 30 minutes to drain and fill the radiator and reserve tank.
I used Honda Type 2 blue antifreeze I bought from the auto dealer.

Bike is a 2015 purchased new in 2018. I figured it’s at least two years old, if not more. Old fluid looked fine.

JT

Changed my coolant tonight. Very simple task if you use the drain bolt. All-in it was less than 30 minutes to drain and fill the radiator and reserve tank.
I used Honda Type 2 blue antifreeze I bought from the auto dealer.

Bike is a 2015 purchased new in 2018. I figured it’s at least two years old, if not more. Old fluid looked fine.

JT
I just change mine when I do the valves (most remove the radiator)...My 2007 C50 Boulevard has 101,000+ miles (bought new with 1 mile) and OEM antifreeze...Rode it 200 miles on Saturday, 94'F outside temp and no issues...

I just change mine when I do the valves (most remove the radiator)...My 2007 C50 Boulevard has 101,000+ miles (bought new with 1 mile) and OEM antifreeze...Rode it 200 miles on Saturday, 94'F outside temp and no issues...
I didn’t have any issues with the bike. Ran great and no indication of any issues. I just figured that since the maintenance schedule says to replace every two years I would do it. It was unknown to me if the coolant was in there since 2015 or if it was filled in 2018 when I bought the bike ‘new in crate’. The process to drain and fill was so easy, no reason to shy away from this maintenance task.

Next up is flushing the brakes. I organized a maintenance day with a few friends to flush all our brakes next week.

JT

SlimDude, Where did you get that trailer ? And how does it mount to the NC ? It looks cool ! Also is that covered bridge in Montrose, Colorado ? I was there last summer. Thanks for any info on trailer and prices.

Had a very bad wind day. Beginning of May I left Phoenix for higher ground and cooler weather. On Tuesday May 19th I needed to order new gear arm. I broke mine changing bent tie rod. Dealer said I had to pay before they could order it. I didn't want to drive that day because of high wind gust. I went anyway. I was only 2 miles back to my campsite from Flagstaff. Hit by major crossword. I ended up in gravel of shoulder. Then all of sudden I hit something hard in gravel. Was a sudden stop. Throwing me over/thru Puig windscreen. A passerby from other way stopped to see if I was okay. I had some discomfort in my left chest. Other than that I was fine. Looked at my bike and noticed front rim bent backwards about 4 inches. Passerby helped me get my bike up. All else looked good. So passerby followed me 2 miles back to my turnoff to camp. So he left and I drove to my tent. I still felt okay. Started unloading supplies I bought in Flagstaff. Then all of sudden my chest was killing me. Could hardly even breathe. I could only stay on hands and knees. So I called 911. It took awhile for them to find me. They cut all my clothes off. It was cold and very windy. Loaded me up on board and off we went. They tried to get DPS to pick me up at ranger station at Mormon Lake. But DPS shot us down due to too windy to fly helicopter. Got to emergency room in Flagstaff. After x-ray and CT-scan. I have 7 rib fractures, front and back on left side. All else okay. Extremely long recovery time. Spent 4 nights in hospital. And was tested for covid19 before admittance. Paramedics told me 3 other bikers were blown off road that day in about same area. After released from hospital late Saturday. I couldn't order new rim from dealer until Tuesday. Their closed Sunday's and Monday's. So on Tuesday when I called them. They said they'd order rim without me paying first. Got my front wheel on bike June 3rd. Taking it easy now. But getting around fine on bike again. So just letting all of you know I'm okay. And please be careful on high wind days.

Wow, what an ordeal. Obviously the top priority is for you to recover. I wish you well.

Don’t worry about the wheel, but, when the times comes that you‘re OK, you might also check that the front forks are‘t bent. If the wheel too a lot of damage, the forks would have been stressed, too.

SlimDude, Where did you get that trailer ? And how does it mount to the NC ? It looks cool ! Also is that covered bridge in Montrose, Colorado ? I was there last summer. Thanks for any info on trailer and prices.

Like that do you? I ordered it from the guy that makes them in Quebec. I bought the Cyclops I. The Cyclops II is twice the size. Around $1800 CDN + options + shipping. I went with the mag wheel and LED lights. Holds about 110L. Now I can carry our Lone Rider MotoTent while we're two up.

The hitch was custom made based on specs from the trailer mfg and my own drawings. Made by a welding a fabrication shop near me. 7/8" tubing, welded and powder-coated for $300 CDN cash. It bolts behind the rear footpegs and also to the crossbar bolts for my GIVI racks.

The covered bridge is in West Montrose, Ontario Canada. It is the only remaining functional covered bridge in Ontario.

I can send you my drawings if you decide to go this route.

Had a very bad wind day. Beginning of May I left Phoenix for higher ground .... And please be careful on high wind days.

Holy Schmoly, man! I hope you're OK. Hard crosswinds, especially gusts scare the crap out of me. I'm a flyweight and that doesn't help. Wishing you as painless and rapid a recovery as possible.

Had a very bad wind day. Beginning of May I left Phoenix for higher ground and cooler weather. On Tuesday May 19th I needed to order new gear arm. I broke mine changing bent tie rod. Dealer said I had to pay before they could order it. I didn't want to drive that day because of high wind gust. I went anyway. I was only 2 miles back to my campsite from Flagstaff. Hit by major crossword. I ended up in gravel of shoulder. Then all of sudden I hit something hard in gravel. Was a sudden stop. Throwing me over/thru Puig windscreen. A passerby from other way stopped to see if I was okay. I had some discomfort in my left chest. Other than that I was fine. Looked at my bike and noticed front rim bent backwards about 4 inches. Passerby helped me get my bike up. All else looked good. So passerby followed me 2 miles back to my turnoff to camp. So he left and I drove to my tent. I still felt okay. Started unloading supplies I bought in Flagstaff. Then all of sudden my chest was killing me. Could hardly even breathe. I could only stay on hands and knees. So I called 911. It took awhile for them to find me. They cut all my clothes off. It was cold and very windy. Loaded me up on board and off we went. They tried to get DPS to pick me up at ranger station at Mormon Lake. But DPS shot us down due to too windy to fly helicopter. Got to emergency room in Flagstaff. After x-ray and CT-scan. I have 7 rib fractures, front and back on left side. All else okay. Extremely long recovery time. Spent 4 nights in hospital. And was tested for covid19 before admittance. Paramedics told me 3 other bikers were blown off road that day in about same area. After released from hospital late Saturday. I couldn't order new rim from dealer until Tuesday. Their closed Sunday's and Monday's. So on Tuesday when I called them. They said they'd order rim without me paying first. Got my front wheel on bike June 3rd. Taking it easy now. But getting around fine on bike again. So just letting all of you know I'm okay. And please be careful on high wind days.
Crosswinds are no joke. Glad that you're able to write this all up.

My wife and I got caught in the Columbia River valley in the worst wind storm I have ridden through. Got blown across the yellow several times, had to pull over to let folks by so I could take it easy. Nearly got blown all the way over when the wind caught me as I exited a turn coming out of a canyon. Never been so happy to get off a motorcycle.

Sometimes Mother Nature has a way of saying "today is not a good day"

I'm glad your bad day wasn't worse

I went out for a few hours ride when it was partly cloudy, hoping to come back before the predicted thundershowers would get going in earnest. As I got between two mountain chains the clouds were less numerous and the heat was pleasantly building. Then I stopped for only a couple of pics to keep from pushing my luck. But not long after taking them some dark nasty looking stuff started blowing in over the east set of mountains. By the time I got about 20 more miles it was really getting windy, and not long after that it looked like a monster storm was coming in so I turned around.

As I rode into the beast it was still not raining much but I did get blown from the center of the lane onto the center stripes and bucked hard random gusting for the next 30 miles before real thundershowers joined in. Really had to be alert to make it through all the steep twisty ravines on that frost-heaved and tar-mounded section of pothole heaven I've mentioned before. Things can really happen fast around here. Never did put the rain gear on though, the temperature only dropped 10 degrees or so, and I would have gotten as wet stopping as I did just pushing through ; }

2020-06-13 13;41;00 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-06-13 13;43;05 by greenboy, on Flickr

It was a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out for a few hours ride when it was partly cloudy, hoping to come back before the predicted thundershowers would get going in earnest. As I got between two mountain chains the clouds were less numerous and the heat was pleasantly building. Then I stopped for only a couple of pics to keep from pushing my luck. But not long after taking them some dark nasty looking stuff started blowing in over the east set of mountains. By the time I got about 20 more miles it was really getting windy, and not long after that it looked like a monster storm was coming in so I turned around.

As I rode into the beast it was still not raining much but I did get blown from the center of the lane onto the center stripes and bucked hard random gusting for the next 30 miles before real thundershowers joined in. Really had to be alert to make it through all the steep twisty ravines on that frost-heaved and tar-mounded section of pothole heaven I've mentioned before. Things can really happen fast around here. Never did put the rain gear on though, the temperature only dropped 10 degrees or so, and I would have gotten as wet stopping as I did just pushing through ; }

2020-06-13 13;41;00
by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-06-13 13;43;05
by greenboy, on Flickr

It was a good day!
You don't forget rides like that. Glad you kept the rubber on tarmac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back