• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this morning I went out, worked on the chain, brakes and went to add the R-Gaza engine guards on and this happened with the lower left Engine mount bolt... Digging out the service manual and looking up the bolt part number now... Ugh, biggest issue is getting the remainder of the bolt out of the engine without damaging it. Someone is coming by when I get the new bolt to take a look, but it may end up in a shop.

I will not NOT be doing this repair on my own.

View attachment 41623View attachment 41624
Wow! That stinks!
Luckily, mine went on without a problem.
Best of luck getting that snapped bolt out.

JT

Yeah. Have the bolt ordered (one of each, just in case) and when they come in, a mechanic here said to bring some beer and he'd help get the bolt out and make sure the guards go on without any further issue. He's also going to come with a trailer to get it back to his shop. I dont feel comfortable riding without all the engine bolts in.

So, this morning I went out, worked on the chain, brakes and went to add the R-Gaza engine guards on and this happened with the lower left Engine mount bolt... Digging out the service manual and looking up the bolt part number now... Ugh, biggest issue is getting the remainder of the bolt out of the engine without damaging it. Someone is coming by when I get the new bolt to take a look, but it may end up in a shop.
I’m not trying to blame the victim here, rather understand the cause. Did this bolt break upon installation, tightened at or below the torque specified in the service manual? Or, did the bolt break during removal? If it was during installation, could the length of the bolt come into play, since with the guards installed, the bolt may now be too short? I’m a bit confused as I would expect it to be very unusual for this bolt to break, and I’m slightly surprised the engine case didn’t give instead of the bolt.

Removal. I probably should have stopped trying when it got difficult, but I didn't. It had, what looked like, plumbers tape, rather than regular lock tight. Anyway, parts are on the way (went ahead and got one of each, just in case) and someone who can fix it and help me go ahead and get the guards mounted.

I will not NOT be doing this repair on my own.

View attachment 41623View attachment 41624
THAT! Seems this is a potential problem. I installed Givi guards with no issues on my 2012 NC700X. Likely it’s due to corrosion. Maybe help for future installers will be to spray penetrant first. If bolt is very tight removing, then screw back n forth adding penetrant as removal progresses. Real bummer.

Plugged in my 5amp battery tender pro. Still read 80% plus charge after 4 months of storage. I have 5 motorcycles in my garage right now (storing for friends) and I forgot to rotate the charger to my motorcycle. I cycle through each bike once a week. Takes 5 weeks to get to all of them. All of them have quick hook up for the battery. IT's all I ask they do is make it easy for me to connect a tender to it. I'm not going to disassemble their bike each time.

The past 3 days would have been great days to ride...except I was in bed/recliner with head/chest cold and ribs so sore from coughing so much...no, cant get sick when it is freaking too nasty to ride....
Brad, sorry to see that bolt brake off. Good luck getting it out...

Removal. I probably should have stopped trying when it got difficult, but I didn't. It had, what looked like, plumbers tape, rather than regular lock tight. Anyway, parts are on the way (went ahead and got one of each, just in case) and someone who can fix it and help me go ahead and get the guards mounted.
Wow. That’s scary. Perhaps some kind of corrosion made the threads seize up. I’ve commonly seen a white coating or powder when removing steel bolts from aluminum threads

Dear lord I hate not being able to use tapatalk to post from my phone....just had several pics uploaded and a bunch of text typed out, hit back button by mistake and lost it all....

Anyways, adjusted valves and refilled with Engine Ice coolant yesterday, about to go out for a few hour fun loop ride today.

20200207_185134.jpg

20200207_211313.jpg

20200207_212125.jpg

Attachments

• 20200207_185134.jpg
    20200207_185134.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200207_211313.jpg
    20200207_211313.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200207_212125.jpg
    20200207_212125.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
Changed my sprockets and chain yesterday, rode to work today, 36f° on the way to work 76f° on the way home clear blue skies, wonderful day for riding the motorcycle

It is duly noted that only the Ducati is getting petrol........

LOL that was only about 20 minutes into the ride, we met at my house and he hadn't filled his up yet prior to riding that day.

Also note, he has another Ducati Multistrada in the Enduro flavor, which has something crazy like an 8 gallon tank on it. So with that one, he can certainly out-mile an NC haha.

Been out a number of times on my WR250R this winter but it's the first time I rode my NC since early December. Really the first time that the ice incline by my motorcycle shed allowed an easy exit and entrance. Temperatures just above 32F, 35 at the end of 4 hours and about 180 miles.

This was from my NC day on December 8 (yeah, 32 all day)...

2019-12-08 17;32;40
by greenboy, on Flickr

Today, it was at least sunny, though windy...

2020-02-20 16;33;12
by greenboy, on Flickr

Finally, got the R-Gaza guards installed after a friend helped me get the bolt extracted and threads cleaned. These are nice, the look great and feel VERY stable. Now, time to do some other projects and cleaning and I am fully ready for the season to start.

The rest of the bolts came out fine. Put some lock tight back on and mounted the guards without any other issue. So nice to have friends with skills and tools and willing to help for a few beers.

Attachments

• 20200223_180710385_iOS (2).jpg
    20200223_180710385_iOS (2).jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200223_180724882_iOS (2).jpg
    20200223_180724882_iOS (2).jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200223_180740212_iOS (2).jpg
    20200223_180740212_iOS (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Nice day yesterday...could have went riding but needed to do some maintenance on the bike...bike, at 56,000 miles still had OEM brake fluid (I know, I know)....some things I am just hesitant to do by myself (was never a mechanic; dad or no uncles around to teach me as a youngster-so everything I know is self taught)...but jeesh...it was so easy...hardest part was getting fluid reserve level by moving the bike around in my garage...followed the procedure which 670cc has described on this forum and watching a couple of youtube videos...took about 1.25 full reservoirs to get the old fluid out of the front line and about 2 full reservoirs to get the old fluid out of the rear lines...

Also changed the oil...little early at only 6,000 miles on the old oil...but the temps have been fluctuating-high yesterday was 60'F and it is going to snow in 2 days...(welcome to the Ohio River valley)...may check the valves this weekend or decide to change out the OEM air filter (even though the bike runs good, starts fine, and fuel mileage hasnt changed-except for the yearly winter blend fuel).

Changed the OEM brake fluid in the C50 boulevard (only the front as the rear is drum)...it was a little tinged (not as much as the Honda's)....thought it was due at 101,000 miles (LOL). Took both bikes for a little ride down the road to test the brakes afterward...noticed a difference in the feel of the brakes on the Honda, but not on the C50...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back