• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I cut apart a stock kickstand. Shortened it about 1 1/4" by cutting the shaft just above the toe catch bar. Re-welded it together, at the new short length. Primed and repainted it.

It will be installed on my wife's lowered 2016 NC700x. She has a Soupy's lowering kit. And a Soupy's adjustable kickstand. The Soupy's adjustable kickstand tends to poke through hot asphalt parking lots. The toe catch also snapped off last summer, it was aluminum and under-engineered for its task.

I have not installed it yet because I need to raise her bike up about an inch. When we lowered her bike, we took it all the way down. Bike is too low. So we will raise the bike up and reinstall the shortened-original kickstand, which is now longer than the current Soupy's and shorter than the stock.

I'm hoping I don't have to cut-weld-paint it again, but I think it should be perfect based on my male intuition and general manly guesstimate skills. :rolleyes:

j-Vi-Jf-Tck-Q1u3-Gkgmxm-V8-Vg.jpg

Above you can see the broken Soupy's Performance adjustable kickstand. The toe catch laying on the ground, snapped off just above the threading were it screwed into the kickstand. The rounded bottom of the Soupy's kickstand makes a nice hole in hot asphalt parking lots too.

The total length of the "new & improved" kickstand is almost 1.5" shorter than the stock kickstand.

Bare in mind I sold candy for a living and my welding skills look like I sold candy for a living. Strong but reasonably ugly weld. I smoothed it out with abrasive sanding, primed and painted.

Actually did this task on Saturday but just uploaded a photo.

Ready for reinstall tomorrow. Glad I saved the original kickstand so I could do this.

u-WNw-Fw5-FS8-WP4-GOWyu-Zwmw.jpg

My plans to take a ride up to Santa Ynez Valley were cancelled by the rioting on Saturday coming too close to home. Just 1/2 a block away.
Today I took a ride through Santa Monica, where it looked like they'd got more damage than from the 1994 earthquake.
So many businesses boarded up and some were obviously looted.
Pray for these riots to stop.

I received Dale's well nut plates today and installed them...Got tired of my 22" Cee Baileys windshield wearing out the well nuts (those rubber well nuts is one of Honda's engineering fopaux) and having to replace them couple times each year..fit like a glove. Well worth the money...Sorry no pic...got them in the mail and rushed to install them...hehehe.

I received Dale's well nut plates today and installed them...Got tired of my 22" Cee Baileys windshield wearing out the well nuts (those rubber well nuts is one of Honda's engineering fopaux) and having to replace them couple times each year..fit like a glove. Well worth the money...Sorry no pic...got them in the mail and rushed to install them...hehehe.
Honda’s stock windshield wellnuts used for the stock dinner plate sized screen are adequate. They were not intended to mount a 22” aftermarket windshield. I don’t think even Honda uses the rubber wellnuts for the Honda accessory touring screen. To me, the responsibility for ”failure” of the wellnuts lies entirely with the aftermarket shield makers. Nutplates like those made by Dale should have been provided by Cee Bailey along with their windshield. Cee Bailey screwed up.

I’m pretty sure Madstad does now provide their own nut plates with Madstad NC7x0X screens, but they did not provide them in the very beginning.

Honda’s stock windshield wellnuts used for the stock dinner plate sized screen are adequate. They were not intended to mount a 22” aftermarket windshield. I don’t think even Honda uses the rubber wellnuts for the Honda accessory touring screen. To me, the responsibility for ”failure” of the wellnuts lies entirely with the aftermarket shield makers. Nutplates like those made by Dale should have been provided by Cee Bailey along with their windshield. Cee Bailey screwed up.

I’m pretty sure Madstad does now provide their own nut plates with Madstad NC7x0X screens, but they did not provide them in the very beginning.
I agree with but those well nuts still suck.. By the way, Cee Bailey is no longer in the motorcycle windshield business....they went back to their bread and butter...windshields for airplanes...

Did nothing with mine.

Installed the cut/re-welded kickstand on the wife's NC700x and raised it a bit. It was too low. Better now. Still feels like a midget bike to me but she will appreciate the kickstand. The Soupy's Performance kickstand is not a good design. I understand why they did what they did, but its just not worth the money, especially if someone has access to a welder and some cutting tools. I bought it because I thought it would be good and it is easy to adjust, which is great if you have to play around with the height. But once the ride height is dialed in, a cut/welded stand is the way to go.

Went for a cross county ride (and back) with her bike, with her shorter Madstad I was surprised how much more wind I was getting. And considering it was 94 degrees and humid, I appreciated the airflow!

Was near empty on gas but went for a ride tonight to kinda test the limits. Also testing almost new forward pegs (thanks to everyone that’s ever posted on the topic and to 76Hawke for the consult). Also testing brand new gas bottles/mounts (thanks to everyone that’s ever posted on the topic and to Rapturee for the consult).

Just as I was about to turn back for gas and hopefully achieve over 350km (217.5 miles) on one tank, I ran out of gas and had to make an emergency roadside stop. Total distance on the tank was 343.3km (213.3 miles). Snapped these pictures, poured in some gas, and was set to go fill up.

Just as I was about to leave, I couldn’t start the bike. Display showed as if the DCT was stuck in second gear. Sounded like it would try repeatedly to shift (as if from 1st) to neutral before giving up. I think this was because, when I ran out of gas (in traffic), I must have hit the kill switch while still in 2nd gear (lesson learned). I tried a number of things but, before giving up, checked this site. Found info about DCT calibration (thanks to everyone that’s posted on the topic!) and using just the beginning of that procedure worked! Turning the ignition on while holding D bought me a couple seconds to start the bike (before it would try again to self-shift and lock me out). Off I went.

Just as I was about at the gas station, I saw it had just closed and was dark.

All-in-all a great night full of excitement, challenge, learning, and appreciation.

Gas summary (2014 NC700XD)…
Filled rather full on the weekend and rode 95% sport on 95% open roads
Gas level flashing low after usage of: 10L (2.6 gal)
Gas level flashing low after distance of: 250km (155.3 miles)
Gas used after flashing low: 3.4L (0.9 gal)
Distance after flashing low: 93.3km (58 miles)
Total gas used before running out: 13.4L (3.5 gal)
Distance on 1 tank (95% sport, 95% open road): 343.3km (213.3 miles)

Seinfeld Gas Tank Episode (36 second clip on youtube)

NC-mt.png

I need to build a holder for an electric skateboard. With the Rear Rack, it should be fairly easy. But the board is 42 inches long. So I am looking to use some framing to lean it at an angle at the back of the rear rack. The tie down points will work well for bolts (I'll need to be able to remove the system when done). Will be interesting to see how well it will work.

I need to build a holder for an electric skateboard. With the Rear Rack, it should be fairly easy. But the board is 42 inches long . . .
Have you considered using 2 parallel bamboo polls sticking out the right side of the bike and mounting the skateboard to them like an outrigger on an ocean going canoe?

Just a thought ;)

Have you considered using 2 parallel bamboo polls sticking out the right side of the bike and mounting the skateboard to them like an outrigger on an ocean going canoe?

Just a thought ;)

I did for half a second. Then when I started looking at stuff, it was outside my ability. Utalizing my "Dale's Rack" I can use less material and not have an unbalanced bike. And, what I have planned is within my ability to make.

Can you share what the bottles and mounts are that you have posted in the pictures?

Sure thing...Here, from top to bottom, are what I cobbled together. I'm pretty happy with the results. Links are Canadian, as are prices I paid (including Prime shipping but before tax).

2 x $14.53
SKS-Germany 11313 Anywhere Bicycle Attachment Water Bottle Mount
by Amazon.ca
Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZFHW1MI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_.Cc2EbS2WTRJG

2 x $21.53
Topeak Modula Java Bottle Cage
by Amazon.ca
Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004NQ94EK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BJc2EbT6PMT79

2 x $22.67
Trangia Fuel Bottle
by Amazon.ca
Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000Q6BQKG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tEc2EbAFZ11C6

Sure thing...Here, from top to bottom, are what I cobbled together. I'm pretty happy with the results. Links are Canadian, as are prices I paid (including Prime shipping but before tax).

2 x $14.53
SKS-Germany 11313 Anywhere Bicycle Attachment Water Bottle Mount
by Amazon.ca
Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZFHW1MI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_.Cc2EbS2WTRJG

2 x $21.53
Topeak Modula Java Bottle Cage
by Amazon.ca
Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004NQ94EK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BJc2EbT6PMT79

2 x $22.67
Trangia Fuel Bottle
by Amazon.ca
Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000Q6BQKG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tEc2EbAFZ11C6

So while I think these fuel bottles are a great way to carry fuel ALL THE TIME, it is actually an expensive solution to carry a small amount of fuel. And please don't take this as any criticism of what you did. I just want to use your costs as an example.

It costs roughly $90 dollars (give or take a bit) to carry 2 liters (roughly 1/2 gallon) of fuel. If the goal for members here is to ALWAYS carry a bit of extra fuel, this is probably one of the more practical ways to do so. Roughly 45 Dollars Per Liter of Fuel Carried.

Just throwing this out to refresh people's memories. There was a discussion about bottles -vs- rotax -vs- bladders -vs- small fuel cans that people may want to look at ==> https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/fuel-bladders-instead-of-msr-bottles.14651/

Most people who carry extra fuel seem to use FUEL BOTTLES.

I personally use FLEXIBLE FUEL BLADDERS for trips, and don't carry any extra fuel around home. Roughly $95 to carry 5-liters or $19 per liter (cost includes shipping)

Some people have used ROTAX systems, a few have mounted small rigid fuel cans. (Rotax + mount = $125 for 1 gallon, or $31 per liter) Mounting options for ROTAX and rigid canisters are often problematic.

Each of us has personal circumstances and refueling needs which may be very different so I am laying no judgement to how someone carries fuel, just tossing this out there. My PERSONAL choice is not to carry extra daily, I personally think its not necessary, I have no problems finding a station where I live. When I'm lazy I will refuel at home from my lawnmower gas can. Generally with my riding habits I refuel about every other day. Even if I had a larger factory fuel tank I'd still probably refuel about every other day so for me, MSR fuel canisters seem like an unnecessary Farkle. YMMV

Last edited:
Cost of fuel containers? Guys that buy farkles worry about that? ; }

The Convenience or lack of it, of actually using them rates a lot higher for me. Fuel bottles are a right pain in the axs: filling while making sure not to overfill, venting issues. etc. Rotopax has been good for me because it'll handle a lot of abuse (like being on the side of a bike like my WR250R that can get dropped off-road). They hardly ever need venting if sitting around filled for a long time, actually hold enough to get someone somewhere, are easy to fill and empty into a primary tank. I guess they are a solution for someone who actually uses them and an unneeded cost to those who really don't.

But the Rotopax has been a boon to me.

2018-07-15 14;16;15
by greenboy, on Flickr

2018-07-15 15;12;08 by greenboy, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . Rotopax has been good for me because it'll handle a lot of abuse . . . They hardly ever need venting if sitting around filled for a long time, actually hold enough to get someone somewhere, are easy to fill and empty . . . they are a solution for someone who actually uses them . . .
There are plenty of dedicated ROTOPAX fans. I don't know anyone who uses them who complains about them!

Personally I'm not a fan of fuel bottles. I own them. For carrying stove fuel while camping. But I don't personally like them as a choice for carrying moto gasoline. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back