• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a Michelin Road 5 on today. I didn't like the feel and handling of the Road 4 as much as my favored Avon TrailRider – nor did I get as many miles out of it. But in spite of the cost difference between the Avon and the Road 5 ($47 at AMT), I felt I should give it a fair try. A couple miles on it after aligning and adjusting my chain and I think I'm already liking it more than the Road 4 for feel. Doesn't seem like it'll take much to scrub it in. But of course it's when you ride in a lot of different circumstances and do some real miles that you really understand how things are stacking up.

Put a Michelin Road 5 on today. I didn't like the feel and handling of the Road 4 as much as my favored Avon TrailRider – nor did I get as many miles out of it. But in spite of the cost difference between the Avon and the Road 5 ($47 at AMT), I felt I should give it a fair try. A couple miles on it after aligning and adjusting my chain and I think I'm already liking it more than the Road 4 for feel. Doesn't seem like it'll take much to scrub it in. But of course it's when you ride in a lot of different circumstances and do some real miles that you really understand how things are stacking up.
Why did you swap from the Avon?

My wife and I both have Road 5s on our bikes. Huge improvement.

Monday I left Mormon Lake into Flagstaff. Then headed up to Page, AZ/Glenn Canyon Dam/Lake Powell. Lone Rock campground had too deep of sand for NC700X. So off I went to Kanab, UT. Clerk at Circle K there, told me of a good campsite. So off to 9,000 ft. Duck Creek campground. Next to Duck Creek Village. Cool place! It's in Dixie National Forest. Just East of Cedar City, UT. Has a overlook of Zion NP. West of Duck Creek is major lava area. With a forest growing up out of it. Very different type of a forest. Big open grassy meadow, with huge lava covering over mile wide and 50 feet high. So if your ever in area check it out. Hwy 14 between I-15 and Hwy 89. Be carefull driving Hwy 14. I saw about 50 deer on or along 14 from 89. Reminded me of driving Million Dollar Hwy at 1 am.

Tuesday morning I drove from Duck Creek to McCammon, Idaho. Was very windy on I-15 at 80 mph. Trying to decide where to go to today.

Yesterday was one of those rides that I almost didn't bring the camera since I was just going to scrub in the new Road 5 rear and gather a few more impressions on it. But at the last moment I decided to throw my long telephoto kit in the frunk along with the food and drink case. Good move since I came around a corner later and saw a large healthy male black bear in deep shade on a lower slope snacking down on foliage. Quickly pulling over and lifting the camera out of the frunk, I snapped a number of frame-filling shots without even opening up my helmet or taking off my shades since time is often of the essence in these circumstances.

Alas, at home, when I uploaded to my computer I discovered the lens's image stabilization switch – which is instrumental in handheld darker shots at a longer focal – had gotten bumped somewhere along the line and all the shots had enough long-zoom motion blur to make the shots less than stellar. Oh well. I did capture a few wider scenes. And last night I put some black gaffer tape over the switch to prevent future botches when I wouldn't have time to check the switch before shooting ; }

2020-07-09 13;34;42
by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-07-09 13;36;21
by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-07-09 13;38;43
by greenboy, on Flickr

Yesterday was one of those rides that I almost didn't bring the camera since I was just going to scrub in the new Road 5 rear and gather a few more impressions on it. But at the last moment I decided to throw my long telephoto kit in the frunk along with the food and drink case. Good move since I came around a corner later and saw a large healthy male black bear in deep shade on a lower slope snacking down on foliage. Quickly pulling over and lifting the camera out of the frunk, I snapped a number of frame-filling shots without even opening up my helmet or taking off my shades since time is often of the essence in these circumstances.

Alas, at home, when I uploaded to my computer I discovered the lens's image stabilization switch – which is instrumental in handheld darker shots at a longer focal – had gotten bumped somewhere along the line and all the shots had enough long-zoom motion blur to make the shots less than stellar. Oh well. I did capture a few wider scenes. And last night I put some black gaffer tape over the switch to prevent future botches when I wouldn't have time to check the switch before shooting ; }

2020-07-09 13;34;42
by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-07-09 13;36;21
by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-07-09 13;38;43
by greenboy, on Flickr
What with the great scenery you have in your pictures, they would still look good even taken with a pinhole camera.

What with the great scenery you have in you pictures, they would still look good even taken with a pinhole camera.
Phones can take pretty good pictures these days in many lighting circumstances. For me using a good camera is all about the controls, viewfinder, and having zoom from very wide to very long. I've seen photos from a guy that lives in a very flat part of the world, in the Netherlands. With camera flexibility and his eye for framing and subject he makes it good, even when primarily doing landscapes.

EDIT: Ferinstance, watching the Kenneth Branagh WALLANDER series, I really dig how cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle shows me the beauty of rural scenes of flat coastal regions without many features that others would find dull. I think you can be anywhere with a motorcycle (as an example) and bring out interest in what nature or man has provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you swap from the Avon?
Like I said, to try it out. IF the Road 5 rear can generally provide the great feel and handling I got out of Avon TrailRider rear (in conjunction with a TrailRider front) in a variety of conditions including composite/gravel/dry hardpack, and also give me 12500-13000 miles then the price difference will roughly balance out, and there will be even less tire changing. The Avon does a little better in mud and wet grass conditions but that isn't a deal breaker for me these days...

So far, the Road 5 feels and handles better than the last gen Pilot Road 4 so it's really down to keeping that up as wear sets in, and big longevity. If it doesn't make it to the miles I listed, I'll still know what's what. I'm basically giving Michelin another chance ; }

Like I said, to try it out. IF the Road 5 rear can generally provide the great feel and handling I got out of Avon TrailRider rear (in conjunction with a TrailRider front) in a variety of conditions including composite/gravel/dry hardpack, and also give me 12500-13000 miles then the price difference will roughly balance out, and there will be even less tire changing. The Avon does a little better in mud and wet grass conditions but that isn't a deal breaker for me these days...

So far, the Road 5 feels and handles better than the last gen Pilot Road 4 so it's really down to keeping that up as wear sets in, and big longevity. If it doesn't make it to the miles I listed, I'll still know what's what. I'm basically giving Michelin another chance ; }
I squeezed 18k from my first set of R5s. I'm about 7k into my second, rear is a little flat but it turns in well. At the end I was doing some darksiding. Only really replaced them because the road bit a chunk out of the front tire coming home from a two-up tour.

I always felt confident on the R5, love the roar of the tire sticking to the roads, the tread always did it's job and I never hydroplaned even when getting dumped on.

I did some light offroading, gravel and packed dirt roads. It wasn't the worst. I think I put a couple hundred miles off pavement.

Obligatory ymmv

I heard plenty of superlatives about the Road 4 around here. And I was underwhelmed. I'll find out for myself how well the Road 5 handles the diverse weather and road conditions around here and what it can rack up on those surfaces. The Avon Trailrider was incredible for me in wet and wet/cold conditions, could haul ass on any pavement type really in any condition, did tar snakes and hummocks better than I've seen any other tire I've tried including the Road 5, could deal out traction off the pavement where the Pilot Road 4 didn't do so well. It ended up being a pleasure for both the ride and for the wallet. Maybe the Road 5 will meet or exceed, but I'm betting "meet" is more likely ; }

EDIT: Actually I liked the Bridgestone BT023 better than the Pilot Road 4 on dry pavement – it handled and felt better and I got about the same miles out of it for way less money. On the other hand, the Bridgestone A41 was great on any dry/wet/cold/hot pavement, felt and handled better than the Road 4 including on tar snakes... but I got less than 6000 miles out of it. So its mild savings over the Avon TrailRider which FOR ME so far has been the best, didn't quite add up to a great "miles per dollar" equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thursday I rode over to Twin Falls. Checked out Shoshone Falls and Evil Kenevills Snake River jump site. Camped in Sawtooth National Forest. Friday found out from locals in Hansen. Snake River Brothers 14th Annual Bike Rally. Benefiting needy children. It's at a Lake. 3 bands last night and 3 more tonight. Nice folks out here in farmland.

I'm so disappointed in this event. All the bands talked about pow/ Mia. And not a dann thing about the needy children of magic valley. That's what this event is about. WTF!!!. The organizers need to get their crap together.

Not much riding for me lately. I live here in AZ and made a commitment when I bought the bike two years ago to ride year round. But last April I bought a new car (new to me) so that I would have something to drive to work when it was too hot, too cold or too wet. My little pickup just isn't doing it anymore since it has wipers that aren't intermittent and A/C that is. (The heater works good though.) Anyway, it's probably a good thing since my Dad wrecked his van and borrowed my truck and now wants it. (I think he's regretting not buying the same pickup when I bought mine 20 years ago.)

Well, to make a long story longer, it's been over 110 here the last couple of weeks and I have decided that I've had enough of riding through a smelting plant on the way home every afternoon. My only real problem is that if I let the bike sit for a week the battery dies. I have never bought a trickle charger because those are for people that live in the snow and can't ride year round. But I looked and found one on Amazon for about $15. - Mroinge MBC010 Automotive Trickle Battery Charger Maintainer. So far, so good. It has a cable that I bolted directly to the battery, reinstalled the cover and now I just plug it in. It also comes with the traditional clamps so I can use it on one of the cars too. Also it's so small and lightweight that I can throw it in the frunck if I need to leave it in my parent's garage.

Caught in a surprise thunderstorm 90 minutes ago, got to say that this was the first experience I've had in HEAVY downpour conditions with the Michelin ROAD 5 tires on the bike and the bike never felt insecure. Just held its grip. Put these on my bike late fall of 2019 so I think I put a couple hundred miles on them before the bike got put to bed for winter hibernation.

I've ridden after rains, in light rain/drizzle with these tires, but today was a full blown thunder-gusher that came out of nowhere, sheets of water pouring out of the sky type of rain. Sky went from overcast to black, fair weather to light drizzle to thunder + lightning. 5 miles of hilly winding 2 lanes in a downpour before I got up to the 4 lane divided highway and after a few more miles I was out of the rain with sunny skies to the north.

So 10 miles of heavy rain experience with these tires and that is not much to base my opinion on but it was varied conditions from corners with plenty of gravel, to blind hill climbs to divided highway at 75mph. In dry conditions I really like the ROAD 5, in wet conditions I can say I love them.

FWIW, the weather forecast shows no rain for 2 days!

Pretty standard here ; }

I'm digging the Road 5 a lot more than the Road 4. A lot of miles to be experienced before I can determine whether it measures up to or surpasses the miles-per-dollar equation the TrailRider has presented for me.

Pretty standard here ; }

I'm digging the Road 5 a lot more than the Road 4. A lot of miles to be experienced before I can determine whether it measures up to or surpasses the miles-per-dollar equation the TrailRider has presented for me.
Well my wife had BattleWings on her bike and I had 2 construction staples in my rear before I made the change to the Road 5.

Her BattleWings were horrid tires. Tar snakes loved those things and I never much liked them in the rain, not terrible but certainly not great. Never really inspired confidence. I don't recall what was on my bike, but it was the stock tire and it was not a BattleWing, I could probably go dig up the info but I don't care enough to do that. Both of our bikes fronts were unevenly worn, her's were far worse. I had just about 6000 miles on my tires, she had less.

Talked to the local Honda shop and he got me a pretty good price on 2 sets of Road 5 tires and I was happy. I have less than 1000 miles on these tires now, haven't had as much riding time this year due to a new foster baby that is with us, but its been mostly good riding. And I'm actually glad that I got the rain experience today.

Caught in a surprise thunderstorm 90 minutes ago, got to say that this was the first experience I've had in HEAVY downpour conditions with the Michelin ROAD 5 tires on the bike and the bike never felt insecure. Just held its grip. Put these on my bike late fall of 2019 so I think I put a couple hundred miles on them before the bike got put to bed for winter hibernation.

I've ridden after rains, in light rain/drizzle with these tires, but today was a full blown thunder-gusher that came out of nowhere, sheets of water pouring out of the sky type of rain. Sky went from overcast to black, fair weather to light drizzle to thunder + lightning. 5 miles of hilly winding 2 lanes in a downpour before I got up to the 4 lane divided highway and after a few more miles I was out of the rain with sunny skies to the north.

So 10 miles of heavy rain experience with these tires and that is not much to base my opinion on but it was varied conditions from corners with plenty of gravel, to blind hill climbs to divided highway at 75mph. In dry conditions I really like the ROAD 5, in wet conditions I can say I love them.

FWIW, the weather forecast shows no rain for 2 days!
Our storms up here aren't the epic unchecked fury of mother nature events of the southern states. But Washington deserves her reputation as a land perpetually under rainclouds.

The Road 5s are awesome. My second ride on them was in the rain. I've done thousands of rain miles. Wintertime storm miles. Laughing at the sheets of water miles.

Good rubber, good times. You're right about the tires, you don't need more miles to prove it!

But you'll get them anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back