• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for something completely different in an urban setting. Took this pic yesterday for a Photo thread on another forum. The subject requirement was "bike at a sports venue". This is our premier rugby stadium here in Ireland ..............

IMG_0054.JPG

So i had an opportunity to take the new pillion rider with me for a ride yesterday and only made it 12 miles out to the gas station and the bike would not start. Interestingly enough, i had just installed a new GEL battery earlier this spring and only have a few rides on it. It has always worked as expected when i rode before so i had no idea what the problem was with it now. I got a $10 jump start from another customer with a jump pack which i gladly paid and rode off with my new passenger right back to the garage.

i pulled the battery, everything checked out fine, i recharged it and placed it back in the bike(she went home). :{p
Now to see if it will hold up while i ride into town tomorrow morning and for the day riding around. Maybe i'll get one of those little battery amp led displays and wire that in and keep an eye out on the system. I dunno, weird deal. So many variables and yet everything looked fine, tight, clean etc. We're going to be taking a long trip together at the end of this month to the Oregon Coast so i'd sure like to make sure everything is good and clean, tight and running excellent before we leave for our 1k trip!! :{P

Almost 375 miles yesterday, to Wallace Idaho via Thompson Pass on Montana Secondary 1597156306381.png. The Montana side said MOTORCYCLE ADVISORY for the next 21 miles, and no winter maintenance, but the pavement was not sketchy in the least – it was just that a multitude of turns were marked 35, 30, 25, and even 20, dropoffs with no guard rails or shoulders. Going up was of course a little faster than coming down. I suspect Idaho's side is a forest service road that was paved at one point. It featured no signage or center stripe, had slumps and was pocked and patched and bumped, and in some places had minor gravel spills you had to watch for. Steep ups and downs and even slower.

Both sides had a lot of trailhead spurs but pullovers that a road bike could actually get a kickstand down were practically non-existant and didn't offer any vistas due to tall forest. The Montana side showed a little more drive-through scenery, less claustrophobic, but there's remnants of mining towns on the Idaho side with just a few residential gatherings and lots of dredging pile-ups along the creeks marking the history – save for Murray which actually had a main street as well, with an eatery or two, a mining history museum, and a couple of saloons. I carry my own food and drink and didn't want to deal with spotty covid awareness so I just shot a couple of pics and kept on weaving and wending all the way to Wallace which is a larger mining town on I-90, a real tourist and drinkers haven, historically renowned for its brothels and taverns. I didn't have much time there to shoot photos given the late start, but I've walked its colorful streets before.

Then it was back again, thinking about all the hiking, ATVing, and dirtbike opportunities up there and the vistas they would provide, and enjoying the heat and light... There's a lot of beauty on this route, and good vibes, but it's during the ride you feel it, rather than getting a lot of revealing wide views.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few from yesterday. First, a view into Idaho from Thompson Pass, mentioned above.

2020-08-10 14;06;59 by greenboy, on Flickr

Most of Murray ID, at one time a booming mining town.

2020-08-10 14;30;26 by greenboy, on Flickr

One of many interesting views around Wallace ID. Wallace, established in 1884 where four streams and five canyons converge on the south fork of the Coeur d'Alene River. Wallace is the nexus of the Silver Valley which is responsible for more silver than any other area of the US. Wallace from its founding until 1991 was also known for its openly flourishing brothels, long after they became illegal. It's a good town to walk around, not too large and lots of interesting shops, eateries, taverns and museums, all housed in historical buildings.

2020-08-10 15;26;25 by greenboy, on Flickr

So i had an opportunity to take the new pillion rider with me for a ride yesterday and only made it 12 miles out to the gas station and the bike would not start. Interestingly enough, i had just installed a new GEL battery earlier this spring and only have a few rides on it. It has always worked as expected when i rode before so i had no idea what the problem was with it now. I got a $10 jump start from another customer with a jump pack which i gladly paid and rode off with my new passenger right back to the garage.

i pulled the battery, everything checked out fine, i recharged it and placed it back in the bike(she went home). :{p
Now to see if it will hold up while i ride into town tomorrow morning and for the day riding around. Maybe i'll get one of those little battery amp led displays and wire that in and keep an eye out on the system. I dunno, weird deal. So many variables and yet everything looked fine, tight, clean etc. We're going to be taking a long trip together at the end of this month to the Oregon Coast so i'd sure like to make sure everything is good and clean, tight and running excellent before we leave for our 1k trip!! :{P
Ooh, Rapturee, Oregon Coast! Done probably near 100 trips down it car camping and hiking and stuff. Lots of photos on my flickr. If you get mostly non-rain days like we have it should be a great motorcycle trip. Roads wind up and down and all around, great vistas, interesting towns/villages, great variety of beaches and camping and inns – and hopefully not too many mind-numbed cage drivers.
; }

Went for ~1 hour ride to the South to visit some Octo friends. Perhaps some of the other forum members from Wisconsin will recognise these guys...

IMG_5856_PS.jpg

(Unfortunately the lighting was terrible and I couldn't get a shot with the Octos and my bike together, without parking on private property. I need to go back a little later in the evening to avoid backlit sun).
IMG_5861_PS.jpg

Looks kind purty doesn't it? But millions and millions of bucks have been spent cleaning toxins and heavy metals out of Idaho's Ninemile Creek drainage from mining starting over a hundred years ago. This drainage has dumped many kilotons of bad stuff into the Coeur d’Alene River and thus Lake Coeur d’Alene, killing and stunting fish populations among other things. I think the yellow things in the background are for monitoring groundwater and creek water quality.

...A lot of times upon riding through an area I end up going down the rabbit hole learning more about it.

2020-08-10 15;48;08 by greenboy, on Flickr

Looks kind purty doesn't it? But millions and millions of bucks have been spent cleaning toxins and heavy metals out of Idaho's Ninemile Creek drainage from mining starting over a hundred years ago. This drainage has dumped many kilotons of bad stuff into the Coeur d’Alene River and thus Lake Coeur d’Alene, killing and stunting fish populations among other things. I think the yellow things in the background are for monitoring groundwater and creek water quality.

...A lot of times upon riding through an area I end up going down the rabbit hole learning more about it.

2020-08-10 15;48;08 by greenboy, on Flickr
Beautiful area and nice photos. I am waiting for COVID to lift, if ever, so my wife can go visit her family in Panama and I can get on the bike and ride west. However it's now late in the summer, Panama is still closed and a Level-4 hotspot, so me thinks I am out of luck this year. :(

Snagged one of these sidestand/kickstand foot enlargers (duck foot) for $8.99 shipped, took ten days to arrive from China. Precisely made, good materials and finish, nice fit. Fits foot pad of ~ 45mm x 50mm.

s-l1600.jpg

Snagged one of these sidestand/kickstand foot enlargers (duck foot) for $8.99 shipped, took ten days to arrive from China. Precisely made, good materials and finish, nice fit. Fits foot pad of ~ 45mm x 50mm.

s-l1600.jpg

Hmmm. Like some other X-Adv owners I am finding that mine tends to lean a little further than I am comfortable with as the pivot area wears with use. That is further exacerbated as I tend to have my spring preloads well ramped up for rough road riding.

My question. Does fitting that foot raise the bike a little when leaning on the side stand ?

Hmmm. Like some other X-Adv owners I am finding that mine tends to lean a little further than I am comfortable with as the pivot area wears with use. That is further exacerbated as I tend to have my spring preloads well ramped up for rough road riding.

My question. Does fitting that foot raise the bike a little when leaning on the side stand ?
Yeah, but I want more. Honda's kickstand sucks with a taller tire especially. At least this foot wasn't priced like the alternatives and has 2 to 3 times the surface area the stock foot has with most of that on the outside, and making it unlikely the bike will tip in that direction ; }

Light was kind of weird today, just enough wildfire smoke to dull things a bit. Wonder if that's why there was less traffic in Glacier NP; only two Harltards playin their stereos full blast today. ...Becoming apparent I need fresh front brake pads. Anyway, here's some guys from Florida who are about to head back after a couple of weeks of making the rounds, good half-hour of BS:

2020-08-14 15;00;16 by greenboy, on Flickr

Obligatory goat pic – this time near some marmot adits:

2020-08-14 14;03;01 by greenboy, on Flickr

Kept it short today – just over 170 miles – as the temperatures in the area were likely to peak fairly early in the high 90s. So I stuck mostly around Flathead Lake and tried to make it home by the time it hit 90. Late by 1 degree ; } ...but an area I was in earlier hit 101. Here's a few (as always, higher quality larger versions available via the flickr links):

2020-08-16 11;58;07 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-08-16 12;29;56 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-08-16 12;49;12 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-08-16 13;05;58 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-08-16 13;54;25 by greenboy, on Flickr

Dang, I need a bike lift....getting too old to crawl around on the concrete floor to check the valves on the bike....muscle soreness this morning....LOL.... checked the valves on the bike yesterday, good to go as is....were they perfect (.17 and .28), no, but within specs: cylinder 1 both intakes were .16 and both exhausts were .27 while cylinder 2 were .18 and .29 respectively....same as they were 16,000 miles ago....matter of fact, these are the same settings it bike has had since the first valve check at 8,000 miles after purchase (bike now 58,000) miles...only had to adjust 1 valve once, and that was at the very first check; my buddy was showing me how to adjust the valves (for the very first time), engine was still warm but we adjusted one of the valves (to get the hang of it),,,spent the night at his house and the next day, checked and had to readjust the one valve I had adjusted on the warm engine....other valves were good.

Dang, I need a bike lift....getting too old to crawl around on the concrete floor to check the valves on the bike....muscle soreness this morning....LOL.... checked the valves on the bike yesterday, good to go as is....were they perfect (.17 and .28), no, but within specs: cylinder 1 both intakes were .16 and both exhausts were .27 while cylinder 2 were .18 and .29 respectively....same as they were 16,000 miles ago....matter of fact, these are the same settings it bike has had since the first valve check at 8,000 miles after purchase (bike now 58,000) miles...only had to adjust 1 valve once, and that was at the very first check; my buddy was showing me how to adjust the valves (for the very first time), engine was still warm but we adjusted one of the valves (to get the hang of it),,,spent the night at his house and the next day, checked and had to readjust the one valve I had adjusted on the warm engine....other valves were good.

So in essence the valves didn't need adjustment from new to 58,000 miles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back