• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What part of your rear suspension needs replaced and why?
The whole thing needs to be replaced. There is a leak in the dampener and oil has escaped, making for an uncomfortably bouncy ride. It wallows in a straight line.

I may have overloaded the bike for a few thousand miles too many. I use the NC as a touring bike as we don't have space or the money for a FJR or Goldwing. I've only put about 48 thousand miles on it. I don't think it's Honda's fault, per se, for the failure.

The whole thing needs to be replaced. There is a leak in the dampener and oil has escaped, making for an uncomfortably bouncy ride. It wallows in a straight line.

I may have overloaded the bike for a few thousand miles too many. I use the NC as a touring bike as we don't have space or the money for a FJR or Goldwing. I've only put about 48 thousand miles on it. I don't think it's Honda's fault, per se, for the failure.
I had the NC stock rear shock seal go bad and the oil leaked out at 29,000 miles. The stock shock is not high quality.

BTW, I think the load capacity on an NCX may be slightly higher than that of a GL1800, so no harm in using the NC as a touring bike.

I had the NC stock rear shock seal go bad and the oil leaked out at 29,000 miles. The stock shock is not high quality.

BTW, I think the load capacity on an NCX may be slightly higher than that of a GL1800, so no harm in using the NC as a touring bike.

How did you handle it when the seal when bad? Did you opt for a different replacement shock?
I tend to collect spare used parts when they come available, so when my original shock went bad, I installed a used spare shock I had around. Later I acquired a used Ohlins shock and put that on.

I want an Ohlins for the track bike baaaadly! Especially now since the forks are built. Wish I could run across a good used one on the cheap!

I trucked the bike 1300+ miles to Sioux City Iowa to meet up with MyCroft. Later today we’ll meet up and swap bikes! Then I’m taking it on a 4 hour ride and picking up 4 more states for my map lol!! AE27FF59-722F-43DF-BE37-DA8BF009F412.jpeg

I borrowed a buddies Tundra as he laughingly offered it saying it got better mpg than my F250 Super Duty V10... it didn’t! I get about 14mpg on the freeway and the tundra gave me 14-14.5mpg. Very disappointed in the mileage from the tundra otherwise it was a great runner.

Toyota isn't known for making fuel efficient v6 or v8's...plenty power and reliability, but terrible fuel mileage. I had an FJ cruiser with the 4.0 v6, with 33" tires, it got about 13 mpg average.

Today MyCroft and I met up and sold/swapped bikes. We went for a ride and really enjoyed each others bikes. He is happy to have another manual NC again and I am super happy to have my first DCT! We rode in the rain for our short ride together. Later I took a longer ride and covered some more territory and got dumped on but didn’t care as it was so much fun to ride the DCT.
D27A3906-5DD9-484B-83E8-DF90DC4B30D7.jpeg5DAE084B-92A5-4E84-A7AB-6E2FDB608964.jpeg312CDA5C-F6EA-4423-A16B-42819896804D.jpeg

Headed home tomorrow!!

How did you handle it when the seal when bad? Did you opt for a different replacement shock?
I uh... kept riding it for maybe 1k more miles. My last ride I went down to Portland and back. I felt more wiped out than when I did my Saddlesore 1000. My saddle was also more sore.

I decided to replace it with an Ohlins shock but I'm unsure of what spring to select. I think I'm going to contact Cogent Dynamics about their offering since they set it up most of the way. I understand the concept of setting up suspensions but I've never done it myself— yet

Today MyCroft and I met up and sold/swapped bikes. We went for a ride and really enjoyed each others bikes. He is happy to have another manual NC again and I am super happy to have my first DCT! We rode in the rain for our short ride together. Later I took a longer ride and covered some more territory and got dumped on but didn’t care as it was so much fun to ride the DCT.

Headed home tomorrow!!

I think you will continue to like the DCT. I really enjoy mine.

LOL Dale. I so like the DCT, even more than i thought i would. We'll see what the Pillion thinks of the new bike/DCT in the next couple of days. I am so excited to do a couple of things to it and then go take it to my little gas mileage test track and see how it stacks up against the manual that i recorded my best of 100.6mpg on! More to follow. :{)

After I installed all of those goodies I took her for a 2.5 hour ride and covered 2 states(Wa&Id). The smoke from the fires was choking and caused visibility to be 1/2 mile or less but I didn’t care, after a long day of wrenching it was high time for a wash and ride!!

6D389616-0379-430B-B4AD-96B8E435297D.jpeg
10506B2C-DDC9-46F8-9459-B353C9EB4E06.jpeg

I did absolutely nothing today with NC700X. We both needed a very well deserved rest. Just spent last 71 days, 11,000 miles ridding and tent camping every day. Thru all 9 Western states and 9 National Parks. This will be a summer to remember. Only things needing replaced. Rear tire in Spokane Valley, WA. Went back to OEM brake pads in Portland, OR. Front tire in Las Vegas, NV. Oil change in Kalispell, MT. The NC ran like a Champ! Got to love Honda reliability!!

I did absolutely nothing today with NC700X. We both needed a very well deserved rest. Just spent last 71 days, 11,000 miles ridding and tent camping every day. Thru all 9 Western states and 9 National Parks. This will be a summer to remember. Only things needing replaced. Rear tire in Spokane Valley, WA. Went back to OEM brake pads in Portland, OR. Front tire in Las Vegas, NV. Oil change in Kalispell, MT. The NC ran like a Champ! Got to love Honda reliability!!
Wait What 71 days 11,000 miles amazing!!!

Wow, I live and ride all of those places you mentioned. Did you post your ride and I missed it? I would have happily ride a few of those miles with you and offered tips in some areas. Sounds like a great time/trip. Hope you post some pictures and descriptions soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back