• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2020: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So NC riders I decided to head out for a solo ride and test out the off-road capabilities of this bike. I have done lots of gravel roads, fire roads as well as cottage roads but thought I may try some trails now. Well while my NC was more than adequate on most roads I found myself getting into some trouble while on some tougher trails. The fall weather here has been wet and there was plenty of standing water and greasy mud. Now I am still riding on my factory Dunlop tires so it was not really a proper trial I found that as I manoeuvred threw some of the tougher spots I could notice that this is indeed a nearly 500 lb bike. The hills were the easiest part but as I got into some mud the bike was all over the place. Had to resort to some risky driving to get threw to more dry ground. Because I do so much road touring I would not put on off road tires as I see some riders do but I still loved getting way back into the forest. I really think the NC is at its absolute best as a commuter bike. Well at least it is that for me. Just nice to be able to experience different types of riding. AC3AD335-0374-4B77-BB38-882FA566D444.jpeg

Hey BC, enjoy the ride. I too did a lot of highway riding but switched to a set of Shinko 705's for a good compromise of highway/trails. Though I found the new Shinko 705's very nice on or off-road, and they handled the trails very well....like so many other on-off road Adventure tires they absolutely do not like deep mud..! I liked my 705's so much i was on my third set when i traded my bike to MyCroft. Once the street tires are worn out on my current bike i'll be replacing them with the same Shinko 705's!! :{)

HO

how hard is it to get in the assembly?
not hard at all...I turn the front wheel full right until stop...Reach in and disconnect the plug, pull back the rubber boot; there is a wire latch, screeze down at the top of the wire and swing the wire out of the way, remove the lamp....reverse procedure for putting in new bulb...

This morning i rode about 95 miles down to Colfax Wa and met up with a guy off of Craig's List. I bought a pair of really nice Wolfman bags from him that looked like they had only been used once! I will be mounting them up front off of the engine guards for two-up touring. They are E12's and almost the perfect shape to fit the engine guard bars. :{)

Wolfman E12 bags.jpgWolfman E12 bags2.jpgWolfman E12 bags3.jpg

Overall the trip was a good ride, very blustery head/cross winds out there on the Palouse. The winds were 15-20mph with gusts at times of 45mph according to the news. I topped off the tank after the 200 mile ride and i managed 59mpg.

This morning i rode about 95 miles down to Colfax Wa and met up with a guy off of Craig's List. I bought a pair of really nice Wolfman bags from him that looked like they had only been used once! I will be mounting them up front off of the engine guards for two-up touring. They are E12's and almost the perfect shape to fit the engine guard bars. :{)

View attachment 43350View attachment 43351View attachment 43352

Overall the trip was a good ride, very blustery head/cross winds out there on the Palouse. The winds were 15-20mph with gusts at times of 45mph according to the news. I topped off the tank after the 200 mile ride and i managed 59mpg.
Just what you needed more storage after the way I saw that bike loaded up last time. I really like soft tank holders If that’s what they are?

Mount them up and lets see em.

Rode about a hundred twenty miles today through some dairy country with daughter number two and her Rebel 500. Thats a sweet little bike.

Sorry, no pics, too busy riding

BCSmith= I know right, just what i needed was a air of neat bags to put more stuff in for the next tour/trip with the Pillion.

Dale= that is a Sweet bike, what a sweet ride too and time spent with the daughter.... Priceless!! :{)

Rode a short 30 miles to and around Cd'A today looking for a Honda S2000 or a hotrod little 2-seater to snag a pic for the game of tag. Finally, i spotted a nice Silver Dodge Viper! Then a short ride over to the Pillion's house and use her computer haha(i did grab her a Dutch Bros, White Angel, white coffee and white chocolate quad shot)! It rides so nice in the new cup holder on the handle bar.... :{)

Just got my license officially this morning. The DMV was luckily very quick. I then took my NC out in the texas hill country and rode roughly 200 miles. form 9:30am to 7pm. This was my first time doing serious riding. Went with a buddy who showed how to improve my technique. I see why people like this lol

CANCELLED our motorcycle camping & hiking trip for today through Tuesday.

SWITCHED to taking the pick up truck. Temps dropped and won't reach 50 today, rain is predicted all 3 days. We will still go, but skipping the bikes, most of the trip is for hiking in the woods, the motorcycles were just mules to get us out there.

Temps are supposed to rebound and may reach 70 on Wednesday/Thursday. It was over 70 here on Friday and 60's yesterday and continuing to slowly drop. This afternoon's high is 45 with rain, ditto for Monday.

If this was a long trip we'd ride through the rain, but the trip is only 2 nights and the purpose is actually to hike, the idea of riding there was a bonus, but my wife doesn't really like riding in the rain. Hiking in the rain is not an issue. So we'll skip the ride this time.

Last edited:
Just got my license officially this morning. The DMV was luckily very quick. I then took my NC out in the texas hill country and rode roughly 200 miles. form 9:30am to 7pm. This was my first time doing serious riding. Went with a buddy who showed how to improve my technique. I see why people like this lol

Congrats...good to ride with a buddy, hopefully, one who will exhibit good habits.

Adjusted bars back, as I moved them too far forward for the last trackday, didn't like arm geometry while hanging off bike. Flipped rear tire backwards. Installed vortex adjustable brake lever. Loaded and ready to hit barber to melt some tires and knee pucks in the morning, no work Monday, all fun!

20201016_134542.jpg

20201016_134551.jpg

20201016_142310.jpg

20201016_165747.jpg

Nice weather for sure. I had to dress in full heated gear and beat back some rain today to get my ride in lol

That's rough there! It was perfect today, low 70's, light breeze.

Cooked rear tire, tread gone on right side and shouldered off on the left. Didn't crash so I guess that solidifies it as a good day Lol.

20201019_165914.jpg

20201019_165937.jpg

20201019_112321.jpg

20201019_132906.jpg

20201019_132912.jpg

20201019_132958.jpg

20201019_133050.jpg

20201019_133518.jpg

20201019_133521.jpg

20201019_133538.jpg

A few weeks ago I ordered some new Kappa 40L luggage from Italy and a new luggage rack system from mMoto in Ukraine. While the new luggage rack system is still waiting to clear customs in Kiev Ukraine, the new Kappa 40L luggage boxes arrived today as well as the new front fender extender. :{)

DCT new Kappa 40L bags.jpg

The local foliage’s fall colors are, umm, unimpressive at best but there’s a possibility of some spectacular aspen leaves further north. I’m off to do a little leaf peeping.

So once again over the Mingus Mountains and across the Verde River valley to Sedona, then up the remarkable twisting road through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. I had had some hopes that the leaves would be worth a look in Oak Creek Canyon but they were pretty blah too. The red rocks there, however, are still as amazing as ever.

OakCrkCnyn.jpg

I had planned to do a counterclockwise loop around the San Francisco Peaks and Mt. Humphreys north of Flagstaff with an optional side trip to higher altitude to Lockett Meadow, where the aspens are much thicker. But when I turned off onto the Forest Service road that branched off to Lockett Meadow, I could see from the long trails of dust up the mountain side that a lot of other folks were thinking the same. So, rather than fight the dust and crowds, I decided to stick to lower elevations but still managed to find some nice color.

Aspen+bike.jpg

The Forest Service gravel roads were, for the most part, in good condition except for being fairly heavily wash-boarded for long stretches, enough that I had to stand a lot to have a tolerable ride. And I say “for the most part” because of one fairly steep uphill section, about a quarter mile or so, which was heavily rutted and rocky with an overlay of about 3 inches of super fine “bull dust”. I didn’t know it was gonna be a problem until I was in it. But, once into something like this, I think it best to maintain momentum and keep moving so I did. The NC’s traction control, even set at 1 bar as I usually do when riding gravel, didn’t help. Up I went, bouncing from rut to rut, dust flying everywhere, the engine randomly cutting in and out thanks to the traction control … and I was too busy keeping things moving to try to cancel it.

A bit challenging but still a very nice back-country gravel road.

Lane.jpg

Then west on Interstate 40 for 20 miles or so to Williams, then back roads and local highways to the house and close the big loop.

Ride summary: 240 odd miles ( 35 gravel); elevation range 3300 ft to 8500 ft; temperature range 66*F to 87*F, clear skies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back