• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 DCT recalled

The reported history mentions some were 'bought back' and one was traded to a non-Honda dealer. I believe that was someone on this forum.
I was so sick of paying $75 each time I brought my NC750XD to the Honda service department because my bike would stall when leaving a stoplight. They kept telling me my bike was in spec's, and there is nothing wrong with it. And it never stalled for the mechanic during a test ride. They didn't believe me. So I spent $400 on a GoPro camera and recorded it stalling twice. Their answer was, it had to stall while the mechanic was riding it. And charged me another $75. I picked up my bike and rode over to the BMW dealership and traded it in on a R1200GS. Today I just received a Recall Notice for the problem that the shop did not believe me was happening.... Too Late...

I was so sick of paying $75 each time I brought my NC750XD to the Honda service department because my bike would stall when leaving a stoplight. They kept telling me my bike was in spec's, and there is nothing wrong with it. And it never stalled for the mechanic during a test ride. They didn't believe me. So I spent $400 on a GoPro camera and recorded it stalling twice. Their answer was, it had to stall while the mechanic was riding it. And charged me another $75. I picked up my bike and rode over to the BMW dealership and traded it in on a R1200GS. Today I just received a Recall Notice for the problem that the shop did not believe me was happening.... Too Late...
You had a very unfortunate experience. Ultimately Honda and the dealer's loss.

Had the recall work done on the 11th, picked up the bike on the 12th. Recall noticed arrived on the 13th. I never experienced stalling before the recall work. Unseasonably warm weather here in SE Pennsylvannia this past week so I have been able to put about 100 miles of post upgrade miles on the bke. The bike seems to run smoother overal.

Got my letter this week as well. My bike hasn’t been stalling, though I did sense hesitation off the line, especially when I first bought it and wasn’t used to it. Wonder if the reprogramming just affects fueling from a standstill or if there are other changes. Kind of like the bike the way it is ;)

I was so sick of paying $75 each time I brought my NC750XD to the Honda service department because my bike would stall when leaving a stoplight. They kept telling me my bike was in spec's, and there is nothing wrong with it. And it never stalled for the mechanic during a test ride. They didn't believe me. So I spent $400 on a GoPro camera and recorded it stalling twice. Their answer was, it had to stall while the mechanic was riding it. And charged me another $75. I picked up my bike and rode over to the BMW dealership and traded it in on a R1200GS. Today I just received a Recall Notice for the problem that the shop did not believe me was happening.... Too Late

Had the recall work done on the 11th, picked up the bike on the 12th. Recall noticed arrived on the 13th. I never experienced stalling before the recall work. Unseasonably warm weather here in SE Pennsylvannia this past week so I have been able to put about 100 miles of post upgrade miles on the bke. The bike seems to run smoother overal.
Had the recall done on the 12th and got the letter the following day. Did a ride over to Marin this afternoon and can't detect any difference in any of the automatic modes or in manual. Bike runs fine.

I would send an email to Marysville. I am pretty sure they would advocate on your behalf to encourage the dealer to refund your service fees. I would at least like to hope so.

Had my 2021 dct refreshed by dealer yesterday. It now idles faster and the clutch engagement is higher up in revs. Much better. But too cold here to ride (Pa).

Also, I have approximately 2600 mi on mine and probably 10 stalls all stopped at sign or light. I think this will help alot, I'm happy.

My 2021 NC750X stalled two times during my test ride. As soon as I tried to rev up to leave the light it would stall. I told the sales guy about the problem and... he told me that the engine is still new and just needs a few rides to be ok. I bought the bike anyway because I could live with the problem and calm down my wrist. When I saw the recall letter I realized once more that sales people are the most untrustworthy liars you can find. I never had the stalling happen since I bought the bike, but that's only because I know to rev it up carefully and not all the way from idle. Now I am curious to see how the bike behaves after I bring it in for the software fixes. Cold here, too, to ride down to the shop (PA).

I should hit 10,000 miles on my 21 in the next couple days. Still has never stalled. I'm kind of leery of having the reflash done.

I should hit 10,000 miles on my 21 in the next couple days. Still has never stalled. I'm kind of leery of having the reflash done.
From what I've read, even if you didn't have stalling issues, the reflash is said to make the engine smoother and more responsive.
Seems like a good thing to me.
What are you worried about?

From what I've read, even if you didn't have stalling issues, the reflash is said to make the engine smoother and more responsive.
Seems like a good thing to me.
What are you worried about?
Engine smoothness and responsiveness should impact both transmission types. Since the recall is only for the DCT, it makes you wonder if the manual transmission model was always smoother and more responsive, since it doesn’t seem to require the new software. Or, in the opposite sense, is the manual‘s fueling actually still poor, and Honda is going to ignore it?

Engine smoothness and responsiveness should impact both transmission types. Since the recall is only for the DCT, it makes you wonder if the manual transmission model was always smoother and more responsive, since it doesn’t seem to require the new software. Or, in the opposite sense, is the manual‘s fueling actually still poor, and Honda is going to ignore it?
My thought (as a manual owner) is the fueling is probably not optimal but being a manual, the rider naturally compensates when it stumbles. I have always felt there was a 'lean stumble' when taking off from a stop on mine. I have been writing it off to me needing to adjust from the FJR which bumped the idle as you began to release the clutch.

I have adjusted my technique to the bike.

Or was Honda cheaping out again?
Each recalled bike might cost them $50 for the dealer's remuneration, plus the administrative costs for Honda.
A second, different re-flash would be needed for the manual trans versions.

No one except the Honda engineers will ever know the answer to your question.

My hesitation comes from my recent FJR transmission recall. After my recall and reflash was done my bike was NOT as smooth as before the recall, and part of the reason why I traded it in on the NC. Yamaha has since issued a second recall with another reflash to cure throttle issues guys are having after the first reflash was done (mostly rpm limitation problems). My FJR was perfect before the recall and not afterwards. Hence my hesitation for having ANOTHER bike that is currently riding fine messed with.

My understanding of the stalls was simply that the clutch would cut too early with the revs being still low. If it was a manual clutch, I would simply rev it up more before releasing the clutch (you kinda know where your machine needs it). But with DCT you don't have that choice, it's all in the hands of DCT when to engage the clutch. So, I don't think the software update has anything to do with the manual transmission, it should only impact DCT. I am a newbie in this forum, and I am not sure what "engine smootheness" means. It reminds me on how the engine itself works, and I don't think they are messing with the electronic fuel injection ratios in the software update. They are probably just idling more and engaging the clutch later to make sure there is no stall.

Back