• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 Honda CRF300 and CRF300L Touch Down In Europe

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site

An Extra 50cc’s For Your Trouble​

The 2021 Honda CRF 250L and CRF 250 Rally have arrived in Europe and have managed to gain 50cc’s somewhere along the way. That’s right, Europe is getting a CRF300L and CRF300 Rally (it probably has something to do with the fact that Europe has quite a few high-speed roadways compared to Japan).

2021-honda-crf300-rally-left-front-angle-1024x576.jpg

These new bikes will come outfitted with Honda’s 286cc single-cylinder thumper producing 27 horsepower and 20 lb-ft of torque. The engine got an overhaul which lead to the stroke becoming longer, thus the bump in displacement and power. Obviously, it goes without saying, these bike bros will come fully Euro 5 compliant (can I stop adding that yet?).

2021-honda-crf300l-left-front-angle-1024x576.jpg

Beyond the motorcycles having slightly bigger displacement, they are pretty much 99% true to the original 250’s that were released in Japan. These 300’s don’t have the same LED lighting systems found on the 250’s. They dropped all lights for the L and the Rally gets a single headlight.

The 2021 year bring some updates to the 250 and 300’s. The Rally edition has a bigger 12.8L tank while the standard L has a 7.8L tank. The Rally Edition also gets some bigger bars and led indicators.

If you’re a European dual-sport fan, head down to your local Honda dealer and check em’ out!

The post 2021 Honda CRF300 and CRF300L Touch Down In Europe appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

According to Honda, the displacement gain is about 36cc, not 50cc as stated in this article.

Last edited:
According to Honda, the displacement gain is about 36cc, not 50cc as stated in this article.

Exactly. I am also skeptical about the quoted HP and torque gains from a mere 37cc despite the throttle body and cam changes. As such I will await a direct comparison before getting interested. Tbh I am very happy with my 2016. I am not much interested in a HP gain either to be honest because I am rarely up at that level of revs. The torque figures are where its at for trail riding for me.

Griff, by torque figures, you may be suggesting that bottom end power is important for trail riding, and I agree it is. I always thought the CRF250 engine, borrowed from the CBR250, wasn’t quite the right engine for the CRF250. The short stroke doesn’t make for much power at low revs. The good news on the CRF300 is that the displacement gain comes entirely from increased stroke. Perhaps the (small) power gain will be in the lower rpm range.

Griff, by torque figures, you may be suggesting that bottom end power is important for trail riding, and I agree it is. I always thought the CRF250 engine, borrowed from the CBR250, wasn’t quite the right engine for the CRF250. The short stroke doesn’t make for much power at low revs. The good news on the CRF300 is that the displacement gain comes entirely from increased stroke. Perhaps the (small) power gain will be in the lower rpm range.

Good point. I will certainly try for a back to back comparison and then consider.

So far any reviews I am seeing (mostly from Thailand) are suggesting a noticeable increase in torque with peak torque and HP lower in the rev range. CRF owners who previously converted their bikes using crashed 300 road engines are saying "I told You so". Reviews are also reporting slightly lower weight and quicker steering. Shock is deemed adequate by some. I had hoped to get a ride on a demo to compare with my 250 but it appears that will not happen as the little bikes are in big demand but short supply.

Considering everything I have placed an order for one and expect to have it in "early March". A friend who has a mechanic shop will purchase mine and will hold it for a while with the option for me to have it back if I don't like the 300 which he will take instead. I am of course now looking forward to the new bike and the farkle purchasing that will accompany it. I think my folding gear lever and bashplate may well fit the 300 because I think the lower frame has not been changed.

So far any reviews I am seeing (mostly from Thailand) are suggesting a noticeable increase in torque with peak torque and HP lower in the rev range. CRF owners who previously converted their bikes using crashed 300 road engines are saying "I told You so". Reviews are also reporting slightly lower weight and quicker steering. Shock is deemed adequate by some. I had hoped to get a ride on a demo to compare with my 250 but it appears that will not happen as the little bikes are in big demand but short supply.

Considering everything I have placed an order for one and expect to have it in "early March". A friend who has a mechanic shop will purchase mine and will hold it for a while with the option for me to have it back if I don't like the 300 which he will take instead. I am of course now looking forward to the new bike and the farkle purchasing that will accompany it. I think my folding gear lever and bashplate may well fit the 300 because I think the lower frame has not been changed.
Thanks for the update, Griff. I may reluctantly order a new CRF300L Rally when they become available to order in the States (not yet). My reluctance only comes from the large amount of work it will take to move all my present 250 modifications over to the 300. I will probably need to own both bikes for awhile during the changeover.

Thanks for the update, Griff. I may reluctantly order a new CRF300L Rally when they become available to order in the States (not yet). My reluctance only comes from the large amount of work it will take to move all my present 250 modifications over to the 300. I will probably need to own both bikes for awhile during the changeover.

Yes the transfer of gear is always an issue and on this occasion I think the only items that will move across to the 300 from my 2016 are the folding shift pedal and possibly the plastic bash plate. As the subframe has changed I assume the old carrier will no longer fit and I will see how the shock on the new bike pans out.

I’m hoping the bolt spacing for rear rack mounting is unchanged between the 250 and 300. I would sure like to swap over my rack and Pelican top case.

Carrier in from Bikerzbits for the 300 which is expected around month end. It is well constructed and finished. However it weighs three and a half pounds and that makes it considerably heavier than its 250 predecessor. Too heavy imho. I think part of the problem is that it is over engineered. Too many crossbars and the grab handles. However the main tubes are also considerably larger in diameter than the 250 item. By comparison the 250 item looks spindly but it is robust and always worked well for me. I think I will be removing some metal from the 300 item
:hmmmmm
. My 250 is a 2016 but as I suspected the mounting points are different

P1080014.JPG

P1080015.JPG

Got a call today from the dealer to advise that my 300 is due to touch down with him today. If that happens then I should have it in a week or so.

Can't even order one yet in the USA.

Well today I parted with my trusty CRF250L. This has been for me one of my favourite all time bikes. Its a modest little bike, but its up there with other former faves such as the GL1800, KTM 950SM, Triumph 1200 Explorer. Obviously they are all very different, but for me they had that something special that made them all memorable. I parted with the others for various reasons but with the exception of the KTM the others went because of my increasing age and their weight. The KTM went because it was just too easy to go way too quick on it, and I was afraid that sooner or later I would come to grief on it.

The 250 is now being replaced by the 300 and if that bike is half as good as the 250 it will be great. I enclose a couple of pics of the 250 taken today before passing it on to the new owner. I have had it for 4 years and 24,500kms and during that time it has been used primarily as a Trail bike on trails and bogs and dirty old backroads where I spend the vast majority of my motorcycling. It has been a joy thoughout, as can be seen in the last photo of the set. Goodbye little friend and thank You for a wonderful four years.

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

PHOTO-2019-07-23-17-55-25.jpg

Got it on tuesday and now have about 600 kms on it. Happy enough so far.

View attachment 44515

View attachment 44516
It sure is pretty. I’m looking forward to your review and comparison to the 250! Have fun!

Question 1: It looks like maybe you have a rack that transferred from the old bike. Am I correct in assuming that the rear bolt spacings where the rack mounted are the same on 250 and 300 nodels?

What an attractive bike!
Is the seat padding plank-like, or is it reasonably tolerable for an hour of sitting?
I can‘t speak for the 300, but the 250 seat for me is good for 8 hours of riding in a day several days in a row. Not something you would want to tour on, but more comfortable than it looks.

It sure is pretty. I’m looking forward to your review and comparison to the 250! Have fun!

Question 1: It looks like maybe you have a rack that transferred from the old bike. Am I correct in assuming that the rear bolt spacings where the rack mounted are the same on 250 and 300 nodels?

see post 10 above with photo, and the answer is that the spacings are different. My moose bash plate doesn't fit either. I will also have to replace the shock because the spring is fully preloaded at this point and just about copes with my weight but any more weight would be too much for it. I will go for YSS again.

My comparison of course will be with the 2016 250. The short review is that the power increase is modest (as I expected) but certainly noticeable, especially the torque aspect. I will probably never compare max HP. Riding it now with 850Kms on the odo I am happy that I made the change. It is a freer revving motor than my 2016. Because of that I find myself revving it a little higher than I did the 250 thru the lower gears. It is not a conscious thing, it just happens. I like the new gearing especially offroad. The entire power/gearing arrangement makes it easier to make brisk progress on backroads with less input than is required on the 250. There is a very slight increase in vibes over 6000rpm but not enough to bother me. The entire bike is an all round improvement imho. Even the shock works better albeit the spring is not quite strong enough for my 80kg (lightly dressed). It is just as economical on gas as the 250 was for me.

The exhaust note is louder and that was totally unexpected. The silencer is quite different with the cat now added to the lower end of the silencer rather than in it. At first I was worried about the exhaust note from the point of view of riding offroad, but I am getting used to it. Hopefully it will not be a nuisance. Mine has ABS and the rear wheel aspect is switchable. So far its intrusions in my riding have been slight.

All questions answered hereafter. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back