• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 NC750X DCT will not start, not going into neutral

So there is a high probability that you will also experience the "DCT stuck in gear" event. Don't be shy to tell us about it ...:cool:
I've had 2 "events", as I mentioned above. Both as a newbie rider at cornering speeds when I hit the kill switch unintentionally. When at a dead stop, it's in neutral by default, so what's wrong with using the key to shut it down? The kill switch is for emergencies typically, not for just shutting your bike off. I've never once had it get stuck in gear using the key to turn it off when fully stopped.

Last edited:
I've had 2 "events", as I mentioned above. Both as a newbie rider at cornering speeds when I hit the kill switch unintentionally. When at a dead stop, it's in neutral by default, so what's wrong with using the key to shut it down? The kill switch is for emergencies typically, not just for shutting your bike off every time. I've never once had it stuck in gear using the key to turn it off.
"I've never once had it stuck in gear using the key to turn it off."

The owner's manual clearly states to place the DCT bike in N before turning the key off. If you rely on the transmission to shift itself into neutral when the key is turned on to start the bike you run the risk it will not find N if the battery is partially or fully discharged or the dogs on first gear are jammed tight when the clutch disengages when the engine is turned off.

Avoid the risks and develop the habit of selecting N before turning the bike off.

Last edited:
"I've never once had it stuck in gear using the key to turn it off."

The owner's manual clearly states to place the DCT bike in N before turning the key off. If you rely on the transmission to shift itself into neutral when the key is turned on to start the bike you run the risk it will not find N if the battery is partially or fully discharged or the dogs on first gear are jammed tight when the clutch disengagees engages when the engine is turned off.

Avoid the risks and develop the habit of selecting N before turning the bike off.
I'll be ok man lol. I've had the bike for 3 years now, and had 2 instances of getting stuck in gear my very first month of ever riding, both due to my fat hand hitting the kill switch while at moving speeds. I've never had any other instance of starting issues, or getting stuck in gear after shutting down. Regardless of how I shut down, it's never not been in neutral when I turn the key back on for the next ride. It'll be fine.

I've had 2 "events", as I mentioned above. Both as a newbie rider at cornering speeds when I hit the kill switch unintentionally. When at a dead stop, it's in neutral by default, so what's wrong with using the key to shut it down? The kill switch is for emergencies typically, not for just shutting your bike off. I've never once had it get stuck in gear using the key to turn it off when fully stopped.

Is it in neutral whenever you are at a dead stop? If you twist the throttle it will go.

If you put it in neutral with the neutral button, and twist the throttle it doesnt go anywhere.

Is it in neutral whenever you are at a dead stop? If you twist the throttle it will go.

If you put it in neutral with the neutral button, and twist the throttle it doesnt go anywhere.
At a stop you can walk a dct back and
forth, that's a pretty solid sign it's not "in gear" or it wouldn't budge. Yes, when you hit the throttle the computer would sense that and tells the dct to go into first now. Idk, I'm not a Honda engineer. I just ride a 2nd hand bike for fun on occasion. I've put over 8,000 miles on it riding it this way. No mechanical issues. Didn't know shutting a bike down with the key would cause such a tizzy lol

forth, that's a pretty solid sign it's not "in gear" or it wouldn't budge. Yes, when you hit the throttle the computer would sense that and tells the dct to go into first now. Idk, I'm not a Honda engineer. I just ride a 2nd hand bike for fun on occasion. I've put over 8,000 miles on it riding it this way. No mechanical issues. Didn't know shutting a bike down with the key would cause such a tizzy lol
My comment to the OP was how to fix it should it get stuck in gear, and I somehow became the target because I shut it down with the key, and have had no I'll effects doing so without switching to N first. To each their own

You are not a target but your description isn't accurate and people seek forums for good information.

The DCT bike can idle in gear just like a manual transmission bike does with the clutch pulled in. You can also walk a manual bike back and forth when it's in gear if the clutch is pulled in (disengaged). When you rev the DCT bike the clutch engages and off you go. The computer didn't put it in gear.... it was already in gear.

At a full stop, it puts itself back into neutral. Guess I never bothered to do it manually. Seems like an unnecessary step?
Riders don’t have to understand all the workings of the motorcycle, but knowing when it’s in gear or in neutral is important information. Just like driving an automatic car, it is useful to know when the car is in Drive or in Neutral.

For the sake of clarity for all, and as dduelin already explained, when riding the DCT and coming to a stop, the transmission is in first gear and the clutches are disengaged. Like the Ferret said, all you need do is twist the throttle, and the odd gear clutch engages and the bike moves. If you come to a stop and push the N (neutral) button, then first gear will be disengaged and the transmission is in neutral.

Update:
I put the battery on the charger overnight and in the morning it had recovered full charge, 12.77V measured with a multimeter. Family obligations during the day prevented me from looking for wiring problems. This morning the battery voltage has dropped slightly to 12.69V measured with a multimeter. The voltage displayed on the bike has remained a constant 12.3V after the battery was recharged.

Once the battery was fully charged I switched the bike on and it shifted into neutral on its own. I'll take it for a short ride this morning once I get some of the chores done. Not sure what I expect to see but it is a beautiful morning here and I have an itch to ride. After that I'll start looking for a short, starting with the non-original wiring.

I'll be working to change my habit of using the kill switch without shifting to neutral first when turning the bike off.

Thanks for the help and comments.

Update:
I put the battery on the charger overnight and in the morning it had recovered full charge, 12.77V measured with a multimeter. Family obligations during the day prevented me from looking for wiring problems. This morning the battery voltage has dropped slightly to 12.69V measured with a multimeter. The voltage displayed on the bike has remained a constant 12.3V after the battery was recharged.

Once the battery was fully charged I switched the bike on and it shifted into neutral on its own. I'll take it for a short ride this morning once I get some of the chores done. Not sure what I expect to see but it is a beautiful morning here and I have an itch to ride. After that I'll start looking for a short, starting with the non-original wiring.

I'll be working to change my habit of using the kill switch without shifting to neutral first when turning the bike off.

Sounds good. Just be aware that when lead acid batteries are deeply discharged, as in your case, they likely will not recover to the same storage capacity they once had.

The question would be why did the voltage of the battery fall to 10.3?
Sure you charged it back to a respectable state, but will it stay there?
Meaning how old is the battery?
Maybe its time for a new one.
A good battery should be able to attempt a start many times and not drop so far in voltage.

Update:

That's good news Lee. Now you just need to track down that parasitic current draw.

The question would be why did the voltage of the battery fall to 10.3?
Sure you charged it back to a respectable state, but will it stay there?
Meaning how old is the battery?
Maybe its time for a new one.
A good battery should be able to attempt a start many times and not drop so far in voltage.
The picture of the gauge package he posted in post 4 indicates it's a "21" model, so battery can't be too old. He does have 4 aftermarket electrical connections, one or more of which that could be drawing current from his battery.

A 2021 bike could have a battery made prior to 2021. Age of a battery means nothing. I have had 12v batteries last 7 years, I have had some last only a year. If there was no drain on the battery and it dropped to 10ish volts, time for a new battery....many factors influence how long a battery lasts....keeping them on a battery tender does not ensure longtivity.

"...many factors influence how long a battery lasts....keeping them on a battery tender does not ensure longtivity."

Agreed! But at 4 years I'm looking for a new one.
Here the winters get below zero temps.
If in October I find my car battery is 6 or 7 years old , I'm getting a new one so that I do not have a no start condition from the extreme cold!!
And Yes I have had batteries suddenly die, just because of age! More than two!

There is a known issue with all Honda DCTs, it is designed to be turned off in neutral and will occasionally stick if you don’t. A mechanic told me it had to do with a solenoid, no idea if that’s right. At any rate, don’t fight it. Just put it in neutral before hitting the kill switch or turning the key off or putting the kickstand down. That’s why there is a park brake.

Last edited:
( ... "there is a park brake" because "the clutch disengages when the engine is turned off" as said dduelin.
Engine off -> no oil pressure for clutches -> no "transfer", rear wheel is free. Unlike "classic" clutches, springs disengage DCT clutches... )

Update #2
I did the leakage test recommended by Lootzyan - no leakage, 0.000 mA .
Overnight the voltage held at 12.68V multimeter, 12.3V displayed.

I got the bike in September 2021, a week after the dealer got it. So I guess the battery could be a 2020 manufacture date, unlikely that it is older.

I didn't get anything else done on the bike yesterday. When I got home from my morning run my son called. He had the day off and we spent the day doing yard work. He worked me too hard. I took an nap after he left. It's tough keeping up with someone 40 years younger.

Thanks for the support,
Lee

Back