• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021 NC750x up for Motorcycle of the Year award?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting take on the Honda NC750x from Motorcycle.com

Article was posted 2 days ago, not sure how I missed it but I finally saw it today. Good read. Great bike. Honestly I don't know why more bikes are not like the NC750x. But that is the loss of the other brands. Honda clearly has a winner.

Interesting take on the Honda NC750x from Motorcycle.com . . .Honestly I don't know why more bikes are not like the NC750x. . . .
The answer to that question can be seen in comparison discussions about other bikes, like the current NT1100 discussion. Many semi-satisfied current NC owners, and many unsatisfied former NC owners say they need more power, more power, more power.

The answer to that question can be seen in comparison discussions about other bikes, like the current NT1100 discussion. Many semi-satisfied current NC owners, and many unsatisfied former NC owners say they need more power, more power, more power.
I believe that is a uniquely North American perspective where some judge all motorcycles against HD and if the engine isn't a big V-twin then the bike is obviously underpowered and no way it can keep up with the slow crawl it takes to ride with the hogs and they group ride their way from bar-to-bar during a charity poker runs.

Me I'd rather have a bike that actually does what I want it to do, everyplace I want it to do it, and take me where I want to go. All with ease and comfort.

Amazing how 65 horse 900 lb HD’s are “fast” and 50+ 500 lb bikes from other makers are “slow”.
The NC is by no means a “fast” motorcycle compared to the 100-150 hp bikes out there, BUT it will happily run extra legal speeds all day long, handles nicely and is pretty nimble. I was on a twisty road a couple days ago and had a couple pirates behind me. They were obviously wanting to play but my slow little NC left them behind pretty easily on that nice twisty road

I ride with HDs and Goldwings. They beat me on the flat and straight every time, but I out corner them most times too. HDs are cruisers. Cruisers are designed for freeway/Highway. They are much more planted than our bikes in those conditions but we do lots of things that they can’t (like not needing a second mortgage to afford my NC). Each is a unique tool. The issue is that the NC is the leatherman multi tool of the motorcycle world and everything it does is a compromise. It isn’t best at anything but it’s pretty decent at everything. I don’t see it as motorcycle of the year because that is decided by journalists who often are disconnected from the realities of those of us who only own one bike.

Amazing how 65 horse 900 lb HD’s are “fast” and 50+ 500 lb bikes from other makers are “slow”.
The NC is by no means a “fast” motorcycle compared to the 100-150 hp bikes out there, BUT it will happily run extra legal speeds all day long, handles nicely and is pretty nimble. I was on a twisty road a couple days ago and had a couple pirates behind me. They were obviously wanting to play but my slow little NC left them behind pretty easily on that nice twisty road
Who in the world calls a Harley Davidson fast? Nobody I know. In an acceleration test I imagine an HD Road KIng and an NC 750 would be a pretty good race...guessing 14 second quarter mile ets for both, but the road King would eat the NC alive in top speed. Personally I wouldn't call either of them fast. Heck an 800 pound Goldwing will beat them both thru the quarter mile by 2 seconds. Anyone who thinks an NC is fast has never ridden a fast bike.

Yes it will run the legal speed limits and then some, it will just take a while getting there.

The NC was never designed to be fast. It has other attributes. Good gas mileage, light weight and apparently it's most popular feature, the frunk.

Ask the. HD guys-most of ‘em “know” that they’re on the fast bikes. Seriously though, none of these are “fast”. I have had a Ducati SS, an FJR, and a 1050 Triumph, they were all fairly fast. Stock air cooled HD’s are good for a bit over a ton but that’s pretty much it. I really don’t understand the whole need for “fast”, my old Duc would hit 100 in 3rd, but you couldn’t ride down the road at 65 in 6th (Was lugging), the Feejer would have you running 90+ when you “thought” you were at 60. I’m past the point of spending much time above 85 or so. For my riding the little NC works quite well. Power is down where I spend my time, not up in the stratosphere where I never go…YMMV

Ask the. HD guys-most of ‘em “know” that they’re on the fast bikes. Seriously though, none of these are “fast”. I have had a Ducati SS, an FJR, and a 1050 Triumph, they were all fairly fast. Stock air cooled HD’s are good for a bit over a ton but that’s pretty much it. I really don’t understand the whole need for “fast”, my old Duc would hit 100 in 3rd, but you couldn’t ride down the road at 65 in 6th (Was lugging), the Feejer would have you running 90+ when you “thought” you were at 60. I’m past the point of spending much time above 85 or so. For my riding the little NC works quite well. Power is down where I spend my time, not up in the stratosphere where I never go…YMMV
Oldbear... no one can answer to your needs, but you. Same for me. Same for everyone else on this board. This bike (the NC) answers the needs for those that own them and truly enjoy them. For those that it is not enough, they sell them or trade them in on something else. There are fans of the PC 150 scooter like the guy who wrote the article, or fans of a CBR300R both of which have far less hp than an NC. But a PC 150 or CBR 300 may not answer your needs. You can never have a definitive answer for how much power is enough power, or how much power one actually needs. For that bar is set by the individual and not by quarter mile times or speed limit signs. It's by the feeling you get when you ride it.

I'm a semi-satisfied NC owner as 670cc would put it. Yea, it's doing everything I ask of it, but it doesn't THRILL me. I'd love to have more hp and torque in the same size/weight package. The other day I was riding with my brother on his 2016 Triumph Bonneville. We'd come out of a curve onto a straight and he'd just walk away from me without even trying or without realizing it. He's not even a fast rider. He'd just dial in a little bit of throttle and be gone. Yea, I'd catch up eventually, but not without running the snot out of the NC. On that day I wasn't a particularly satisfied NC owner. I am usually more happy with the bike when I am riding alone, and I don't have to "keep up".

As far as being able to out run someone else thru a curvy section of road, that is almost every time determined by the ability of the rider and not by the bike. It takes an awfully technical section of road to give an advantage to a smaller horsepower bike over a larger horsepower bike. I know guys that ride Harleys, Goldwings, ST 1300's, FJR's, MT-10's even BMW's GS's and 1600's incredibly fast thru the curvy bits. Beyond my comprehension of how they can do it... but it's the rider, not the bike. Those guys could ride anything fast. Some guys are truly fast. Some guys think they are fast.

It is possible that the NC could win Motorcycle of the Year in it's category. But it won't be because it's fast.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's funny, seems like every time I ride my CB650r, the Harley guys try to show me how "fast" their bikes are. I usually humor them, but they don't get the outcome they are expecting.

My thoughts on my NC. As for the rant more power, more power I have this thought. If I have more power I tend to use it. I bought my NC with the thought of doing some cruising, commuting and some fire roads type of off the beaten trail. For this the NC has plenty of power for me. My days of burning up the pavement are behind now ( left that behind in my 20’s ) Now that I am out to enjoy some wind therapy and practice my riding techniques I like others here like my bike to perform in my wheelhouse zone (something closer to legal limits) No use having 100+ horsepower if you are not going to be using it. Bottom line is I love my NC and the sticker price, insurance costs and gas mileage make it an affordable hobby.

Sold a big VStrom and took same money and bought my low milage NC 700. Honda is much more tractable easy to ride and quieter. Strom was top heavy. Power delivery was twitchy and quirky and it was hard to push around the garage. Fun bike but at 67 I don't need that much power to get where I am going.

I want the NT in the worst way but will not get rid of my NC750x, its like a Swiss army knife.

I believe that is a uniquely North American perspective where some judge all motorcycles against HD and if the engine isn't a big V-twin then the bike is obviously underpowered and no way it can keep up with the slow crawl it takes to ride with the hogs and they group ride their way from bar-to-bar during a charity poker runs.

Me I'd rather have a bike that actually does what I want it to do, everyplace I want it to do it, and take me where I want to go. All with ease and comfort.
I can't stand Harley's (Antequated technology at its finest), everytime I rode with my buddies some which own Harleys tried like hell to lose me when I had my burg 650 and they tried it with the NC now, you wanna see some frustrated HD riders. LOL

I want the NT in the worst way but will not get rid of my NC750x, its like a Swiss army knife.
IMHO, the 2022 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello's specs and photos make the NT look pathetic.
And it will be available in N. America, unlike the NT.
However, if you need a DCT, the European NT is your only hope for now.
And yes, that's shaft drive you see.

web_01-Moto-Guzzi-V100-Mandello.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO, the 2022 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello's specs and photos make the NT look pathetic.
And it will be available in N. America, unlike the NT.
However, if you need a DCT, the European NT is your only hope for now.

The new Moto Guzzi Mandello indeed looks great, but it doesn't come with bags, and I've not even seen them offered as an option, has an unproven 1st year engine and drive train, lots of electronics which the Italians aren't exactly famous for doing reliably, will probably cost a couple thou more than the NT and well, it's a Moto Guzzi so it's going to be weird, and have a lousy dealer network.

Maybe in 2 or 3 years when they have the bugs worked out.

Newer Geese are pretty decent rides-I really like the V85, course I’m a huge fan of shaft drive on Cycles. Worse thing about Guzzi is the scarce and generally poor dealer network. Still, I’d buy one if I could get it right. The air cooled bikes are pretty simple-not sure about the new water cooled-think I’d give them a few years to get the bugs worked out

Back