• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire your bravery in the attempt at least.

For me an adventure on a 500 pound motorcycle almost always takes place on hard surfaces. A gravel parking lot would be about as adventuresome as I am willing to go.

For anything tougher I want a Honda or Yamaha 250 Enduro type motorcycle.

Location is everything. I've ridden gravel roads in various GA, NC, TN locales that were maintained to a reasonable state, at least no problems with my NC or Triumph on street tires. I found myself actually pretty much alone for the most part.

Rode across my lawn from my main driveway to the workshop/back garage. No helmet, no armored moto gear. just shorts and a t-shirt. I live a wild and dangerous life.
I once did a similar stunt riding my cruiser around the block. I felt like Peter Fonda in Easy Rider. One of the movies that inspired me to ride.

Then I remembered the end of the movie and it didn't seem as fun.

I
Location is everything. I've ridden gravel roads in various GA, NC, TN locales that were maintained to a reasonable state, at least no problems with my NC or Triumph on street tires. I found myself actually pretty much alone for the most part.
I'm guessing that the last year or so of Covid 19 has had a negative impact on a lot of recreational areas. This area was so much worse than its description that they would have to suspend use and work for quite some time to get it up to par.

Rode across my lawn from my main driveway to the workshop/back garage. No helmet, no armored moto gear. just shorts and a t-shirt. I live a wild and dangerous life.
Don't mean to sound disrespectful, but wearing a t-shirt and lacking a burning cigarette and a 300 lb passenger in flammable spandex diminishes the level of wild danger somewhat...

So I am hoping to get into an advanced rider training course this summer. I have been watching training videos online and have come to realize that I have some bad habits. I went to a parking lot today and worked on some of the drills that I have been watching and I did alright. Been working hard on my emergency braking as well as some swerving drills. Throw in some low speed maneuvering and that was enough. Out on the highway for about an hour ride as it was a beautiful night. What do some of you NC riders do to keep your skills sharp???

Don't mean to sound disrespectful, but wearing a t-shirt and lacking a burning cigarette and a 300 lb passenger in flammable spandex diminishes the level of wild danger somewhat...
Not sure if it gives me any more street cred or not, but there were 3 yapping dogs running along the fence line while I rode to the back. And I didn't have any socks on, so that has to count for something too.

It looks like your are still braking, that's very deep trail braking!
While I do brake late and deep (only way I can pass people lol) I think what is pictured here is more of what I would refer to as control or maintenance braking. Similar to what some refer to as maintenance throttle, where you get back on the throttle mid-turn just before you cram it and accelerate out. I kinda use the front brake lightly and the throttle at the same time for a smooth transition back onto the gas at or just before apex, and then release brake completely and drive out of the turn early as possible.

Kind of difficult to explain, but helps the feel in between full brakes and full throttle. I'm sure you get the idea.

So I am hoping to get into an advanced rider training course this summer. I have been watching training videos online and have come to realize that I have some bad habits. I went to a parking lot today and worked on some of the drills that I have been watching and I did alright. Been working hard on my emergency braking as well as some swerving drills. Throw in some low speed maneuvering and that was enough. Out on the highway for about an hour ride as it was a beautiful night. What do some of you NC riders do to keep your skills sharp???
I tend to do circles and then move to 8's. I find controling the speed, moving the head and the bars through the full range ot motion to be the most beneficial to me.

I only washed mine and put the cover back on it. I have been doing a lot of painting/sheetrock work lately so i have not been able to take the bike to work lately. Though Pillion and i did make a 250+ mile ride Sunday and took her to work and picked her up from work afterwards. Super cool day on the bike with her and both of us had saddle-sore butts the following day haha. :{P

At the end of the ride after she was off from work, we headed over to Idaho to grab a picture for the game of tag!

IMG_5562.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

Had a great time on the 250+ mile ride. Her Arse was hurting as much as her back so i removed my air-bob seat cover and added it to the top box for her to have a little more back support. Happy Pillion...happy-ride!
:{)

While I do brake late and deep (only way I can pass people lol) I think what is pictured here is more of what I would refer to as control or maintenance braking. Similar to what some refer to as maintenance throttle, where you get back on the throttle mid-turn just before you cram it and accelerate out. I kinda use the front brake lightly and the throttle at the same time for a smooth transition back onto the gas at or just before apex, and then release brake completely and drive out of the turn early as possible.

Kind of difficult to explain, but helps the feel in between full brakes and full throttle. I'm sure you get the idea.
Yeah I get it. The ST1300's fuel injection was distinctly on/off when coming off closed throttle and when combined with gear lash in the shaft drive I would use the front brake similarly to ease the transition from closed throttle to opening to maintenance throttle then exit throttle to pick up the bike all so as not to upset the suspension. It's kind of like stretching a rubber band when overlapping throttle and brake as it keeps the drive train under load and it doesn't take up all at once mid-corner. I guess the aftermarket dog-leg lever makes it look like you are using more brake than you were actually using.

I love Iron Horse Lodge! Stayed there once last year. Super awesome place, and they have good breakfast food too!

Also, I wish I had that VFR1200X! I freakin' love those bikes!

Yeah I get it. The ST1300's fuel injection was distinctly on/off when coming off closed throttle and when combined with gear lash in the shaft drive I would use the front brake similarly to ease the transition from closed throttle to opening to maintenance throttle then exit throttle to pick up the bike all so as not to upset the suspension. It's kind of like stretching a rubber band when overlapping throttle and brake as it keeps the drive train under load and it doesn't take up all at once mid-corner. I guess the aftermarket dog-leg lever makes it look like you are using more brake than you were actually using.
Yes, forgot about that. I put a Vortex adjustable lever on it because, unlike my 2016, the oem 2013 brake lever is not adjustable. I wanted the lever a little closer to the throttle tube so I could have more control over the brake without sacrificing throttle control and grip in general. I really like the Vortex lever, made it feel a lot better.

Yep, when I got to Iron Horse Lodge, nobody was in camp...I setup and found out later in the day I setup next to Bulitt; his vfr1200 is a nice looking machine... the green tent behind mind is Bulitt's Taj Mahal....
1622817215102.png

Yes, forgot about that. I put a Vortex adjustable lever on it because, unlike my 2016, the oem 2013 brake lever is not adjustable. I wanted the lever a little closer to the throttle tube so I could have more control over the brake without sacrificing throttle control and grip in general. I really like the Vortex lever, made it feel a lot better.
Will the adjustable lever of the later bikes fit the 2013? Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back