• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On today's ride the flashing reserve came on at 205 miles, just as I was exiting the freeway. Rode 2 miles to the nearest gas station and it took 2.7 gals to refill. Ave on that tank 76.7 mpg. I'm liking that part of the ownership experience. Wish it had a 5 gallon tank though so I could go longer between fill ups.lol

Today I replaced the NC700X's front tire. I also closely checked the front brake pad wear indicators. They were not quite worn to the indicator at 51,100 miles, but I changed the pads anyway in preparation for a long upcoming trip. I installed the partly used pads that TacomaJD had given me. Photo shows old pad compared to "new" partly used pad. I also bled the front brake fluid with DOT4 as it was close to 3 years old. The test ride afterwards showed the front tire and brakes performing well. Maybe tomorrow I'll work on the rear tire/brake/chain.

D65F6170-6116-48E5-A4D2-27AB74C9BD43.jpeg
BDE1E0CF-A217-466F-92FB-CDB49001A5DD.jpeg

Last edited:
i did my some night stuff tonight. Low speed practise in a parking lot because its cooler and then my first night ride.

I decided to do some low speed stuff since i put on some new engine guards on my 2021.

headed out to my test track to see what mpg i could squeeze out of the DCT this time, no other changes from last years attempt. As i exited the freeway and topped off the tank i started out. Just 1 mile in i observed a sign "Road closed at mm11, fires/smoke". Ratz! Oh well, it was a fun ride non-the-less, i turned around and rode a few places on the return trip home. Once it cools off later this evening, i will take my new-to-me Terra-Trike for a spin in the neighborhood. :{p

Yesterday, at 51,130 miles, I replaced the rear tire, rear brake pads, bled the rear brake fluid, and replaced the drive chain. The chain was still good but I could not be certain it would survive an upcoming long trip. I set the old chain aside for possible reinstallation at a later time. Original rear sprocket still looks good. I may replace it at next tire change.

It annoys me that typical motorcycle maintenance intervals are so short, and the lifespan of certain components (mainly chains, tires) is also so short. This makes it difficult to be prepared for long trips, and sometimes results in components being taken out of service before actual end of life.

Yep, big gripe of mine too. Sometimes the maintenance intervals of certain items is extremely short compared to an automobile with a similar powerband and even more horsepower. Seems like you always have to do some maintenance on the bike, and go jump in the car with 5x as many miles and 1/10 the maintenance to go pick up the parts to do the job.

Guys like to say they prefer to drive a bike for the economy, but when you figure in maintenance, (tires, brakes, chains, sprockets, spark plugs, air cleaners, valve adjustments) it's cheaper to drive a compact car like a Civic or Corolla or ???? and you won't get wet, cold or hot lol

Geez why do I like bikes so much? lol

Okay, so not today, but this weekend I went to Thruxton for the British Superbikes championship. It was a great weekend; soooo many bikes there and leaving at the end in a convoy of a few hundred bikes together was awesome.

1627931856546.png

Sadly, mine was the only NC700X ...or indeed, NC750X... that I could see here but that just makes my bike more unique, right?

1627931922036.png

Yep, big gripe of mine too. Sometimes the maintenance intervals of certain items is extremely short compared to an automobile with a similar powerband and even more horsepower. Seems like you always have to do some maintenance on the bike, and go jump in the car with 5x as many miles and 1/10 the maintenance to go pick up the parts to do the job.

Guys like to say they prefer to drive a bike for the economy, but when you figure in maintenance, (tires, brakes, chains, sprockets, spark plugs, air cleaners, valve adjustments) it's cheaper to drive a compact car like a Civic or Corolla or ???? and you won't get wet, cold or hot lol

Geez why do I like bikes so much? lol
Yep, I drive a Prius C, which gets close to 60mpg doing 65mph on the interstate....65-68mpg doing 35-40mph on county roads.....also, OEM tires got me 75,000 miles on them....oil change every 10,000 miles.....still prefer riding my bikes than driving my car.....

Yep, I drive a Prius C, which gets close to 60mpg doing 65mph on the interstate....65-68mpg doing 35-40mph on county roads.....also, OEM tires got me 75,000 miles on them....oil change every 10,000 miles.....still prefer riding my bikes than driving my car.....
I understand and agree. Sometimes the things we love don't make the most sense.

Since performing the aforementioned tire, brake, and chain swaps this past weekend, it was “required” that I do a suitable test ride to ensure the NC was working properly. I did a 150 mile ride today to visit some parks and campgrounds for future camping ideas. It was a good day and a good ride!

mentioning bike services due or almost due..., i have my very first service on the 15' DCT coming up. I'm about 7k miles on it now and already on it's second set of tires. The brand new Saddleman seat i installed the other day is just not really working for me, so i think i might just part with it. :{P

Yesterday, at 51,130 miles, I replaced the rear tire, rear brake pads, bled the rear brake fluid, and replaced the drive chain. The chain was still good but I could not be certain it would survive an upcoming long trip. I set the old chain aside for possible reinstallation at a later time. Original rear sprocket still looks good. I may replace it at next tire change.

It annoys me that typical motorcycle maintenance intervals are so short, and the lifespan of certain components (mainly chains, tires) is also so short. This makes it difficult to be prepared for long trips, and sometimes results in components being taken out of service before actual end of life.
That is amazing mileage out of the stock chain. Many of us replace it before 10,000 miles and most certainly before 20,000. How many counter shaft sprockets in that 51,000 miles?

That is amazing mileage out of the stock chain. Many of us replace it before 10,000 miles and most certainly before 20,000. How many counter shaft sprockets in that 51,000 miles?
I didn’t really say it was the original stock chain, although I see that my sentence could be read that way. But, no way would one assume I had changed the original rear tire with 51,130 miles on it.

To clarify, at 51,130 miles on the NC700X odometer, I replaced the rear tire, the brake fluid, and the drive chain, none of which were original to the motorcycle. I replaced the rear brake pads, which were the originals. One edge of the rear pads had reached the wear indicator.

I usually get maybe 18,000 miles on a VX2 chain (not much data to go on yet). I don’t use an automatic oiler. I did change the original countershaft sprocket at 37,379 miles, although it did not look worn. The bike is now on it’s second countershaft sprocket, while the rear sprocket is still original.

I got 36,909 miles out of the original factory chain on my CB 1100 and it's replacement has 23,698 miles on it now. However I only get about 19,000 out of the front and rear brake pads on it. The front brakes on my FJR were still good when I traded it in on the NC with 38,400 miles.

My wife's Toyota Highlander is still on the original tires, air cleaner, F&R brakes and spark plugs at 51,000 miles and hasn't required a valve adjustment or a chain either. On the downside she only gets about 23 mpg lol. Just a little better than my son's Yamaha MT-10

I can’t understand why , esp on low revving bikes like the NC, we don’t have hydraulic lifters and NO valve adjustment intervals. Makes no sense-HD and cars have used them for decades.. (When was the last time your Chevy needed a “valve adjustment”?

I can’t understand why , esp on low revving bikes like the NC, we don’t have hydraulic lifters and NO valve adjustment intervals. Makes no sense-HD and cars have used them for decades.. (When was the last time your Chevy needed a “valve adjustment”?
That would mean one less service item that dealers would not get to charge a handsome fee to do.
The vast majority of owners do not do their own maintenance, including oil changes.
How many car and truck owners do you know that do their own oil changes?
Of all my many acquaintances, friends, and relatives, I can count that number on 2 fingers, and one of those fingers represents me.

I'm not saying that's the only reason Honda and all other companies don't choose to provide maintenance-free valve actuation, but I think along with cost of production and redesign of the cylinder head it's a major reason.

That would mean one less service item that dealers would not get to charge a handsome fee to do.
The vast majority of owners do not do their own maintenance, including oil changes.
How many car and truck owners do you know that do their own oil changes?
Of all my many acquaintances, friends, and relatives, I can count that number on 2 fingers, and one of those fingers represents me.

I'm not saying that's the only reason Honda and all other companies don't choose to provide maintenance-free valve actuation, but I think along with cost of production and redesign of the cylinder head it's a major reason.
I agree. It has to be tied to the dealer thing. When they design a new bike it would be very simple to go with hydraulics “up front”. At ne time with screw/locknut it was pretty simple to set the valves. Now, with shims under bucket it‘s a major job on most bikes. On an old BMW you could have the valves adjusted before you can get the plastic off a new bike

I didn’t really say it was the original stock chain, although I see that my sentence could be read that way. But, no way would one assume I had changed the original rear tire with 51,130 miles on it.

To clarify, at 51,130 miles on the NC700X odometer, I replaced the rear tire, the brake fluid, and the drive chain, none of which were original to the motorcycle. I replaced the rear brake pads, which were the originals. One edge of the rear pads had reached the wear indicator.

I usually get maybe 18,000 miles on a VX2 chain (not much data to go on yet). I don’t use an automatic oiler. I did change the original countershaft sprocket at 37,379 miles, although it did not look worn. The bike is now on it’s second countershaft sprocket, while the rear sprocket is still original.
I thought at one time one of your NCs had over 30,000 miles on the chain and rear sprocket and I made an assumption. Thanks for the clarification.

Even Honda's car & pickup engines generally have mechanically-adjusted valve lash. I adjusted the valves on my J35 at 75,000-ish miles. They're lighter, cheaper, and tolerate high rpm better than hydraulic adjusters. They also work better at start-up when located at the very top of the engine, the last place to get oil flow.
I say all that to explain at least some part of the historical 'why' of their use. These days, I'd MUCH rather see HLAs (hydraulic lash adjusters) on an engine like the NCX's. I know they can be and are successfully used on OHC engines, because my Mazda uses them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back