• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left curves and right curves are the same only flipped. When ridden correctly, they are entered the same, apexed the same, and exited the same only in the opposite directions.
IN THEORY then I would agree with you, however in practice on the rural roads where I typically ride, and where you can see empty intersections on the nearly empty roadways around the farm fields, it is pretty common for riders to 'cut' the corner and use more of the roadway than just the designated lane. So on a left turn on a rural roadway, it's very normal to use part of the intersection that would not be used on a lower speed suburban or city corner while leaning hard in the corner, I find this especially true on left turns.

On the rural roads where I live and ride, there are very few intersections, and hills and vegetation can make turns blind, either right or left, so you learn to stay in your lane or chance meeting a piece of farm equipment, or a pick up truck head on lol

On the rural roads where I live and ride, there are very few intersections, and hills and vegetation can make turns blind, either right or left, so you learn to stay in your lane or chance meeting a piece of farm equipment, or a pick up truck head on lol
Oh we have plenty of those here too. But we also have plenty of intersections that are wide open and visible. And some of that changes by season and what crop is planted too!

Left curves and right curves are the same only flipped. When ridden correctly, they are entered the same, apexed the same, and exited the same only in the opposite directions.

A typical lane is 12' wide. If 2 curves have similar radii measuring around the outermost line on each will be the same, measuring on the innermost line around the curves will be the same.

It may be that you just prefer left handers and therefore take them faster. The faster you go, the more you have you lean to complete the turn, therefore scraping the left peg and not the right.
On left and right road curves with the same outer radius, the right turn is a sharper turn if you drive in the right lane. So the rider may prefer to take right turns slower than left turns, or fast as left turns but with more lean. If the right turn is taken at the same speed as left, less time is spent turning because there is less distance to travel. If speed is the same in left vs right turns, more time and distance is covered turning left than turning right, albeit with less lean angle. Also if the road is crowned but not banked, the tire angle to the road may be about the same in the left turn as it is on a faster, more leaning right turn. There are many variables here.

I have more confidence in slow left turns than right turns. Since my u-turns on a road are done turning left, I get more low speed practice turning left.

On left and right road curves with the same outer radius, the right turn is a sharper turn if you drive in the right lane. So the rider may prefer to take right turns slower than left turns, or fast as left turns but with more lean.

I have more confidence in slow left turns than right turns. Since my u-turns on a road are done turning left, I get more low speed practice turning left.
Yes if ridden in the right hand side of the lane the right turn will be sharper, but no sharper than in a left hand curve ridden in the left hand side of the lane. That is why turns are technically supposed to be ridden outside to inside to outside. Whether left or right. Riding on the outside lane in a curve ( either right or left) allows you to see further into the curve so you can decide whether to make an adjustment to line or speed. Ever ridden behind someone who is constantly adjusting while going thru curves? Straightening up, then laying it back over, slowing down, then speeding up? It's because they have not chosen the correct line thru the curve. A correct line will be a smooth steady speed arc. Wanna be fast? Got to be smooth.

This especially matters on a multi curve rather high speed road ( say like Rt 16 between Rt19/33 and Rt 47 in West Virginia) . Staying on one side of the lane ( either right hand side of the lane or left) will not set you up properly for the next curve, causing a series of slow downs, speed ups and angle adjustments.

The better one gets at reading turns/choosing lines, the smoother and faster they will be.

Last edited:
Yes if ridden in the right hand side of the lane the right turn will be sharper, but no sharper than in a left hand curve ridden in the left hand side of the lane. That is why turns are technically supposed to be ridden outside to inside to outside. Whether left or right. Riding on the outside lane in a curve ( either right or left) allows you to see further into the curve so you can decide whether to make an adjustment to line or speed. Ever ridden behind someone who is constantly adjusting while going thru curves? Straightening up, then laying it back over, slowing down, then speeding up? It's because they have not chosen the correct line thru the curve. A correct line will be a smooth steady speed arc. Wanna be fast? Got to be smooth.

This especially matters on a multi curve rather high speed road ( say like 47 in West Virginia) . Staying on one side of the lane ( either right hand side of the lane or left) will not set you up properly for the next curve, causing a series of slow downs, speed ups and angle adjustments.

The better one gets at reading turns/choosing lines, the smoother and faster they will be.
I choose the line where I am least likely to hit an oncoming vehicle head on, especially the ones that come at me IN MY LANE. Yes, on wide two lanes roads with center lines, it still happens often enough I can hardly believe it. I guess they want to take the best line in the curve even if it means using my lane. At times I have needed to go off the road to avoid being hit.

In addition, in my locality, the roads are often 1.5 lanes wide, there is no center line, the curve is sometimes blind, and the oncoming traffic is usually in the center of the road. I try to stay within 3 feet of the edge of the road until I am certain potential oncoming traffic is not on my side of the road.

Last edited:
I choose the line where I am least likely to hit an oncoming vehicle head on, especially the ones that come at me IN MY LANE. Yes, on wide two lanes roads with center lines, it still happens often enough I can hardly believe it. I guess they want to take the best line in the curve even if it means using my lane. At times I have needed to go off the road to avoid being hit.

In addition, in my locality, the roads are often 1.5 lanes wide, there is no center line, the curve is sometimes blind, and the oncoming traffic is usually in the center of the road. I try to stay within 3 feet of the edge of the road until I am certain potential oncoming traffic is not on my side of the road.
Yea, I hate riding roads that are lane and a half with no centerline and avoid riding them whenever I can. Luckily we don't have a lot of them around here, but there are some. If I do have to ride one, it certainly isn't fast, and like you, I hang within a couple of feet of the right edge.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else scrape pegs on ONE SIDE but not on the OTHER SIDE?

I tend to scrape the foot peg on LEFT turns but never on RIGHT turns. Is that because the left is typically a wider diameter turn and I lean farther over because I take those turns at a slightly faster speed? Never really thought about it much until tonight.
Von Ricthofen said he could always turn inside of his opponents because he anticipated their tightest turn was to the left. He reasoned most pilots were right handed, therefore dominant hand over the top, like a punch. He was right all but once. And yup, my left side pegs and boots are usually more ground down than the right.

Concentrate on cornering technique, shift your upper body a little to the inside which gains back a few degrees of lean for the same radius of turn, scrape metal parts less, go faster yet safer.

I'm more comfortable in left handers and tend to touch more on that side. I think it's because the inside edge of the pavement is far away and in corners where terrain blocks my view I can see further away in left handers.

Ordered the rear spacer collars. They won't be arriving until the end of June.

Guess I'll be riding my DRZ a lot until then

Concentrate on cornering technique, shift your upper body a little to the inside which gains back a few degrees of lean for the same radius of turn, scrape metal parts less, go faster yet safer.

I'm more comfortable in left handers and tend to touch more on that side. I think it's because the inside edge of the pavement is far away and in corners where terrain blocks my view I can see further away in left handers.
This! It all depends on which side you are most comfortable leaning into. Often people favor left hand turns as opposed to right hand turns, when riding aggressively and leaning off the bike a bit anyways, because in a left hand turn, your throttle wrist is not bent at so much of a crazy angle as it is in a hard right hand turn when you are leaned off to the right. It angles the throttle side wrist more and makes it a bit more difficult to control throttle and front brake in that turn, whereas your throttle side wrist and hand are more loose and relaxed in left hand corners.

Also, if you're dragging pegs that often, work on your body position! I don't think I have ever drug a peg on the road. Wore them down badly on the track, but never touched them on the road because I scoot 1 butt cheek off the seat and lean my upper body off and toward the mirror. Nothing cool about dragging hard parts, especially on the road, because if you encounter a situation mid turn where you need to tighten up your line to either make a decreasing radius turn or avoid something in the road and your hard parts are already dragging or nearly dragging, you are damn close to crashing. Yes the pegs have a little give in them and they will spring upward a bit, but other hard parts like kickstand and exhaust are less forgiving and when hard parts hit abruptly, it takes weight off the rear tire and can make for a nice lowside crash. Ask me how I know....LOL I crashed on my very first trackday this way back in 2008. I went into a turn way to hot, body position was total garbage, leaned bike too far too quickly. Peg and no telling what else hit the pavement, and on my arse I went.....sliding 80mph across the asphalt beside my bike....til I hit the grass then I started rolling. That was a ride!

Last edited:
Picked up a new LED headlight and the service manual from the post office today. I figured after having the bike for 8 years it was time to get the manual haha

Just had fun. Rain was not supposed to start until 5pm, so, of course, it started at 2pm. It was simply a great ride. I intended to go east but turned west and rode southwest before I figured out that I was going to continue that way. Ended up visiting the Bradley house in Kankakee designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the Prairie Style of architecture common during the early 1900’s. My home was designed in 1912 by one of Wright’s partners, in Wright’s Oak Park, IL studio, by an architect named Walter Burley Griffin. Griffin’s wife did a painting of the Bradley house, and was one of the early female architects.
4582F60B-389E-4B6D-9D89-2DDBD7B1F681.jpegB90A70E0-21EB-4128-967A-504FE555A71B.jpegE765037A-91C3-45D5-9916-AE1E12E889D7.jpeg

Pics are great. What a great home.
I have visited the FLW home design in Buffalo with all my Ukulele players. We did two 30 minute sets there. What a blast.
That was probably the Martin House?

I have an aNueNue Mango Custom III, a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor, a Lanakai mango concert and a Magic Fluke concert. Can't play to save my life, but the dogs don't seem to care.

Yup, Martin house.
I’ve been playing since 2015.
So far I have played my Uke in Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii.
My wife gave me a ukulele build class in Holualoa for my 65 birthday. I built a 5 string Koa cutaway.
I’m a member of the Niagara On The Lake UKESTERS.
We are on Facebook
Currently, I have tooo many ukuleles to mention.
We do a Zoom every Sunday from 2:30 to 4. If you are interested, send me a Tm.
I’ve played a Tiny Tenor and it’s on my to buy list.
My favourite is my Godin.
Cheers

Attachments

• CFA4AE75-993C-4A2E-AF1D-F58531458252.jpeg
    CFA4AE75-993C-4A2E-AF1D-F58531458252.jpeg
    613.2 KB · Views: 6
Finished up installing driving lights plus a Skene Lights IQ-275A controller and a Trail Tech 3 position switch for same. And also a Garmin Zumo XT. I managed to get the panels off without loosing any clips/screws. I'm done with the front end now, tomorrow I start on the back end. I'm going to add Skene P3 lights and a Tutoro chain oiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back