• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took off the Winter hand guards today and insert the standard bar weights. Went for a burn to the local shops to check tire prices. For Canadians shopping for tires https://www.petes-superbike.com/ was over $30 better on a pair shipping and tax in.

Edit: Road 5 set

Last edited:
View attachment 44996Got it a playmate. 2021 AT AS DCT.
Nice AT! I have been eyeballing the AT here lately. Doubt I end up with one but I sure would like to have one to add to the stable.

And as for thread update, got the track NC loaded up and ready for a trackday at Little Tally on Monday. This is going to be a unique day, because they are running the track in reverse direction. So instead of being all left hand turns and only one right hand turn, it will be all right hand turns and only one left hand turn. Which is awesome because that's the side I can drag knee on like normal. Ridden at Tally many times, but this will be my first time riding that track in reverse direction, it's going to be awesome! And good weather too!

Nice AT! I have been eyeballing the AT here lately. Doubt I end up with one but I sure would like to have one to add to the stable.

And as for thread update, got the track NC loaded up and ready for a trackday at Little Tally on Monday. This is going to be a unique day, because they are running the track in reverse direction. So instead of being all left hand turns and only one right hand turn, it will be all right hand turns and only one left hand turn. Which is awesome because that's the side I can drag knee on like normal. Ridden at Tally many times, but this will be my first time riding that track in reverse direction, it's going to be awesome! And good weather too!
Thanks!

My girlfriend just got her motorcycle licence so the NC is being loaned out to her while I ride the AT. I just can't sell my baby, 35,000 miles and too many great memories!

Took off the Winter hand guards today and insert the standard bar weights. Went for a burn to the local shops to check tire prices. For Canadians shopping for tires https://www.petes-superbike.com/ was over $30 better on a pair shipping and tax in.

Edit: Road 5 set
Pete’s is my go to tire supplier in Canada.
I have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s in the basement waiting for the Bridgestone Battlewings to wear out.

wow it's even a DCT model. Interesting. What mode do you run it in there, or do you do the paddle shifters?

Have fun, ride safe!

wow it's even a DCT model. Interesting. What mode do you run it in there, or do you do the paddle shifters?

Have fun, ride safe!
Yep, I have two DCT NC's, that's the only way I can ride them. Lost my left leg 11 years ago in a bike crash so I can't shift. Any time I'm riding aggressively on track or on street, it's always in manual mode and I control the shifts with the buttons.

Power Cup Evo rear is feeling good today!

20210531_093450.jpg

20210531_093528.jpg

ball up that rubber! lol. Doesn't look like you have any issues leaning right.

I forgot about your leg, I apologize.
No worries! No issues turning either way really, but running this track in reverse direction there is only one left hand turn, the rest are rights, so the right side of the tire is putting in all the work today. Lol

Over the past couple of days a few errand runs and a couple recreational rides.

Nothing too exciting. Trip to the CVS. Trip to the local grocer. Just mundane stuff like that.

The recreational rides were closer to 100 miles each, little under/over? I did stop for a Reuben sandwich that was really good, but could have used a bit more sauerkraut, well I guess it could have used more meat too, but for the price I paid it was a good Reuben.

The new Sidi Armada boots are breaking in nicely OFF the bike while doing things like walking around the grocery store, stopping at the local shops, etc. The soles are still a little more rigid than I'd like for OFF the bike but they are perfect for standing on the pegs and generally for riding. The heel has just enough rise to catch the peg at the right point for tapping on the rear brake. The squeak squeak squeak seems to be a little quieter. Can't imagine that any hinged ankle boot would be totally silent, at least not the first year. But it is less noticeable. And they are comfortable. Can't prove they are 'all day' comfortable yet, but so far, so good as for their comfort.

Pete’s is my go to tire supplier in Canada.
I have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s in the basement waiting for the Bridgestone Battlewings to wear out.
The battlewings were oem on your NC? Mine came with dunlop trailmax d609.

My next set, en route from fortnine, are more aggressive tires as I like to ride dirt & gravel roads as well as paved.
After some research, I chose a Continental TKC80 front and Shinko 705 rear.

Still waiting for my MSF class on the 14th so I can get my license.. can't wait to really ride. I went out and looked at the tail of the bike some, I found a thread on here where someone did a roll-your-own tail tidy by relocating the entire tail lamp assembly up against the back of the bike. Trying to figure out what exactly I'd need to do to do the same. That rear fender/taillamp/tag bracket combination is godawful hideous.

Checked out some new to me back roads to Chattanooga and back, and playing with REVER Pro app for 2 week free trial.
Very cool! Hey, I was up your way a couple weekends ago. My fiance and I rode the cruiser up through Kimball, to Tracy City, Coalmont, Altamont, etc. We went to Foster Falls first and hiked down to the falls at the bottom, then went to Greeter Falls and hiked to the blue hole, then to the falls. Some beautiful country up there! First time I've been through those little towns. We ate at Hank's Corner Grill on the way back, food was great!

20210523_140039.jpg

20210523_140414.jpg

20210523_141648.jpg

20210523_142153.jpg

20210523_161550.jpg

20210523_163814.jpg

20210523_165013.jpg

20210523_161655.jpg

20210523_170845.jpg

20210523_170458.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to try the modest off-road capabilities of my 700X. Had a really pretty 2 hour ride north to the Houston Valley OHV riding location in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Previous research had indicated there were well-maintained Forest Service roads that provided "very easy" riding for the novice/beginner. I arrived in a parking lot full of 4 wheelers and riders covered with mud, despite the last 2 weeks without rain. I was apparently quite the object of interest, as I drew a number of stares and pointing fingers. Mine was the only motorcycle in the lot - this should have been clue #1, or maybe #2 (see "mud" above.)

A friendly gent approached and asked me "Are you gonna ride THAT thing here?" (Clue #3). I replied that I didn't really know, that it was my first visit, and I was hoping to give the "very easy" Forest Service road a try. His reply - "Good luck!" (Clue #4). I studied the map boards, and confirmed the existence of my "very easy" road. I also paid my $5 fee by honor system envelope and noticed that I was the only arrival stuffing cash in the steel box. I surmised that all the other riders had already purchased annual passes. As I studied my intended route, several kids, ages likely between 6 yrs and 10 yrs were flying around the parking lot, without helmets or other gear, on 4 wheelers. They seemed to be racing around the signs that read "IDLE SPEED ONLY IN PARKING AREA!" (Clue # 5 if you don't count the honor system cash box). Some folks were drinking hydration energy drinks that they had cleverly disguised in beer bottles. Likely due to the sign that read "NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES PERMITTED!" (I don't consider this a clue because these folks were sitting on their 4 wheelers and not actually riding at the time.) One fascinating observation I made was watching man/woman couples zoom by on 4 wheelers each smoking cigarettes in at least a 30 mph slipstream. I did not know this was possible, but I must admit I have never attempted it. I did notice that they wore their ball caps backward and the guys were shirtless while the gals wore spandex shorts (some things you can't "unsee") or cut-offs with halter tops. The weight limit for the rear riders seemed to be in the 300 lbs range. Maybe these techniques aided the smoking?

I walked around and did a recon on the trailheads. I found my "very easy" entry point, and although it appeared a little rough, I concluded that of course this would be the case because so many riders had to start at the start point. To gain entry to the "road" I had to walk my bike over a huge hump that it would not clear with me on it (Clue # 6? Candidly by now I had lost count and high anxiety was beginning to set-in). As I rode (well, actually sort of duck-walked) my bike the first 100 yards or so, I almost fell over at least 5 times dodging deep potholes, large boulders, downed trees, and mud holes that appeared deep enough for fishing (but I was pretty sure I recalled a sign prohibiting that as well). I was optimistic that the trail would improve the further along I rode. Finally, and not in the least surprisingly, I dumped the bike over a creative combination of tree roots, mud, boulders, and vines. I marveled at how they could add so many interesting terrain features to a "very easy" road.

As I was lifting my bike dutifully using my leg muscles and not what was left of my back, I was almost run over by a gentleman and his 5 year old son, both riding 4 wheelers in search of a new National Forest speed record. While they politely watched me struggle to lift my bike, the man opined that they did not see many motorcycles on these trails. I told him that I was mistakenly on the wrong trail, as I had come to ride the "very easy" (also referred to as "novice") road. He advised me that I was ON that very same road! I asked him where the gravel was? He laughed and said the only gravel in the area was on the map, but did not actually exist on any of the roads or trails. In what is perhaps one of the most profound understatements I have ever heard, he stated "They don't do much to keep these roads up. They pretty much leave them alone and let nature take over." HA! So that was it. Letting nature take over! How much more "Green" can you get than that? I decided that my $5 had been well invested in a worthy conservationist cause and limped, pushed, pulled, and slid my way back to the trail head and into the parking lot, all the while providing some much needed entertainment for folks there. Even the kids stopped zooming around to watch me drag myself back to civilization.

I skulked off and hid in the woods while I ate my packed lunch. Out of sheer immature pique, I admit I spit my cherry pits out on the ground (although I was able to rationalize this as actually "Green" because they were organic, and who knew (?) maybe someday they would sprout a cherry tree or two.) I packed up the rest of my trash and began the journey home. Finally back on the road and loving the scents of honeysuckle and new mown hay amidst the beautiful north GA mountains backdrop! It occurred to me that my trusty 700X was truly an "Adventure" bike after all. Adventure is often where you least expect to find it, and is not always appreciated until after it is lived. My adventure this day was truly one of a kind. By which I mean there is exactly ZERO chance that I will visit a National Forest off-road riding venue in GA ever again! It was fun though. Probably even more fun for the audience I attracted, but fun for me nonetheless. That's what I did with my NC700X. I darn sure ain't doing it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back