• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a nice ride on the last good weather day predicted till March. Washer her up, covered her and tucked her away for the winter... Always a sad day.

All we have predicted now are mornings at or below freezing. The NC doesn't provide enough protection to keep warm for my commute. I miss the scooter where the vents could be directed to your legs and my screen was higher. Then I used to ride through November.

Went for a 30 mile ride around the rural neighborhood. The NC felt wobbly and I could see the windshield and speedometer jiggling side to side. I had just checked/filled the tires before the ride. Handlebars were not shaking so I suspected a problem with back wheel/tire.

Upon inspection after the ride, it appears the right side rear wheel bearing is badly worn. :( Lots of play in the rear wheel. 57,700 miles on the bike.

I had noticed this sensation mildly on my recent Newfoundland trip. I’m glad I got home before the bearing failed.

Edit: I looked in the spare parts box I got from Beemerphile when I bought his NC. All brand new bearings and seals for the rear wheel and sprocket carrier are in that spare parts box. I don’t need to buy anything, except maybe some tools.

Another forum member had the same bearing go bad at nearly the same mileage. https://nc700-forum.com/threads/rea...-should-i-only-buy-bearings-from-honda.19604/. Yet another thread suggests that right rear wheel bearing failure is common. https://nc700-forum.com/threads/rear-wheel-bearing-failure.5833/

As a follow up to my previous post, today I replaced the rear wheel bearings on my NC700X. I then went for a chilly 43*F ride and verified that the bike is working normally now.

What I had said yesterday about the bearing being worn was an understatement. It had disintegrated. I’ll post more details in a bearing specific thread.

I had to run out for a short 80 mile ride this afternoon ad we have a lot of rain and rain/snow forecasted the next week or two. And "NO" i am not putting mine up anytime just yet... hehe!!

Track NC got a new Michelin Power Cup Evo track tire on the rear. Hope the Pirelli TD front makes it through the next track day, already has 3 days on it. Got a new Power Cup Evo on deck for when it wears out though. Heading to Barber next Monday 3/29, hoping for fine weather!

View attachment 44309

View attachment 44310

View attachment 44311

The street NC got a new Dunlop Q3 rear since I ran over a nail and ruined the Michelin Road 5 that was on it. It was nearing the end of its life anyways. Had the Dunlop Q3 already in the shop, graduated from those to stickier tires on the track, so figured I might as well run it on the street NC. Probably do good to get 3500-4000 miles out of it. Sure will grip good tho! Lol.

View attachment 44312

View attachment 44313

The Nomad also got some new shoes as well. Still had oem that came on it in 2007! I bought this bike last month to replace the other one I crashed back in December when that old lady ran me off the road. It's identical to my old one except for being one year newer and only had 4,700 original miles on it! My old one had 32,500 miles. And I gave $5k for it which is what Allstate paid me for mine, so I came out good on that deal!

Lot of work changing all those tires this weekend!

View attachment 44314

View attachment 44315

Tires shipped with a dime under each label....never seen that before.

View attachment 44316
In ireland when you sell something you give back a coin and say “that’s for luck”

Adjusted chain tension. Bought my 2013 at the beginning of October @ 29,800 miles. I've put on about 700 miles. As this is my first bike, I'm learning things as we go - just learned about checking chain slack - my chain measured over 3" of slack! So I went through the procedure to adjust the slack, gave the chain a good cleaning and lube, and it feels many many times smoother and better! (or maybe placebo effect...)

Adjusted chain tension. Bought my 2013 at the beginning of October @ 29,800 miles. I've put on about 700 miles. As this is my first bike, I'm learning things as we go - just learned about checking chain slack - my chain measured over 3" of slack! So I went through the procedure to adjust the slack, gave the chain a good cleaning and lube, and it feels many many times smoother and better! (or maybe placebo effect...)
Should have been able to hear the chain slapping the swing arm with 3" of slack. Probably not a placebo effect.

Should have been able to hear the chain slapping the swing arm with 3" of slack. Probably not a placebo effect.
This is my first bike, so the slap might have been there but I was unable to identify it. While measuring the slack, the chain did easily push up to contact the swing arm. But while test-riding after taking out the slack, shifts seemed smoother and the bike quieter overall, so it seems the noise went away.

This is my first bike, so the slap might have been there but I was unable to identify it. While measuring the slack, the chain did easily push up to contact the swing arm. But while test-riding after taking out the slack, shifts seemed smoother and the bike quieter overall, so it seems the noise went away.
Good that you know how to check and adjust the chain tension. Too tight can be as bad or worse than too loose. I keep mine towards the loose end of the spec. Too tight promotes more chain stretching, sprocket wear, and bearing wear.

Had to get out for a ride, so i covered a little over 100 miles and yes of course while i was out and riding in the near freezing rain i grabbed another photo for the game of TAG, and yes i got it!

A great ride even though it was very Cold and Raining, you can see the snow line in the mountains!!

IMG_7629[3017].jpg

Last edited:
I mocked up a cardboard copy of the new Givi D1192ST windshield to see how much protection it would give me as a winter/touring shield, then took it for an short test ride. The Givi shield is about 2" wider than this but the same height. It's no FJR or ST 1300 as far as protection goes, but I think it will do alright. Certainly better than the stock shield.

88LFBAMh.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful early morning ride through the north shore of Nassau County, Long Island, New York. Set out at 5:40am, aided by the extra hour of sleep from the time change. Since this is my first year of riding (motorcycle endorsement since July), I'm exploring my limits, and I was happy to find that I was perfectly comfortable at the chilly air temp of 40F degrees, even at highway speeds. Perhaps I will be able to ride through the winter, as I hope to do, and I'm lucky that I love the cold. Rode about 60 miles, capped by a most welcome free hot cup of coffee at Panera. I joined their free 3-month trial "coffee subscription" about 2 months ago (will cancel before the end of the third month), and I have topped 85 free cups of coffee so far. :)

6E992A32-E1F7-4D37-8A39-2123BC062DC0_1_201_a.jpeg

BFE84D36-86EB-4443-A300-74A95472A0A5_1_201_a.jpeg

A7C03F30-1FF8-41ED-93B5-F6AB8E30448F_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Wonderful early morning ride through the north shore of Nassau County, Long Island, New York. Set out at 5:40am, aided by the extra hour of sleep from the time change. Since this is my first year of riding (motorcycle endorsement since July), I'm exploring my limits, and I was happy to find that I was perfectly comfortable at the chilly air temp of 40F degrees, even at highway speeds. Perhaps I will be able to ride through the winter, as I hope to do, and I'm lucky that I love the cold. Rode about 60 miles, capped by a most welcome free hot cup of coffee at Panera. I joined their free 3-month trial "coffee subscription" about 2 months ago (will cancel before the end of the third month), and I have topped 85 free cups of coffee so far. :)

View attachment 47161

View attachment 47162

View attachment 47163
Just be careful when the road start to get frosty. I have a scuff of my left side panel to remind me. I was in your same position and explored a little too far;)

Just be careful when the road start to get frosty. I have a scuff of my left side panel to remind me. I was in your same position and explored a little too far;)
Thanks for the reminder. This morning the grass all over was white with frost. I tried sliding on the pavement with my shoes - everything was dry but I definitely kept my eyes peeled. While riding on the highway, I started thinking to myself the possibility of black ice during the colder months and how that’s handled. Then decided I’d better stop thinking and concentrate on the road ahead.

Thanks for the reminder. This morning the grass all over was white with frost. I tried sliding on the pavement with my shoes - everything was dry but I definitely kept my eyes peeled. While riding on the highway, I started thinking to myself the possibility of black ice during the colder months and how that’s handled. Then decided I’d better stop thinking and concentrate on the road ahead.
As a daily year round rider of 56 years here are some things I've come to learn. One thing to keep in mind when riding in colder temps, wait until the heat of the day if possible, which is usually around 2-3 pm. Stick to flat-straight roads if you can, and preferably state routes that traffic uses for daily commutes. The auto traffic tires will aid in cleaning, drying and heating the surface of the roads. Stick to the low speed lane on divided two lanes because they get the most traffic and ride the left tire track area of your lane. Avoid bridges and over passes. Throttle and brake smoothly, so sudden movements on what could be slippery surfaces. All this goes for riding in the rain as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back