• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2023: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't ridden in weeks due to parenthood and being sick for most of that time. Kids and their cooties, man. Also the weather has been weird, colder and cloudy.

Did the ~80 mile loop up Hwy 9 to Skyline (SR 35) to Alice's for lunch. On the way there's a little run on Skyline where the marine fog sweeps over the ridge-top like a witch's cauldron which we got to sit in for one of the 4-5 (!) road work blockades blocking traffic for various things (mostly tree trimming).

My burger was so-so today, will try the BBQ next time. Riding parther's aftermarket tail light (on his Super Hawk) was on the frtiz again so we made a quick stop at a vista to tighten it down. Got to try out a new jacket (passed the test) and new mirrors, because my old ones were always loosening up. They angle down and outward a bit compared to the others...visibility is improved and buffeting felt a bit lessened as well. Side by side w/ the old mirrors (OEM?).

IMG_20230513_121128595_HDR.jpgIMG_20230531_143130047_HDR.jpg

Went down and picked up the freshly mounted Pirelli Diablo Rosso III on the black NC700XD and had the shop finish driving the new oil seals in the forks, than took it all home and added 520 ml of 15 wt fork oil ( measure 4" fully compressed )Also installed the preload adjustable fork caps and took it out for a ride to scuff in new front tire. Trying to get the suspension more balanced and have a Penske on the rear and it's awesome and working my way on the front. Hoping I'll get more than the 1000 miles I got out of the last Rosso III on the front. Guess I've got to slow down a hair more going into corners :))

Went down and picked up the freshly mounted Pirelli Diablo Rosso III on the black NC700XD and had the shop finish driving the new oil seals in the forks, than took it all home and added 520 ml of 15 wt fork oil ( measure 4" fully compressed )Also installed the preload adjustable fork caps and took it out for a ride to scuff in new front tire. Trying to get the suspension more balanced and have a Penske on the rear and it's awesome and working my way on the front. Hoping I'll get more than the 1000 miles I got out of the last Rosso III on the front. Guess I've got to slow down a hair more going into corners :))
Without altering oil flow orifices I cannot imagine increasing the thickness of the fork fluid from stock. But weight is not a good way to compare fork oils. What brand did you put in?

Without altering oil flow orifices I cannot imagine increasing the thickness of the fork fluid from stock. But weight is not a good way to compare fork oils. What brand did you put in?
maxima no
PXL_20230601_153419229.jpgPXL_20230601_153328555.jpg

The red 2015 NC700 XD will be getting a footshifter kit and the Cognet shock and possibly the Cognet DDC fork treatment
PXL_20230601_154814824.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230601_154906475.jpg
    PXL_20230601_154906475.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230601_154638029.jpg
    PXL_20230601_154638029.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
I stand on comments in post #603 after reviewing the specs on Maxima 15 wt fork oil. It's a bit thicker than OEM factory oil and would make the compression stroke more harsh which is the common problem with the stock fork set up but there's no way for me to know what was replaced. It might be an improvement over what was replaced but not over OEM in my opinion. You might like it as everybody is different in expectations. Let us know. The Cogent DDCs do work well for me with the prescribed 5w Spectro oil.

Well, I sent in the title to my NC750X to the insurance company. The total payment to me on that little wreck was about $12k.

Trying to find another similar NC is almost impossible this time of year so ... I found a 2020 BMW F850 GS with only 1800 miles for $11k. The guy let it set so long the battery had to be replaced.

I'll be posting on the Other Bike section and commenting on all the others.
1685642435800.jpg

Looks like a nice bike
It is a softer ride and it runs out slightly stronger than the NC. Looking at the Horsepower numbers on paper, I figured it would be quite a bit stronger but I don't see that huge of a difference.

But the ride on my poorly maintained roads is remarkably better. And that is obvious why.

However the NC is the most practical everyday ride the way I see it. For what I'm doing, I couldn't justify paying new price for the difference you get with the BMW. This purchase was just a reaction to the situation and not in anyway a rejection of the NC.

Well, I sent in the title to my NC750X to the insurance company. The total payment to me on that little wreck was about $12k.

Trying to find another similar NC is almost impossible this time of year so ... I found a 2020 BMW F850 GS with only 1800 miles for $11k. The guy let it set so long the battery had to be replaced.

I'll be posting on the Other Bike section and commenting on all the others.
View attachment 52177
That is a nice looking bike. I would miss the Frunk too much...it may have ruined me for other bikes...

Went on a 140+ mile ride this evening in the Sierra's & the new fork seals & 15wtfork oil along w preload adjustable fork caps ( about 3/4" preload) definitely helped the front end. Still not as good as the rear with the Penske race shock , but getting better and more controlled.Also put a new Pirelli Rosso III on ( only got 1000 miles before it was down to the west bars on the last one) Going to install the Cognet rear shock and another accessory foot shift kit on the red NC and decide if I'll do the DDC treatment on its forks
Also when I stopped at the Coloma Club for a soda ,smoke and pee stop ,they had a great band playing so I stayed for about an hr and listened to music ,than took hwy 49 to placerville and 50 back to apple hill
PXL_20230603_021650731.jpgIMG_20230602_185100 (1).jpg

For about the last 10 years I have been trying to ride a gravel road in the Great Smoky Mountains NP commonly called Balsam Mountain Rd. Every time I tried, the road was either closed or I was two-up on a Goldwing. So yesterday the road was open and I was on the NC. I enjoyed the ride, although with the NC’s street suspension I had to take it slow (on the dual sport I could have whizzed along). I did see a black bear. It crawled up from a creek onto the road, looked over at me on the NC, and quickly crossed and climbed the hill on the other side. Despite the obvious signs that it was a one way road, two idiot cars came at me going the wrong way.

I also found two dirt roads that intersected with the Blue Ridge Parkway. They were a fun ride.

F73556D4-1F7B-4989-9F63-8B62E2BB82CB.jpeg362D4AEC-9F4A-41C0-AE66-7EB3405D8855.jpeg3CF9A96E-4E8A-48B4-9038-B5A5CA78DCF5.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting pretty hot out for us up here in Northern Idaho, but i took the bike out for a ride anyway. Just down to the local Sprawl*mart to top off the tank and grab some Milo's Sweet tea and an oil filter for the little f150 and back to the house. On the fuel, i shockingly got 2.2 gallons for 181 miles riden... Hmmm, that's like 82mpg this last tank... Something is amiss, that's amazing mileage and i think i must have misread the pump.

So, i'll see what this next tank brings as i ride down to the Tri-Cities with a friend on a break-in run on a new-to-her 21' Spyder and i'll report what happens.
:{P

Getting pretty hot out for us up here in Northern Idaho, but i took the bike out for a ride anyway. Just down to the local Sprawl*mart to top off the tank and grab some Milo's Sweet tea and an oil filter for the little f150 and back to the house. On the fuel, i shockingly got 2.2 gallons for 181 miles riden... Hmmm, that's like 82mpg this last tank... Something is amiss, that's amazing mileage and i think i must have misread the pump.

So, i'll see what this next tank brings as i ride down to the Tri-Cities with a friend on a break-in run on a new-to-her 21' Spyder and i'll report what happens.
:{P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back