• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

'21 DCT - poor gas mileage

RJCarpenter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. Long time reader first time poster.

I've had my new NC for three weeks now. I'm coming from a CB300R and it's such a welcome step up. Love the DCT.

The downside is that the LCD is quoting me MPG that is far worse than y'all are seeing. From searching the forums, I see you getting in the sixties or even seventies. Mine is hovering around 48.

I'm six foot and 215 lbs, so there's that. And what's more, I live in Seattle (sea level) which has traffic-heavy city streets, and hilly at that. I'm also well within my break in period (<200 mi).

Tire pressure is good. Coolant is good.

Last week was my first fill up since purchase, but I didn't manually calculate what mpg I'm getting. I often have the display set to have MPG up, and that low number depresses me, since fuel efficiency is one aspect that drew me to to the bike.

I called a nearby service department (I had to road trip to get a 21 with dct) and they said 48 is amazing gas mileage for a 750 within the break-in period. I pressed about a NC specifically, and he said not to trust numbers you see online. But here I am!

Is 48 MPG a realistic number? What could be the issue?

Oh, also I'm almost always in Rain mode. Coming from my 300, that's enough power (for now). So I'd think that'd help mpg...

And a bit about me, as way of introduction. I'm 29 and live with my wife and 5 mo old son in Seattle, WA. I'm originally from Houston, TX. Only been riding for 14 mo now. I've really appreciated this forum as I researched for a new bike, and since purchase. I have a givi top case setup coming from Motostorm, and hope to add heated grips and center stand sometime soon.

I get an average 60 mpg (US) on my 2013 NC700X. ~65 on fill ups where I'm just commuting to/from work in moderate traffic, and 50-55 with sporty riding (full throttle or full brakes most of the time). Quite a bit shy of the 70+ many claim.

Improved by about 5 mpg after valve adjustment and air filter replacement.

Hope this is helpful.

I don't know what MPG to expect out of a new NC engine. The dealers diagnosis mirrors my experience with new engines though. MPGs will improve as it breaks in. I also don't think you can expect 60-70 in the city. Mid to high 50s though

I did not place too much confidence in the instant and average mph read-out of my 2015. The displayed figures always differed from calculated mpg. Give it some time and mileage. If no great objection, load the Fuelly app and just start recording tank fill-ups at the pump and some of the variables will be averaged out.

Welcome to the forum.

We have a member here, the Ferret, with a '21 DCT reporting gas mileage in the upper 70s. (Edit, he just posted ahead of me). There does not seem to be any inherent problems with efficiency on the '21 models. I hate to say it, but your 48 mpg does not sound good at all.

First, do not go entirely by the dashboard readout. Do manual calculations based on odometer readings and gasoline purchases. Fill the tank to a consistent level. Average results over 4-5 tanks at a minimum before you draw conclusions.

I have recorded every fill up and every gallon purchased since my 2012 was new. I recorded mileage in the upper 70s for the first tanks while the bike was new, and my average over 57,600 miles is 75.3. I don't think break-in played any role in mileage change for me. I say, don't expect break in to make more than an MPG or two difference.

The service department you spoke to showed ignorance about the NC and it's track record for mileage. Yes, the numbers seen on line are real. Do they just think we make this stuff up? No, we don't. Like we also don't change the label on our jeans to make it look like we're one size smaller.

The NC motorcycle is capable of getting excellent mileage, but it doesn't happen automatically. It still depends how it's ridden and in what conditions. It also depends on added accessories that make it more or less aerodynamic. If I get 75 mpg average, you have to ride like I do, and in the conditions like I ride in, to also get 75. It doesn't just happen because you bought an NC.

Stop and go aggressive city riding, along with high speed highway riding and strong headwinds are MPG killers. Steady riding at around 45 MPG in the highest gear, no headwind, and using the lightest throttle will yield the best mileage on the NC.

You can click on the Fuelly icon in my signature and see all the fill up data for my NC.

Let us know what mileage you calculate manually after a thousand miles or so.

I have posted on here about my lower mpg than "normal". I would not worry. Your riding style, height and body mass are such that you will get lower than the fuel misers on here. The NC can give good mpg but I can't get anywhere near what some people get. There is nothing wrong with my bike either.

Yeah nah... hills + city traffic shouldn't return mpg that bad. I can vary the mpg a LOT on my manual 700s depending on the riding style:

Steady 50mph: 80 mpg
Gentle commuting: 73 mpg
Aggressive canyon riding: 58 mpg
75 mph touring with panniers: 52 mpg
Track day riding: 35 mpg

Definitely keep an eye on your mpg manually and try riding in different situations?

You can click on the Fuelly icon in my signature and see all the fill up data for my NC.

Let us know what mileage you calculate manually after a thousand miles or so.
When I click on your Fuelly icon it opens my Fuelly dashboard.

Last edited:
Oh, also I'm almost always in Rain mode. Coming from my 300, that's enough power (for now). So I'd think that'd help mpg...

And a bit about me, as way of introduction. I'm 29 and live with my wife and 5 mo old son in Seattle, WA. I'm originally from Houston, TX. Only been riding for 14 mo now. I've really appreciated this forum as I researched for a new bike, and since purchase. I have a givi top case setup coming from Motostorm, and hope to add heated grips and center stand sometime soon.
I'm a noobie myself so take my thoughts understanding that I am only at the 600 mile plus reading for mileage. I rode in Rain mode for a short while when I started riding my 2021 and then went to Standard, and then Sport, and then back to Standard because I didn't feel like setting up my Rider mode and I felt more comfortable with the traction control level in Standard. I don't recall specific mpg in Rain mode I can tell you that my mpg was lowest while riding in Rain mode. So that may be contributing to what you are experiencing. Btw I am 6 ft tall and weigh a little over 200 lbs. Riding in Standard mode I average about 65 mpg and when I was riding in Sport mode I averaged almost 70 and more so at times. But as they say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

I ride in std mode.
That's what she said.

Also I agree with what the other poster said, don't rely on the dash. Hell, even my spedo is slightly off with stock tires and gearing (as it is on most bikes). The proof of the puddin' is in the eating. Measure it between fill ups by good ol' fashioned math.

Don't trust the numbers presented on the dash. Almost 5000 miles in year 1 and you can see my mileage below. That is about 75% - 85% highway, commute, though. Largely in D mode unless I'm on a rare fun ride in S1.

Mileage has been getting better every month.

BTW, 6'3", 235.

Hello all. Long time reader first time poster.

I've had my new NC for three weeks now. I'm coming from a CB300R and it's such a welcome step up. Love the DCT.

The downside is that the LCD is quoting me MPG that is far worse than y'all are seeing. From searching the forums, I see you getting in the sixties or even seventies. Mine is hovering around 48.

I'm six foot and 215 lbs, so there's that. And what's more, I live in Seattle (sea level) which has traffic-heavy city streets, and hilly at that. I'm also well within my break in period (<200 mi).

Tire pressure is good. Coolant is good.

Last week was my first fill up since purchase, but I didn't manually calculate what mpg I'm getting. I often have the display set to have MPG up, and that low number depresses me, since fuel efficiency is one aspect that drew me to to the bike.

I called a nearby service department (I had to road trip to get a 21 with dct) and they said 48 is amazing gas mileage for a 750 within the break-in period. I pressed about a NC specifically, and he said not to trust numbers you see online. But here I am!

Is 48 MPG a realistic number? What could be the issue?

Both my previous 700X and my current X-Adv have returned low 70's on average since new. Those calculations are done manually at fill ups. Like others say I never even consider the bikes onboard calculations.

Again I agree that Your bulk and weight will negatively affect fuel consumption.

You come from a revvy 300. Are You revving the NC hard ? If so change that habit and let the torque carry you along. I don't have rain mode on mine but I suggest changing to standard D mode for a while and see what happens.

The dealer was talking nonsense. These bikes can produce reasonably good fuel consumption the minute they leave the shop and 48 mpg is not good. I accept that there might be some improvement after break in though.

Reactions: MZ5
I suppose this is a good enough topic to go past 670 posts.

I used to live close to Seattle, commuted through plenty of stop and go up to Lynnwood, down to Tacoma, or in and around Seattle proper.

It's not the bike. It's you. The absolute worst gas mileage I've ever had was ripping through mountain passes on WOT. My break in period used to be the best mileage I ever had. I rode it very gently.

I average 71mpg with over 53,000 miles. I have done about 10,000 miles loaded touring and/or two-up touring.

The way the NC likes to be ridden is not like other bikes. Try to be gentle with throttle application. The bikes readout is consistently 4-5mpg lower than what my fuel tracking app says. While it may be comparatively low, 53hp is more than enough power to go very fast very quickly. You're not going to win any races on public roads. Try and take it easy out there

Both my previous 700X and my current X-Adv have returned low 70's on average since new. Those calculations are done manually at fill ups. Like others say I never even consider the bikes onboard calculations.

Again I agree that Your bulk and weight will negatively affect fuel consumption.

You come from a revvy 300. Are You revving the NC hard ? If so change that habit and let the torque carry you along. I don't have rain mode on mine but I suggest changing to standard D mode for a while and see what happens.

The dealer was talking nonsense. These bikes can produce reasonably good fuel consumption the minute they leave the shop and 48 mpg is not good. I accept that there might be some improvement after break in though.

When you say low 70s (mpg), is that with your (imperial, perhaps?) gallons or the OP’s (US) gallons?

I have the 2018 manual version, and weigh about 20# less. That being said, I did add crash bars, skid plate, a larger windscreen, and almost always ride with 36L Shad side cases. The worst mileage I got was my first few fill ups at around 65MPG. Once I figured out being light on throttle was the way to go, I've recorded a best of 77MPG and currently average 71MPG. Most of the 4100mi I've done have been commuting to and from work ~30mi(1hr) each way in the Philly metro. While I haven't taken note of the exact amount, the dash reading is consistently lower than the calculated MPG. I recommend downloading Fuelly to track your actual MPG, easy to use and gives you all sorts of information.

Back