• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

'21 DCT - poor gas mileage

I believe that your lack of experience and your riding style is the cause of the high consumption.
As soon as you get used to it and ride on open roads a little more you will see that the consumption will go down.

If I am not carefull and I ride aggressively in high traffic I get the same consumption with you 48-50mpg (US gallon). I can do less than that if everything is jammed and I am trying to free myself. :)

I commute in Athens Greece, so believe me the traffic is very bad.

If I am cruising with the speed limit on open back roads I can get up to 69mpg. I have never managed to get more than that.
I am 6ft and a little heavier than you.

I'm on a tour right now in central Kentucky. Yesterday I rode 144 miles of curvy backroads and it took 1.8 gals to refill this morning. By the calculator in my phone, that works out to 80 mpg.

I haven't tried Fuelly or the old-fashioned calculator yet to check the dash readings, but my readings are similar to OP's, however, I've never ridden in Rain mode. In Sport, I get 48-50. In Standard, I get 63-65. These readings would be averages over a couple of days riding, which for me is about 110 miles.

For our friends across the pond, it's important to remember that an Imperial gallon has 20% more volume than a US gallon so it's important to specify.

I've downloaded Fuelly so we'll see how that goes.

Oh, and I'm a fat boy. 6' tall, 250+ lbs. Working on that too.

For our friends across the pond, it's important to remember that an Imperial gallon has 20% more volume than a US gallon so it's important to specify.
More important, your beers are also bigger. you get 4 more Oz to your pints (20 oz v 16). Hell, your beers are almost as big as our small fast food sodas.

Friday's fill up (161 miles 2.0 gals) and this morning's fill up (214 miles 2.6 gals) also resulted in 80.5 and 82 mpg figures. Crazy good mileage.
I’m curious what the dash board MPG display showed while you got the 80+ MPG. Is the dash readout close to actual fuel economy?

I’m curious what the dash board MPG display showed while you got the 80+ MPG. Is the dash readout close to actual fuel economy?
I can't speak for the 750Xs but my '17 700X read ~86 on the dash while Fuelio reported my all-time high of 92mpg

I'm still in the break in mode with 350 miles on the bike, 2021 NC750X DCT. I am 6' 2.5" and weigh 230 lbs. I ride back country roads in S.E. Pennsylvania. Average speed for a 100 mile trip is typically 35 mph on the 3 trips on this bike and on most of the trips with the previous bike, CMX500 Rebel. This speed is measured by a Garmin GPS. The first tank of fuel was pretty close to what was displayed on the dash, mid to upper 60's mpg (US gallons) in standard ride mode. I should get my second fillup in a day or two.

I don't know, I never look.

My routine is to pull in. Toggle from Trip A which I had zeroed before starting the day's ride, to Trip B. Check mileage on trip B. Reset (zero) trip B, Fill up. Take out phone and use calculator and divide miles from trip B by gallons used on fuel pump. Toggle back to Trip A to continue ride.

Trip A I use for daily miles which I record at end of day. Trip B I use for miles on tank of fuel.

Same system I use on all my bikes.

edit: I should add I always fill up the same way, bike on the side stand, fill standing on the left hand side, fill until there is just a little bit sitting on front top of that plate with the fill hole in it, always 87 octane.

Last edited:
Ok I checked on today's fill up. Went 152.3 miles which included some 50 miles of expressway at 70 mph and some in town errands with stop and go traffic, stop lights etc. It took 2.07 gals to refill. By calculator it figured out to 73.57 mpg.

On the bikes computer for Trip B it read 68.3 ave, so it reads about 5 mpg low on the computer on my bike.

After filling up I took the back way home, 15.4 miles of 45 mph country curvy roads and when I got home the Trip B computer read 75.2 mpg ave..... so if it's off 5 mpg, that would be approx 80.2 mpg actually).

So a medium fast food soda.
08dfc2d5-300f-4b2a-b7a3-3e6eab0def08_text.gif

I was commuting most work days on my bike before I quit last year. I am about the same height and weight as OP. I ride in Phoenix which is about as opposite to the Seattle area as one can get. It's flat and rarely rains here and of course, when it does rain, I rarely rode the bike. Mine is a 2015 manual shift. I changed the front and rear sprockets so it runs a significantly lower rpm's but this does not seem to have changed my MPG much. What has changed my mpg is that I am no longer commuting 50 miles each way. Instead, when I take the bike out it's usually less than 10 miles and I usually ride a little harder than when I commuted. I am still well into the 60s though.

I would think running the bike in rain mode would cause it to shift earlier which is what I usually did when commuting so I would expect better mileage than in the forties despite the differences in environment. One can never go by the first fill up to determine the economy though and the computer can be off for several reasons. Average it over several fill-ups like other posters have said and you may see better numbers on average.

I've also been concerned about my mileage. A lot of people seem to be getting better mileage than me. I haven't done my own calculations but I go by how many miles I get on a tank. I fill to the top and then some (probably not worth it). I get anywhere from 120 miles to 150 miles per tank. I do drive it at 75 to 85 during multi-day motorcycle rallys on the interstates, have a taller windscreen, shad 36 liter bags and a Honda top case. I am not gentle on the throttle. So probably it is me. But for rallys stopping every 120 - 150 miles to fill up is a time killer. Maybe I just bought the wrong bike. I didn't believe the 70 miles to the gallon (US) in the specs, but I thought that if I got 60 I could go about 200 miles per tank. No such luck.

I am having the 24000 mile service done and having them replace all filters and checking for brakes dragging, wheels lubed etc, but I don't think it will help much. We'll see.

I've also been concerned about my mileage. A lot of people seem to be getting better mileage than me. I haven't done my own calculations but I go by how many miles I get on a tank. I fill to the top and then some (probably not worth it). I get anywhere from 120 miles to 150 miles per tank. I do drive it at 75 to 85 during multi-day motorcycle rallys on the interstates, have a taller windscreen, shad 36 liter bags and a Honda top case. I am not gentle on the throttle. So probably it is me. But for rallys stopping every 120 - 150 miles to fill up is a time killer. Maybe I just bought the wrong bike. I didn't believe the 70 miles to the gallon (US) in the specs, but I thought that if I got 60 I could go about 200 miles per tank. No such luck.

I am having the 24000 mile service done and having them replace all filters and checking for brakes dragging, wheels lubed etc, but I don't think it will help much. We'll see.
Doing 80 mph, with lots of aerodynamic drag (windscreen, wide Shad bags), I would expect your mileage to be poor. It’s just physics. Don’t expect any improvement from the 24,000 mile service.

Most Hondas I have are equipped with fuel tanks that are too small (including a truck). The NC is no exception. Even getting good mileage (averaging 75.3 miles/US gallon), traveling with the tiny 3.7 gallon fuel tank is a hassle.

I quantified my 2015 DCT returned about 50 mpg running a steady-as-I-could 80 mph prior to attempting a Bun Burner Gold 1500 miles in 24 hour ride. 60-65 mph riding should get you in the 60-70 mpg range you expected but not 75-85 mph.

As others have already pointed out, be careful comparing your numbers to others you see on here as different countries use different metrics.

Aside from that, my 2020 DCT gets significantly less during the colder months than during the summer. I am talking about a 10 MPG difference (~60 compared to ~50). Whether that is due to ambient temps or that I am wearing more clothing thus increasing wind resistance or a combination of the two, I don't know but it is noticeable. The other thing I have noticed is that at highway speeds (+70mph) fuel consumption increases pretty drastically. I can be at 65 MPG when traveling around 55 MPH, and it drop to low 50's at 75 MPH and drop into the low 40's if I start pushing above 90. I ride pretty much mostly highways for my commute and average between 65 and 75 MPH and consistently see right around 60 to 61 MPG per the Fuelly app. In the winter months that tends to drop to about 51.

Back