• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

32,000 mile oil report

Hmcp88

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
32,000 mile oil report from blackstone labs. I read this earlier and couldn't for the life of me figure out why I have silicon in my oil. It just hit me as I read it again that I did the water pump at that service where I re filled that sample of oil and I used a little rtv silicon on the o rings. Funny they see that, good of them to find such a little trace.
image.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Nice remarks in comment area. "At or Below" I like seeing that. Hope mine is the same when I reach those miles.

Sweet. What oil filters are you using Matt?

K&N it's whole life. By the way I took my dad's spot at BMW if your ever around come by. I saw someone you know, can't remember his name but he has a r1200gs, said he rides with you, nice guy.

K&N it's whole life. By the way I took my dad's spot at BMW if your ever around come by. I saw someone you know, can't remember his name but he has a r1200gs, said he rides with you, nice guy.
That was Steve, yes, he told me the other day about the change. I have been meaning to stop by the shop and say hello.

That was Steve, yes, he told me the other day about the change. I have been meaning to stop by the shop and say hello.

Ya I am enjoying being around motorcyclists and not pirates :). May even get one, hardest part isn't deciding to get one, just which one to get lol.

I think the silicon found is to do with ingredients in the metallurgy of various bits, ie: "silicon carbide" etc. The RTV silicone is another thing entirely different.

I would be vaguely frowny faced at the oil guys not knowing the difference between silicone and silicon...

Edit: So I just looked up Silicone, and discovered there is silicon in silicone, lol. Who knew? :confused: :eek: All is happy faced mit der oil dudes I guess, heehee!

Last edited:
I think the silicon found is to do with ingredients in the metallurgy of various bits, ie: "silicon carbide" etc. The RTV silicone is another thing entirely different.

I would be vaguely frowny faced at the oil guys not knowing the difference between silicone and silicon...

Edit: So I just looked up Silicone, and discovered there is silicon in silicone, lol. Who knew? :confused: :eek: All is happy faced mit der oil dudes I guess, heehee!

Lol you better hope they didn't hear that, they may be coming for you.....

Lol you better hope they didn't hear that, they may be coming for you.....

I'm still more leaning towards the silicon being from a non-silicone source for some reason, but since I know nothing about the subject really, I would apologize to the Oil Enforcers, and hope I didn't end up wit da fishes...:eek:

:D

I'm still more leaning towards the silicon being from a non-silicone source for some reason, but since I know nothing about the subject really, I would apologize to the Oil Enforcers, and hope I didn't end up wit da fishes...:eek:

:D

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^. I am thinking the same silicon could be dust and dirt..........would you (hmcp88) be running a K&N air filter ?????????

Silcon makes up 28% of the earth surface.
But evidently it is in silcone sealer too ??????????????

Last edited:
Fantastic report. Helps reinforce my decision to use a full synthetic 10w40 and run it 8,000 miles. The 40 weight did drop to a very high 20 weight, but wear numbers look pretty damn good.

Now, I wonder what a 30 weight oil would look like after 8k.

What oils did you use before, as those managed to maintain a low 30 weight viscosity @ 100c

Last edited:
+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^. I am thinking the same silicon could be dust and dirt..........would you (hmcp88) be running a K&N air filter ?????????

Silcon makes up 28% of the earth surface.
But evidently it is in silcone sealer too ??????????????

Stock bike, stock filter. Has been changed at 12k and 24k.

Also Maxima 10w-40 has been run since break in. I also wonder how 10w-30 would break down but here in hot *** Florida I'm not interested in a thinner oil.

10w-30 oils generally post better shear-down numbers. Multi viscosity oils start with a 10w base oil. To that base oil an additive package containing long chain polymers among other additives creates an oil that has high temperature qualities of a 20, 30, 40, 50 or what-have-you weight oil. 10w40 oil has more of these long chain polymers than a 10w30 oil and it is the ratio of base oil to final oil that drives shear down. 1:3 fares better than 1:4. 15w40 oils do even better with a ratio of 1.5:4.....

That said, both 10w30 and 10w40 are recommended by Honda for 8,000 mile intervals in this engine/ transmission. With good oil and filters changed on time odds are very good there will never be an oil related failure in any Honda engine and it will run nearly forever on original bearings and rings.

Last edited:
Fantastic report. Helps reinforce my decision to use a full synthetic 10w40 and run it 8,000 miles. The 40 weight did drop to a very high 20 weight, but wear numbers look pretty damn good.

Now, I wonder what a 30 weight oil would look like after 8k.

What oils did you use before, as those managed to maintain a low 30 weight viscosity @ 100c

Even if they did shear down to 20 weight, I cant imagine that would be bad, since most new cars start with 5w-20 as fresh oil. The only difference being that the cars don't share oil with the transmission.

I've got 6K one my current Honda HP4 synthetic. Looking at your report, I feel good to go the remaining 2K miles. Thanks for that.

Back