• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

3rd Annunal Escape Derby Ride (Louisville, KY to Red River Gorge, Slade, KY)

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
Lets get out of Louisville and take a nice leisurely ride, the long way, to Red River Gorge. It will be an overnight trip, but that doesn't mean you have to stay. All riders and skills welcome. I will go over the plan once we get ready to leave.

Here is a link to the FB Event post: 3rd Annual Derby Escape Ride

Here is a link to the current draft of the route: Furkot | Derby Escape 2017

Lets get out of Louisville and take a nice leisurely ride, the long way, to Red River Gorge. It will be an overnight trip, but that doesn't mean you have to stay. All riders and skills welcome. I will go over the plan once we get ready to leave.

Here is a link to the FB Event post: 3rd Annual Derby Escape Ride

Here is a link to the current draft of the route: Furkot | Derby Escape 2017

In!! As long as it don't snow :cool:, and since it not Mothers Day weekend (as in last year), I can spend the night and enjoy some brews with the group...

Excellent! I am keeping my fingers crossed on the weather.

I have posted on the event page for everyone to cover their own plans on lodging or camping. I plan on staying at SBS, just waiting on them to open at noon so I can call and reserve a spot.

(606) 668-9927
Sky Bridge Station - Home | Facebook
Isnt SBS the hostel we stayed at 2 years ago?? I called them last year and they wouldn't rent out the beds one at a time, only the full rooms.

Isnt SBS the hostel we stayed at 2 years ago?? I called them last year and they wouldn't rent out the beds one at a time, only the full rooms.

Im going to try again this year and see. We had 6 who stayed the last time, right? It comes down to getting enough people to confirm. Maybe collect the money beforehand, and if they bail, then they lose their money rather than everyone else getting screwed on the deal. It's just so tough to get people to commit...

Im going to try again this year and see. We had 6 who stayed the last time, right? It comes down to getting enough people to confirm. Maybe collect the money beforehand, and if they bail, then they lose their money rather than everyone else getting screwed on the deal. It's just so tough to get people to commit...

I wonder if there is a motel or Inn down the road in Campton. If there are, it could be easier for the few of us to make reservations on each room. Yep, tough to get people to commit and show, and yep, we had 6 in the room 2 years ago. $12 each then (if they paid you.).

I wonder if there is a motel or Inn down the road in Campton. If there are, it could be easier for the few of us to make reservations on each room. Yep, tough to get people to commit and show, and yep, we had 6 in the room 2 years ago. $12 each then (if they paid you.).

I have looked at a few, but all are $50+ per night, and the cabins are starting at $95/night. The other place there is at Miguels, and they have rooms starting at $40, which 2 in a room is OK, and not much more than a single at SBS. However, we'll be dealing with the public at Miguels. Reservations rooms >> Red River Gorge Retreats

I am still going to see about SBS first. I dont want to have bring a growler for beer, but I will if I have to.

Dang it. I was just informed I have to work 4 hours on Derby Day (8am to 12 noon)-cant get out of it-other guys wont take my shift-they have Derby plans for the Derby. If I go, I would have to catch up with you guys somewhere on the route or meet up somewhere around the gorge.

That's ok. Keep us updated. I booked a room at that motel at Miguels for $40 (a couple deposits required for a total of $60) and I think Kelly is going, at least. He was on the GS that one trip down there where he and I camped.

they are filling up for that weekend. but there are other places as well, just in case. I never got a response from SBS, and dont want to get there and get turned away.

Last edited:
Please, do not forget, you will be responsible for your own lodging. Not enough people gave a firm answer to get a group rate anywhere. As of Friday, the motel at Miguels had 1 room left. There are also plenty of cabins, campsites and motels in the area, so there should not be a problem getting somewhere.

Weather looks OK for Saturday, with rain in the area after 7PM. Sunday looks dry after 5AM. Watch the weather on your own and make your own call. I will give my own definitive Yes/No Friday morning.

Dress for the weather, even without rain, the high for the weekend will be lower 60's on Sunday, lows in the lower 40's.

There will be 2 marshaling points:
* Louisville Riders: E.P. Tom Sawyer Park @ 9AM
* Everyone Else: Miguels Pizza, 1890 Natural Bridge Rd, Slade, KY 40376 @ roughly 2PM

After we eat, for those who want to ride with me around the gorge and through the Nada Tunnel, here is the route I plan on taking. Should take about 2 hours or so, depending on stops.

Furkot | Riding Around the Gorge

Well, unfortunately the weather is not going to cooperate with us this year. Rain is highly forecast for the entire day Saturday (when we ride in and around) and that is just not good for this area and the roads. For myself, I am canceling the run. It doesnt mean everyone cannot make their own decision, however I will not be heading out.

Yea, I am working and don't know what time I am getting out of work on Saturday now. The weather forecast for Derby day keeps changing every 10 minutes and some all calling for am showers, others are calling for chance of rain all day-and they could miss it like they did on Thunder day (Thunder day turned out to be a beautiful afternoon/evening).

Looks like Slade is pretty much all day rain until evening, which wont do any service to riding out there.

SUNDAY however is to be perfect. I am thinking of heading up to Rabbit Hash, then Aurora (for another vanilla porter) and down to Madison and home.

Back