• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

411 on Rear Rack

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to add a rear rack to the NCX, for a possible top case or just bolting down board for tying down a dry bag. Just wondering what your thoughts or experience are with your rear rack. How is the strength and durability? I am also curious on compatibility issue when used with other side case carriers. Do they interfere?

These are the rear racks I am considering:

- Honda OEM
- SW-Motech Alu-Rack
- Givi
- AltRider ?

Thanks

I have the Honda OEM and have found it too short to do much with. I had a rear luggage bag that worked well on my old Suzuki GS500 but it doesn't fit on the NC's rack at all. The rack is narrow and while it has some attachment locations, they are not well positioned for my gear. It's probably great for the HUGE trunk that Honda sells, but I have a hard enough time getting my leg over it without anything else to hit.IMG_0796.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0817.jpg

I also have the honda oem rear rack and top box. I love it. It does limit to what type of side cases you can use with it other than the honda oem ones. Thats the one down side. As far as durability I feel it does the job and then some. I put my rear honda top box into double duty by adding a backrest pad and top rack for the top box so i can strap down a dry bag on top of the top box. Its held up great thus so far. There is a few side racks that will work with it. Just got to do the research. I cant think of them from the top of my head

One last comment on the OEM rear rack. I have the OEM luggage and like it BUT. If you ever plan to upgrade the pillon seat you may have an interference issue. I did (I say did because I just installed a HondaBikePro cover). The OEM rear rack and top box pushes the top box closer to the passenger. I cannot fully open the rear seat. Just wanted to throw that out there. The rack itself is very sturdy and the topbox is great. Lots of room and stays dry.

I have the givi,with a top box from JC Whitney.but I also made a flat plate out of diamond plate in case I wanted to strap something big to it as you do.it works just fine for me.

I have the GIVI Topcase Mounting Hardware $120. It doesn't come with a platform. Topcases I've seen come with their own platform, and you have to fix that to the givi racks.
That might be optimal if you need something specialized... bigger.. a defferent shape... set back further.
With a few trips to the hardware store, you could have different platforms for different uses!

Last edited:
The SW Motech a Alu-rack is unobtrusive when not in use. It acts as a base to attach a top box adapter plate specific to the box you have. The Alu-Rack setup has adapters for many brands of top boxes. Or, they sell a flat rack meant to haul a dry bag. The adapter plates attach in seconds with (3) quarter turn fasteners. The Alu-rack also accommodates future attachment of side bag hardware. All that cool stuff adds up to be a fair wad of cash if you go with all the options, but it's the most flexible system. There are vendors other than Twisted Throttle that sell the rack itself at less cost, but some of the special stuff probably needs to be bought through TT.

The Givi side arm kit with a home-made flat rack attached would be the most cost effective, and still quite useful and attractive. With the Givi arms, you could attach a Givi top box plate, or switch that out for your flat rack as the need arises. However, the plate or flat rack would probably be a bolt on affair, unlock the SW-Motech quick change system. The Givi setup would be good, as long as you're happy with The Givi/Kappa product choices.

The Honda OEM rack is a bit pricey because you not only need the rear rack, but you also need to buy the side rails and switch them out for your stock handrails. From there you're stuck with the Honda top box, or you could bolt on a home made flat plate.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there as a wild card you might consider- there's a member on this forum who makes custom racks for this bike (johnakay). It was the first accessory I ordered when I bought the bike (wanted a passenger backrest-my rack has one built in) , and I've been really happy with it. The guy builds really nice sturdy stuff, and the rack itself has multiple tie down locations built into it. I cut and painted a thick plastic cutting board to use as a bolt-on base for mounting my topbox plate. All that goes on or off in about a minute. Edit: Should have read more carefully...you're thinking of side cases as well- not sure if this rack is compatible w/sidecases. I'm using soft bags with mine.

Last edited:
I've got both the sw-motech and one from TCI products. The SWM is too small to put much on by itself (I used it for a topcase), but you could bolt a platform on easily. It's sturdy and there are plenty of options for sidecases as well. The TCI is probably 14" wide, plenty of room to throw a bag on, with convenient places to hook your straps. They make plates for top cases, but the rack and sidebag supports are one piece, so you'd have to keep that in mind when you bought it, Also seems pretty sturdy, but I haven't tested it much so far.

Same as per 670cc and Chestnut on the SW Motech/Alu rack. I can't add anything better than theirs. :)

I too, went with the SW Motech because it offered the greatest variable of choices for attaching most major brands of saddle bags and top cases, with simply a change in little adapters. If you purchase a set of panniers and/or top case and then decide you don't like them, or want to change up to a different style, you are not stuck with all the $$$ hardware and brackets/braces etc., unique to only that brand or model.

The 1/4 turn quick release fasteners are totally bad *** cool, and zip zip! Everything is off and the remaining top luggage rails/base plate is pretty stealthy. :D

I went SW-Motech. They seem to have the most options for attaching different bags and top boxes with adapters for most brands. If SWMotech doesn't offer the adapters the bag manufacturerss frequently offer them. As Chestnut said the base tail plate is a little small by itself. I bought a generic wide aluminum plate that I bolt onto it with 3 bolts. Easy to switch between the plate and the Besteem Topbox. Didn't realize it at the time that SWMotech has a wide aluminum plate with quick locks. Recently bought the pannier brackets that mount to the rack. While SWMotech isn't the cheapest it has been nice to purchase in sections and spread the cost over time and reviews have generally rate their stuff well and as being stronger than Givi.

I've got both the sw-motech and one from TCI products. The SWM is too small to put much on by itself (I used it for a topcase), but you could bolt a platform on easily. It's sturdy and there are plenty of options for sidecases as well. The TCI is probably 14" wide, plenty of room to throw a bag on, with convenient places to hook your straps. They make plates for top cases, but the rack and sidebag supports are one piece, so you'd have to keep that in mind when you bought it, Also seems pretty sturdy, but I haven't tested it much so far.

There is a SW-MOTECH "Soft Luggage Carrier" it pop on with 3 cam locks and has strapping points. The dimensions are:

Dimensions:

• Depth: 10"
  • Front (closest to rider): 15 1/2"
  • Rear: (back of motorcycle) 13"

installs like this:

You can read more here:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-topcase-adapter-plate-for-attaching-soft-luggage

Kev

I also have the honda oem rear rack and top box. I love it. It does limit to what type of side cases you can use with it other than the honda oem ones. Thats the one down side. As far as durability I feel it does the job and then some. I put my rear honda top box into double duty by adding a backrest pad and top rack for the top box so i can strap down a dry bag on top of the top box. Its held up great thus so far. There is a few side racks that will work with it. Just got to do the research. I cant think of them from the top of my head

Thanks Stevodimare and Jguarfn28. Sounds like you are both very happy with the Honda OEM rack. It appears to be pretty beefy and durable. The downside might be it MAY NOT? be compatible with other side case racks. I will keep that in mind.

Same as per 670cc and Chestnut on the SW Motech/Alu rack. I can't add anything better than theirs. :)

I too, went with the SW Motech because it offered the greatest variable of choices for attaching most major brands of saddle bags and top cases, with simply a change in little adapters. If you purchase a set of panniers and/or top case and then decide you don't like them, or want to change up to a different style, you are not stuck with all the $$$ hardware and brackets/braces etc., unique to only that brand or model.

The 1/4 turn quick release fasteners are totally bad *** cool, and zip zip! Everything is off and the remaining top luggage rails/base plate is pretty stealthy. :D
LBS, 670cc, and Chestnut are on the SW-Motech camp and likes it for its versatility. The Alu-rack is a bit on the small side but it's nothing a diamond plate and a drill can't fix. It might be less intrusive (no cutting of fairing on my '12) and more compatible with other side rack (thinking about going with Givi with possible Tusk cases).

Hmmmmmm, decisions decisions

There is a SW-MOTECH "Soft Luggage Carrier" it pop on with 3 cam locks and has strapping points. The dimensions are:

Dimensions:

• Depth: 10"
  • Front (closest to rider): 15 1/2"
  • Rear: (back of motorcycle) 13"

You can read more here:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-topcase-adapter-plate-for-attaching-soft-luggage

Kev

Thanks Kev! I was just thinking about writing TwistedThrottle an email about the Alu-rack. Do you have insight on whether or not the Alu-rack would interfere with other side case racks (mainly Givi).

I have Honda luggage; all 3 pieces. The 'luggage rack' that carries the top box is really just a mounting plate. The slope of it and the size don't lend it very well to carrying items other than the OEM top box/trunk. I have no idea how easily anything else can be adapted to the Honda mounts. The Honda saddlebags were part of the bike when I bought it, and the plate and top box were extremely competitively priced. I couldn't have bought _any_ decent hard luggage for the amount I paid (combined) for the Honda stuff. I realize that's not the case for everyone.

I have the givi,with a top box from JC Whitney.but I also made a flat plate out of diamond plate in case I wanted to strap something big to it as you do.it works just fine for me.

Exactly what I did. I like having the diamond plate. I strap all kinds of stuff to it. Mine is 24" wide and about 10" deep. I have my Shad-36 side cases on with no interference.

No top box, just the plate. When camping, I use a dry bag.

Back