• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

50,000kn NC700X Strip Down video

Dave D

Reaction score
Visit site
A Spanish bike magazine have been doing a long term test of the Honda NC700X for 50,000km and have stripped it down to examine the condition of the components.

[video=youtube;YfytBIJc3_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YfytBIJc3_w#![/video]

If any of the Spanish speaking members could translate the findings I'm sure the rest of us would be very grateful.

Short version -
Very impressive! Virtually no signs of wear and nearly perfect inside. They were also impressed by the ride and construction of the bike.
This is a great review - one that makes me very confident in the bike's ability to last a very long time.
Thanks for posting it!

Short version -
Very impressive! Virtually no signs of wear and nearly perfect inside. They were also impressed by the ride and construction of the bike.
This is a great review - one that makes me very confident in the bike's ability to last a very long time.
Thanks for posting it!

Thanks for posting the findings.

Short version -
Thanks for posting it!

Do they mention what type of oil and filter they used for the services or how long the drain intervals where that they used for service?

Do they mention what type of oil and filter they used for the services or how long the drain intervals where that they used for service?

All the maintenance was done according to the owner's manual by an official Honda dealer, with the only exception that they changed the tires every 10,000 km to test different brands. So I would bet they used the OEM filters and the recomended oil.

I just stumbled upon this, with modern metalurgy, lubricants and cooling systems (oil or coolant) even if you tore down a Ural at this low mileage it would show the same wear or lack of it.

I just stumbled upon this, with modern metalurgy, lubricants and cooling systems (oil or coolant) even if you tore down a Ural at this low mileage it would show the same wear or lack of it.

Hmm, judging by what I have seen owners of up to date freshly made Urals mention over on ADV, I would still shy well away from them myself, lol

[...All the maintenance was done according to the owner's manual by an official Honda dealer...I would bet they used the OEM filters and the recomended oil...]

There is really no magic here although synthetic oil retailers would have you believe that your engine will grind itself to bits with dinosaur juice as a lubricant!

Years ago I read a test done by a taxi cab company in NY City. They had two sets of new Ford Crown Vics in this 12-month trial. One set used synthetic oil while the other used normal dinosaur juice and oil change intervals were whatever prescribed in the owner's manuals. At the end of the year, they yanked the engines, disassembled them and took measurements of pistons, bearing clearances, valve guides, etc. Both were so close to identical that the difference was moot.

Hmm, judging by what I have seen owners of up to date freshly made Urals mention over on ADV, I would still shy well away from them myself, lol

Same here...a guy I know own a Ural and he did a complete rebuild of the engine last automn at 22 000 km. It looks like Quality Check is not as important other companies...old school side-cars made the old school way. :(

[...All the maintenance was done according to the owner's manual by an official Honda dealer...I would bet they used the OEM filters and the recomended oil...]

There is really no magic here although synthetic oil retailers would have you believe that your engine will grind itself to bits with dinosaur juice as a lubricant!

Years ago I read a test done by a taxi cab company in NY City. They had two sets of new Ford Crown Vics in this 12-month trial. One set used synthetic oil while the other used normal dinosaur juice and oil change intervals were whatever prescribed in the owner's manuals. At the end of the year, they yanked the engines, disassembled them and took measurements of pistons, bearing clearances, valve guides, etc. Both were so close to identical that the difference was moot.
Years ago. That could be enough right there.

This "study" is often used as a reference but it's not available for actual knowledge of the methodology and results. Did they disassemble the engines in the study beforehand to ensure the clearances were benchmarked for subsequent study? In my job I drive Crown Vics or Grand Marquis for 150,000 miles and then start over with another the one. I've driven them for 22 years ( 7 of them) , well, I won't have another one as the 2011 I'm in now will be the last one. Ford in the 80's, 90's, and 2000s was not a paragon of manufacturing excellence. Some of my Fords started burning oil as early as 50,000 miles while others did not ever, at all.

I remember reading this years ago too, I think from Consumer Reports. Taxi's go through severe service for sure and I think the article was an eye opener to a lot of people. I also remember watching an episode of MotorWorld years ago where they did something similar and found the same results. Bottom line was unless your engine is going through severe torment like racing, there was no clear benefit to using synthetic. They recommended replacing one quart with synthetic to give you a part synthetic at most to make yourself feel better. With today's dino oils being so good the results are even more true I'm sure.

The Consumer Reports 'study' was definitely interesting, but engines that are nearly never shut off bear approximately zero resemblance to 'regular person' vehicles. It was a poorly-conceived test, even if the outcome would have been the same with a better-conceived one.

As to Urals: I picked up a guy on the freeway last year, pushing his brand-new bike whose engine just blew on him. It was a Ural. Based on that, I think Urals almost certainly do not look like Hondas inside after 30,000 miles (~50,000 kms).

Back