• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

50 cc Attempt Spring Break 2015

I texted with him. He is fine. Decided he wasn't getting enough sleep so he called it off. He thought he had posted that info. He is currently visiting family in Dallas. I looked back and after rereading post #35 he called it off then.

Last edited:
I am very curious to find out exactly what event or sequence of events sabotaged this particular attempt.
Weather, traffic or what?
Inquiring mind(s) need to know......:rolleyes:

- I couldn't make speed some of the time. Full throttle produced a max speed of 60 mph.
- the stops came in greater number than I'd planned and some went long.

by the time I got to Amarillo, I calculated 2 hrs sleep before getting up and doing it again... just wasn't a safe idea.

I think I'm not especially good at keeping to an assigned schedule. Others who finish the ride in time, ride at 70-75, and make each gas stop 15 minutes. It's a real discipline... one I have not mastered yet.

After a night in a hotel in Amarillo (and nine hours sleep), I went to visit a Texas relative, and then I went camping at "Mules Hole" courtesy of "freecampsites.net". I picked it at random, and Wow! It was camping as I've always wished for: remote, no one else there, and beautiful. the site looked like this:
20150401_082139.jpg

Pit toilets, not potable water, but lots of pic nic areas, hiking trails, fishing.... wow... I would go there again.

One of the camp sites turned out to be no longer available..that's the trouble with the site I mentioned. It's just Wiki, so anyone can post anything about a camp site.

Arizona, looked like this:
20150402_111957_Giant Crossinga.jpg

Lastly, I went KOA near the grand canyon, and it looked like this.
2015-04-03 17.36.13a.jpg
I'd never been to KOA, so I thought this would be a good start.
It was COLD!... 28F at night, and wow... I wish the electricity had worked at that patch of land. I would have hooked up both small electric blankets I carry. (I usually use these for cold weather. I sit on one, and put the other in my jacket. controls for both strapped to one leg. $20 each for the pads)

Am I embarrassed that I didn't complete the task? Sure.
I need to get faster and better at keeping on schedule.

It is my hope that people (you all) will still enjoy reading about it, following along, even when it doesn't go as planned.
I had some great camping and a good visit with family.
Was it worth it?.... Oh yes, it was.

Besides.... I get to try it again next spring break...

I count it a great honor to be amongs the NC700X group!
safet travels,
-Strat

Last edited:
Full throttle and only 60 mph? Headwind or something wrong with the bike?
Mike

I had my favorite local MC mechanic do the valves and a general tune up a week before I left. He knew exactly what ride I had in mind, so I'm pretty confident.

Head wind and 60MPH? yes, the only way I could beat that was to shift down to 5th gear and take the RPM up to 5K.... an RPM I rarely touch. That worked, but it also lowere MPG... so it had a price.

A professor friend of mine (gosh, do I have friends like that...?), once noted that he learns more for things that go wrong than right.
I hope someone who reads this will learn something... and maybe do a more efficient job than I did.

I had my favorite local MC mechanic do the valves and a general tune up a week before I left. He knew exactly what ride I had in mind, so I'm pretty confident.

Head wind and 60MPH? yes, the only way I could beat that was to shift down to 5th gear and take the RPM up to 5K.... an RPM I rarely touch. That worked, but it also lowere MPG... so it had a price.

Good trip anyway by the sounds. I rarely run my Honda topbox on trips anymore unless grocery shopping for that reason or ever at all anymore.I just pack less. Side cases with a large waterproof duffel low on seat behind me for a backrest works best for me travelling in big winds. I seem to travel in big wind often and unless u keep things low and tight it can be a long hard ride. The bike cuts wind well with its profile and low centre of gravity but once u make a huge sail out of the side profile of the bike handling goes out the window,the extra weight behind the axle line of a loaded topbox multiplies the problems along with the wind drag. Big side winds are the worst. Try ditching the topbox, pack less, u will be amazed how well ditching the top box helps. Just learn to leave the toasters and junk at home. Ride safe.

Back