• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

50 cc Attempt Spring Break 2015

First Update: sort of....

I leave from Oceanside, CA Sunday morning at 01:00 hrs. (suck o'clock in the morning).
Because it will be dark, I went there this afternoon for a start photo.
Here it is.
StratOceanside.jpg
I'm going with the full fairing, the big red canvas bags with the internal pvc pipe frame, and the Home Depot 20 gal project box as top box. That plus the Windshield and saddle bag guards make for a lot of home made stuff.

I hope to leave Oceanside at 01:00 hrs and arrive in Elk City OK around 22:00 hrs.
sleep 6, then on to Tybee Island, GA.

I'll post to this thread from my phone....if I'm not stupid tired.

more numbers:
first part - 1,200 miles, 17.5 hrs + 2.5 hrs for gas stops = 20 hrs
(1 gas stop = 20 min and there are 7 per 1200 mile run)
second part - 1,200 miles, 17.5 hrs + 2.5 hrs for gas stops = 20 hrs
sleep hrs = 6
margin for error and bad traffic = 4
20+20+6+4=50 hrs...

Goal: Buy gas at Tybee Island shell by 03:00 hrs Tuesday morning!

Last edited:
Dumb question:

Why are you caring so much stuff ??? Your not going to have enough time to change your underwear :D:D
I would think lighter and leaner.........?

Good luck.......

I'm camping at the halfway point and two other places on the return trip.
That fills the top box.

One red bag has two sets of clothing, and the other red bag has the motorcycle stuff.
the big one piece riding suit for when it rains, and the mesh coat for when it's too hot.
I'll be wearing the other riding coat and pants.

the first 50 hours will be most interesting, but I'm actually on the road for the entire week.

I concede I'm probably carrying too much stuff!

I've always told my two daughters (now 25 and 28),
" you can take off what you brought, but you can't put on what you left at home."

P.S. that post made me go through all the stuff. Nope ...not carrying that much.. most of it's riding stuff... in case it's cold. One of the red bags is mostly empty... but thanks for making me check it again...that's a good thing!

Last edited:
Good luck. I would like to try your windshield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The windshield is version 5 or so for me. It's made from one $20 piece of 48x24" Lexan. It has two hinged diamond shaped pieces that flex out of the way for handlebars full right or left. I've been very happy with that design.

I think the average total speed for my 50CC was 56 mph and that was riding speed limit plus 5 or 10 over. Some places the limit was 80. It's surprising how much the moving average drops due to stops. My moving average was 74 mph IIRC. You have to balance speed vs fuel consumption lost to higher speeds.

I think the average total speed for my 50CC was 56 mph and that was riding speed limit plus 5 or 10 over. Some places the limit was 80. It's surprising how much the moving average drops due to stops. My moving average was 74 mph IIRC. You have to balance speed vs fuel consumption lost to higher speeds.

Dave, you are my model for success. I want to keep the speed just about like you did...5-10 mph over the limit. ... except in parts of TX where the posted speed limit is 85 MPH!

Looks like another gas stop at Ash Fork, AZ. Approximately 450 miles behind him now. I broke the trip mentally into 5 and 10% segments so nearly 20% done!

Our intrepid traveler has passed into New Mexico and laid down approximately 625 miles. CA and AZ in the dust - way to go Don! 50% of today's ride is behind and 25% of the entire trip is completed.

If I continue as I am, I'm looking at 2 hours sleep and then another 1200 mile ride. Sigh! This is not a good idea.

As the Chicago Cubs often say
"maybe next year. "

Thanks for everyone looking in I do appreciate the support.

On the way back you can do as Dave did and stop in the Knoxville area for a run through Deals Gap. You are welcome to bunk in our spare room as well. I have a full garage with tire changer and even spare chain/sprockets now that I have upgraded the NC to a 525 set-up.

Back