• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

60/40 Tire choice for the NC

Thanks mate, I appreciate it!

Silly me, I figured more knobby tires would wear out even faster... must be some kind of compound thing or whatever.. I don't really care that much. Just want moar dirt without sacrificing my ability to commute at 70mph+, and more than 2k miles per rear tire. lol!

If you want dirt but don’t want to go as aggressive as the k60/tkc combo then you can try the Shinko 705 route. It does require a mod to lift the front fender but that is easily done. I don’t think we have anyone with high mileage on them yet but on other forums heavy bike riders are reporting 8-10K+ on the rear.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it!

Silly me, I figured more knobby tires would wear out even faster... must be some kind of compound thing or whatever.. I don't really care that much. Just want moar dirt without sacrificing my ability to commute at 70mph+, and more than 2k miles per rear tire. lol!

The TKC's wear pretty fast for the first 50% then they kinda stop wearing much.Also a worn TKC still performs well on pavement !!.
3y8ytebe.jpg

9e7adaju.jpg

Here they are at almost 12,000 miles.
The front is cupping a bit because I 'm not real good at keeping a eye on the pressure !! Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did an 1100 mile round trip on the 705s in wet and dry conditions and I'm still impressed with the traction of these tires. Ran up to 80 mph on I-30 and Texas two lane roads with a posted 75 mph speed limit......they didn't fly apart ;) So far, so good.
Mike

I had a first gen 705 front several years ago that delaminated, BUT until it did it was a real good tire. !!.

I am 90/10 on Tarmac. Should I try the Metz Tourance or stick to road tires like Z8 or PR4s?
Decisions decisions decisions....help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would do the PR3/PR4 for hard pack dirt and some light gravel for 90/10. They do fine as long as it isn't mud and last a long time. From what I've read the Tourance doesn't seem to gain you a whole lot and don't last as long. They make a PR3 Trail rear tire (I think in our size) that has a wider hard section of rubber in the middle.

I am 90/10 on Tarmac. Should I try the Metz Tourance or stick to road tires like Z8 or PR4s?
Decisions decisions decisions....help?

I think the Avon Distanzia is a good choice...........given your want or needs.

I have taken my bike with a Z8 up front and PR3 in the rear down fire roads, up rocky trails, and even on some softer, wetter stuff. It's not great, but for the long life and wonderful grip on road, I don't mind a little pucker-factor off pavement. Airing the tires down a bit (to 25-27psi feels a little more secure too.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

Almost going to order the new Tourance NEXT for my NCX. Any comments or last minute advise?

A quick perusal on the 'net seems to give them a fairly high review rating for satisfied owners.

Have there been any NCX riders report on them yet? Go for it, Happy! :D Be the first fearless reporter and let us know your results :)

A quick perusal on the 'net seems to give them a fairly high review rating for satisfied owners.

Have there been any NCX riders report on them yet? Go for it, Happy! :D Be the first fearless reporter and let us know your results :)

Thank you brother, I will do it!

On a side note, I ran my rear K60 flat for over 100 miles with no issues. !!!.

Northwestrider,
Cause you have had such great success with the K60/TKC80 combo .......my new bike is getting that combo....even before I take delivery of it at the end of the week. I run K60's front and rear on my KLR and I love them on gravel. So this combo should be great for the "adventures" I want to take on my NC !!

Since you ran them before there will not be any surprises on wet pavement. !!.

There might be a small learning curve with these tires. The K60's on my KLR have no centre strip, just a criss-cross tread pattern. The K60 tires for the NC have the centre strip so a little different. The centre strip is suppost to help with getting better wear.
Are they a little slick on wet pavement ??? I haven't had ANY issues with my KLR.

Yes the center strip does give the tire amazing milage , but it is a little slippery in the wet.I think the main issue is how HARD the rubber is , the hardest tire I have ever mounted. !!.

Northwestrider,
I probably missed it but what sizes, please, are you running with the TKC80 front and K60 rear? I always liked the TKC80 on the front of my KLR but wore out the back one too fast. I was thinking about mixing it with an Avon Gripster rear. Unfortunately, I can't find a Gripster fitment for the NC700X; I suspect they'd work really well if Avon would ever build them.

Back