• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

750x seat re-do

NCX19

Reaction score
Visit site
Never feeling assured the seat front lift mod was secure enough - though worked great ... I elected to re-pad the seat to level it.

My first thought was the seat is slanted forward. Checked upright and with a passenger on pillion ... the seat is actually level from factory.
There is a 3/4" dip in the middle under the torpedo level I used to check though.
Further inspection shows the middle 3rd of the seat pan is indeed sloping downward.
However there is extra foam in the OEM pad 'filling' this area.
I decided to try a very dense chipped foam - denser the better - to fill the dip area the level test indicated.
That is actually the first 2/3 of the seat pan,
Its deeper towards the front then tapers at the rear
I didnt continue the new foam for the last 1/3 of the seat pan. There is a crease in the pan's mold to mark the rear 1/3
Use a breadknife to cut new foam. I made no adjustments to the factory pad.

- pull old staples BUT leave the last row across the back of the seat.
makes it way easier when re-attaching cover.
- start staples with thin screwdriver, then use pliers
- the factory foam pad is lightly adhesived along its outermost edge, Some care and it pulled off with no issues,
- flipped seat pan upside down and pressed firmly into new foam to mark edges.
- cutout with knife
- measured depth of dip / slope in seat pan, and made marks on new foam to cut the depth of the new foam to contour to level the dip
- looking at about 1.25 to 1.5" at deepest point. Not rocket science - 1.75" might even be better.
- test fit on bike. added factory foam on top, and felt great.
- Scotch 77 spray adhesive on seat pan where new foam goes. apply generously to foam as well.
- wait 5 min !!! adhesive is like contact cement - you must give it time to get tacky
- carefully align and press it down. I left it overnight to set after initial glue down, but Id say a beer or 2 would be fine
-used bread knife aligned with side slope of seat pan to trim the new filler pad to fit.
- now ... the original pad set on top seems way too high now.
- experiment a bit. you will see it it can be pressed down to meet the bottom edge of seat pan where it was.
- dont pull it down by the edges, they will likely tear
- so ... spray 77 on seat pan edges, and new foam,
- spray 77 on the factory foam.
- and wait !!
- start at front, leave the factory foam edges pulled away and really press down front edge of factory pad.. Then when aligned, push front edges to the seat pan
- miracles it sticks hard and looks like stock.
- do the rear edge similarly.
- then the sides.
- all being careful not to let sides touch seat pan before ready.
- the factory pad will squish down, and the sides meet the bottom edges of the seat pan.
- the Scotch 77 is very strong, esp over a large area. Unless you dont let it tack up.
- simply pull cover to front, and get finger under rear corners to work cover back up smooth,
- I used an Arrow T50 air stapler at 95psi. and 1/4" deep staples
- less pressure and they didnt go in all the way.
- you can use a manual stapler too - just a workout.

-- Oh, forgot to mention ... after removing factory pad, I noted there was a lot of condensation in the dimples?? in the seat pan.
Bottom of seat foam was soaked .... thats why I left it all till the next day. I drilled all the dimples to leave a drain hole for future.
The pic showing water - I'd already tried drying with a cloth. Had to use compressor to blow it all dry.

The cover fits over the whole setup very well and the old staple holes in the cover align easily with the original seatpan holes.
Not they have to ... you may need to adjust as required to eliminate any creases in cover,

Actual work time was honestly less than the time to get tools and supplies together plus cleanup.

Im not an upholsterer. This isnt a hard job. Just do it,

the result is the seat is secured properly, is not sloped feeling any longer. Is more comfortable ...
Perfect result. No need for a new $$$ seat.

I had the 77 spray from a previous project. 16x16" high density chipped foam x 2" deep was $36 Canadian tax in.
Whole job was about an hour with cleanup.

Pics: pics #'s 0-8 (click on pics for link)

Last edited:
I did a seat re-do last summer with the opposite approach; removing foam. I was a fan of Corbin seats firmness but didn't like their product for the NC where they kept a forward slope. After few months now, and to be perfectly honest, I am more impressed than I initially thought with the improvement in comfort for my skinny body.

Any pics of your re-done seat installed on the motorcycle?

I did a seat re-do last summer with the opposite approach; removing foam. I was a fan of Corbin seats firmness but didn't like their product for the NC where they kept a forward slope. After few months now, and to be perfectly honest, I am more impressed than I initially thought with the improvement in comfort for my skinny body.

Any pics of your re-done seat installed on the motorcycle?

HaHa .. nobody has accused me of being skinny :) Guess I should have added I'm about 250 Lbs and the additional filler is holding up good for me,

Back