• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

9 days out west

Yes, it is extremely capable at hwy speeds with plenty of power left for passing, even in 6th gear. I was very pleased that I felt as good after our 600 mile Day 1 as I normally feel on the numerous larger and heavier bikes that I have owned. I am downsizing from a R1200 GS and that one is for sale. Keeping the 500x.

Did I forget to say, it's also very pretty?

Searsboy, thanks for posting this. I sure enjoyed this trip so I thought I would add a few comments "from they guy on the 500x". Those of you that ride to Big Bend from Houston or San Antonio,taking 349 and 2400 south from Sheffield is a great way to break up the long stretches on I-10 or Hwy 90. I think this was our first 600 mile day on the "small" bikes. I will give the 500x a solid A as a mount for a long day.

Good input TexRivers. I do enjoy taking that route to Big Bend!

I see that I posted my comments on Day 1 on Page 4, oops. This was my third trip down Pinto Canyon Road. Broke my leg on the first trip, but that's another long story. The northern sections were much rougher this time than when Searsboy and I rode it about two years ago. I was VERY impressed how the 500xwith stock suspension and 41 psi in the stock street tires handled the rough stuff fully loaded. It was the rider that was subpar.

I wouldn't ride with ya if you were subpar. :cool:

Day 5,was absolutely AWSOME I was nervous because we had no idea what we were getting into. We may get 50 miles down a dirt road and run into very difficult stuff that this old man has no business attempting, but it turned out just the opposite. It kept getting better and better and better. I gave the 500x an A++ on Day 5. That's the dat I knew for sure I am keeping it.

That was the best offroad day for sure. I'm about done with the video from the offroad riding starting in Pinon...it's very scenic!

My gear (500x guy) that's the pretty white bike.

I was wearing mesh jacket and pants the entire time. On cooler mornings I wore the pants liners outside the pants to cut the wind. Works great. Searsboy taught me that, and many other things, some actually good. Unlike Rambo, I did use my heated liner and gloves several times but only plugged in for a few hours. I do not have heated grips. When wearing the heated liner under the mesh I wear an insulated Olympia liner over the heated liner. Yes, I can still bend my elbows, thank you. After breaking my let on a fall a few years back, I like to wear my heavy BMW off-road boots when we do gravel and they are fully waterproof. I took one pair of jeans and two cotton Ts to be able to shed the riding clothes for evening dinners. Base layers were the wash overnight stuff that fits tight and keeps things in place while bouncing over the rocks.

Everything, except the camping gear that Searsboy wouldn't let me use, fit in my Ortlieb Moto Speed bags. I also give them an A+. The exhaust on thr 500x comes up pretty high and these were the only waterproof ones I could find that fit well.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1033/36410/Ortlieb-Moto-Saddle-Bags

As I mentioned above the bike suspension and tires are stock and I never aired down. I have added engine guards, they work great but don't ask how I know, handguards, radiator guard, rear tire hugger, center stand and skid plate. If any 500x folks want more detail on model #s etc I will provide.

I'm not Rambo...just warm natured!!!

Day 6 rocked, except waiting for Searsboy to take a dump in the woods. The entire day we had beautiful scenery and the roads, both paved and unpaved, were more A+++. I wana go back, soon.

Yes, but we answered that age old question..."does a trailboss $hit in the woods?"
Yes...yes he does!

Day 8:

After a great breakfast at Isaak's in Junction, we headed out. Today was TexRivers' birthday, so he had the honor of leading us toward home. Our intent was to reach Dripping Springs, great name BTW, and then have an easy last day riding home. We took some very nice backroads out of Junction and headed for Enchanted Rock (north of Fredericksburg).
Here we stopped at the Doss Store. Looked like a cool place, but was unfortunately closed...turned into a photo op.

20151111_110729.jpg20151111_110808.jpg20151111_111025.jpg

We got on some new roads on our way to the Willow City Loop. The new discoveries are a real treat as we have ridden this area quite a bit. I video'd a group of turkeys crossing the road...why?...because if chickens can do it...turkeys can too! The view of Enchanted Rock is amazing. It never gets old riding past it. Quite a large chunk of granite! Next up was Willow City Loop. This is a very popular area in springtime. If it's a good year for wildflowers, they are exceptional here and everybody knows it. We were pleasantly surprised to encounter several little, and I mean little, water crossings on this loop as well as our next memorable road (Cypress Mill Road).
We got into Dripping Springs about 12:30 and decided to grab lunch and keep riding. The French Dip and desserts were very good!

IMG_3761.jpg20151111_150238.jpg

We took some nice roads out of Drippings Springs, got on the new tollroads to skirt around Austin and hooked em into La Grange for the night. This would make for a very ez day home tomorrow. Since we had BBQ in Junction last night, it was only fitting that we had Mexican tonight! Another fabulous day in the books. The weather was very nice, mild, and we had the roads to ourselves.
A storm was headed our way overnight, so we grabbed covered parking at the motel!

20151111_195735.jpg

Last edited:
Once again I hafta backtrack. A couple of days ago we stopped in Ozona for pie. Across the highway from the cafe was an interesting City Hall Complex. I stumbled on these pics and thought you may enjoy...

20151110_153501.jpgFB_IMG_1447212479956.jpg20151110_153447.jpg

Day 9:

Last day of the trip! We took some nice backroads out of La Grange and headed for a breakfast at Orsak's Cafe in Fayetteville.
We love this place for breakfast or lunch!!!

20151112_092444.jpg

Back on the road again and smelling the barn!!!
We good nice roads to Columbus, Eagle Lake and then boring 90A the last 50 miles.

Here's a video of the ride from Junction to home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ystRcyRKKxY

Summary:

On a scale from A to F this was an A+++ ride! Our expectations were exceeded!!! We couldn't have asked for better weather, roads, scenery and food (well there was that one incident). The bikes and gear were flawless. TexRivers and I took turns leading...we switched at every gas stop. We never were in a hurry... took our time to enjoy the ride. Thanks to TexRivers for helping create another wonderful memory!

I will soon be posting the slideshow and videos in the video section of this forum.

Day 6 rocked, except waiting for Searsboy to take a dump in the woods. The entire day we had beautiful scenery and the roads, both paved and unpaved, were more A+++. I wana go back, soon.

Everytime I have been to Big Bend and Fort Davis I say the exact same thing, "I wana go back, soon".

Really enjoyed the videos. Never been out that way...need to give it a try.

Go west young man!!!
I've taken a lot of roadtrips and most of them have been out west. This was the first time to explore the Cloudcroft area. Simply amazing. GREAT paved and unpaved roads!!!

Day 8 was another A+++ day of rolling Texas hills, new twisty roads, beautiful wildlife and spending my birthday with my best riding buddy. Even topped it off with a good steak. Thank you Searsboy for all the great memories.

Day 8 was another A+++ day of rolling Texas hills, new twisty roads, beautiful wildlife and spending my birthday with my best riding buddy. Even topped it off with a good steak. Thank you Searsboy for all the great memories.

Let's start planning the next adventure!!! :)

Back