• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A Couple NCX's on a Minimum Maintenance Gravel Road

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a ride with Nebraskagirl on Saturday (May 21st) and we found a cool minimum maintenance gravel road!

Here is the link to the video; [video=youtube_share;uo8piA-MGqs]https://youtu.be/uo8piA-MGqs[/video]

Don't bother watching the last few seconds, you'll just see me stalling my NCX at the end! I was going to turn around and film Nebraskagirl going through the final bit, but she just sailed right on through, no stalling and no fuss!

Maybe I should ask her for lessons! :)

belrix

Were you on stock tires or did you have dual sport? I will be doing that style of riding sometimes and would like to plan accordingly.

Thanks,
Tim

My NCX is riding on a Continental TKC-70 on the front and a Mitas E-07 on the rear, Nebraskagirl is on the Pirelli Scorpion Trails that her bike came with.

I really, really like my tire setup, works very well for the gravel roads in my area. Plus they allow me to almost keep up with Nebraskagirl. ;) Once she is riding more aggressive dual-sport tires she'll leave me in the dust.

How is the vibration at highway speed? We will be having a mix of highway and offroad. Work is 100 miles roundtrip on highway, but weekends will be trail and highway. Not sure if that would be too aggressive for my needs of if they tires would last. Sounds like they are perfect for the trail. I know I need something better than the street tires.

Thanks,
Tim

How is the vibration at highway speed? We will be having a mix of highway and offroad. Work is 100 miles roundtrip on highway, but weekends will be trail and highway. Not sure if that would be too aggressive for my needs of if they tires would last. Sounds like they are perfect for the trail. I know I need something better than the street tires.

Thanks,
Tim

I don't notice any vibration at high speeds but the TKC-80 is a little noisy at speed, with ear plugs it is not bad at all.

I only managed 8,000 miles out of my first set but I run a fairly low tire pressure and I'm a large guy, both factor into a lower lifespan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar to belrix I run a TKC80 front and E07 rear and haven't noticed any vibration at speed. Did 1200 mile to CO and 1200 back with no issues beyond the TKC80 being a little noisy but as belrix said ear plugs solves that and I wear ear plugs anyhow.

I always get about 8000 miles on TKC80. That is good milage on a dirt/street tire. The TKC80 is about the best for the duel sport purpose.

Hi Old Can Ride. When you had TKC80s on Nana Chou, do you recall whether you used size 150/70B/17 in the rear? I'm shopping for TKC80s to take my 2012 NC700X on the California Adventure Trail and because the TKC80 rear tire doesn't come in the same size as the stock NC rear wheel I'm a little uncertain. Thanks.

Back