• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A good reason not to follow to closely

MDouglas 71, Cockblocked? Had to comment on this old thread. Were you getting a blowjob and someone flew off when you hit the brick. Cockblocked usually equals someone interfering with your intended sex object here in CA. I guess it means something altogether different in Arkansas, which is Bill Clinton country...:)

I'm a bit confused. MDouglas71 is in Canada so how does Arkansas come into play?

BTW while Clinton had been governor of Arkansas he never carried the state in the presidential elections but he did carry California twice and then they moved to NY. Did take a bit but Arkansas figured them out.

I like to have enough room between me and whatever is in front of me to get out the way of anything that it might straddle or kick up. That does mean that other vehicles will pass and fill the gap. That's ok. On long trips you are either passing or being passed.
If passing, get it over with fast. If being passed, it won't take long for the passerby to be far enough away to not be a problem.
I find on a long day, it is less tiring to do around 5 mph less than the average bear.
I have had days where I was the "passer". That puts me on edge and takes the fun out the ride (for me) - but I do get in the miles!

I'm a bit confused. MDouglas71 is in Canada so how does Arkansas come into play?

BTW while Clinton had been governor of Arkansas he never carried the state in the presidential elections but he did carry California twice and then they moved to NY. Did take a bit but Arkansas figured them out.

Sorry, got a little snippy there. Didn't sleep good last night.

During my riding school (1995), there was already a lot of attention for save riding, motorcycle control, actions in emergency cases, expect the unexpected.
After passing all tests, I took some years later an additional riding technique course which helped me a great deal.

When riding in a group, I usually keep 2 seconds from the rider in the line straight in front of me, and the whole group is positioned in "brick format" (I keep left of the lane, the rider behind me keep right, the one behind him left again and so on).
When riding solo I keep more than 2 seconds from the vehicle in front of me, for the only reason that I can not see very much in front of them and therefor am not able to "scan" the road ahead.

When an object appears in front of you, like a piece of 2x2 wood or a piece of tyre, it's perfectly okay to run it over, just keep rolling straight and the throttle unchanged. From a certain speed (30 and up) a motorcycle is more self-balancing than you think. Try it for yourself (wood, tyre, dead dog ;)) on a quiet road. You'll be surprised...

The other day I was out for a walk and found two full size batteries in the road. They looked like boxes but would have been very unpleasant to hit in a car, let alone a motorcycle.

If nobody is behind me, I follow with several seconds of separation, left side of the lane. If I'm also being followed, I try to leave as much as when I'm not. If someone fills the gap, I slow down until the gap is the same as before, and if that's not possible (car in my rear wheel), I speed up and pass the car ahead (if there's not too much congestion). I try not to ride if I know traffic will be bad

Back