• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A proper Chain guard

Big blue

Reaction score
Visit site
As we do not have shaft drive,the original chain guard barley covers,and all Huggers simple dump all the water,grit,and grime over the chain but keep the tail cleaner..has anyone found a proper chain guard that covers the chain.cheers
Ride safe

Thanks I'll take a look,my concern is after having belt and shaft drive for years the chain is so unprotected.the original guard leaves the chain generally uncovered,and Huggers I have looked at will just direct rain and debris over the chain.
Cheers

What are you trying to protect the chain from? Any guard or hugger on the market isn't going to stop the chain from getting wet and dirty. The entire bottom side of the chain is always hit with spray from the road and tire.
There hasn't been any posts of anyone seeing any wear or damage to the chain just from riding in the elements.

Thanks for your reply
I appreciate the bottom of the chain is always going to be unprotected,at least any muck should be shaken loose,but all of the Huggers I have found would direct rain and debris over the top of the chain.The guards as they are do very little,some even have large gap's where the chain is visible?
Unlike the market for looks,I am looking for a protective solution
To keep the chain.

The X-Adv has a very good chain guard as original equipment. It is probably one of the best I have ever had on a modern bike as OE. It probably doesn't protect the chain any more than any other (lesser) chain guard. However what it does do is protect the rear of the bike from chain lube mess. This bike gets one of the dirtiest rear ends in wet weather that I have ever owned. That 15 inch wheel together with the rough roads that I ride don't help. If chain lube fling-off were to get in the mix then things would be far worse. In short no lube gets past the chain guard and as such it does a really good job.
Of course if one needs to protect the chain and thereby get longer life from it, then a fully enclosed guard is needed with a light oil bath. I haven't seen one of those in years.

1609677685306.png

For what it's worth I haven't had a chain guard on my bike in several years and I'd say I get more than the average life span out of my chain. I also don't religiously lube/oil it. My bike sits outdoors every day on the sidewalk at least for the last 2 years, and I ride in the rain and snow all year round.
No amount of rain or dirt from normal riding conditions is going to really cause a significant amount of wear on the chain. That is why there is no chain guard or rear fender that protects the chain in that way.

A chain guard's purpose is to stop the chain from flinging debris like rain/dirt and grease all over the bike. It also serves to a smaller degree to make it harder to get something like a pant leg or finger from getting pulled in. You could also argue that it helps keep larger rocks from bouncing up into the chain but I don't know if that is really true.

Motorcycle companies aren't worried, 3rd party manufacturers aren't worried, so don't worry about it.
Just keep your bike clean oil the chain and clean it once in a while and it will be fine.

The X-Adv has a very good chain guard as original equipment. It is probably one of the best I have ever had on a modern bike as OE. It probably doesn't protect the chain any more than any other (lesser) chain guard. However what it does do is protect the rear of the bike from chain lube mess. This bike gets one of the dirtiest rear ends in wet weather that I have ever owned. That 15 inch wheel together with the rough roads that I ride don't help. If chain lube fling-off were to get in the mix then things would be far worse. In short no lube gets past the chain guard and as such it does a really good job.
Of course if one needs to protect the chain and thereby get longer life from it, then a fully enclosed guard is needed with a light oil bath. I haven't seen one of those in years.

View attachment 43873
Thanks for your thoughts
Yes the pictured one does cover well on the sprocket face side does it cover much on the wheel side?
I take it it will not fit on a nc750x ?
Yes it's been years since an enclosed chain guard was available as an available extra.
Back in the days when chain guards were made of metal and
Covered a lot more of the chain than these flimsy plastic things

Thanks for your thoughts
Yes the pictured one does cover well on the sprocket face side does it cover much on the wheel side?
I take it it will not fit on a nc750x ?
Yes it's been years since an enclosed chain guard was available as an available extra.
Back in the days when chain guards were made of metal and
Covered a lot more of the chain than these flimsy plastic things

First of all that guard won't fit the 750X because it is on a completely different swingarm.

The two attached show the coverage. I suspect that the Rossocromo item that I linked to You above, might have similar coverage although I would ask to see a photo taken from behind.

I will mention that I probably only adjusted the original chain on this bike twice during the 33,000kms of its life. That is probably down to diligence on my part with regard to chain care. Possibly the chain guard may have played a small part also but that is open to debate. Difficult to know. However by comparison the original chain on my former NC700X only lasted 16,000kms.

IMG_0586.JPGIMG_0589.JPG

I had this one. Didn't work all that well, was a pain to install and an even more difficult job to remove and replace when attempting to clean the whole area. I think it helped with fling off the chain, but not so much with mud splatter.

Attachments

• 20171001_174049.jpg
    20171001_174049.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
I had this one. Didn't work all that well, was a pain to install and an even more difficult job to remove and replace when attempting to clean the whole area. I think it helped with fling off the chain, but not so much with mud splatter.
Hi, thanks for your post
I'm still looking.the original chain guard really is a joke it guard's very little and is just a legal requirement here in the UK.
It offers little..and all of the Huggers just hide the problem and direct the muck from the wheel over the chain..if only they had a separate channel for the chain.
Ride safe, stay safe

I have installed the PUIG Hugger on two bikes, my '14 NC700X and my "20 NC750X. It fits either one. Very easy install and is both a proper chain guard and a hugger that keeps most debris out of the shock.

Big Blue - did you get anywhere with this?
I ride through the winter and have found the same as you, that the hugger dumps the water and much on the chain. So much so that on a 30 mile ride in the rain with a chain lubed the night before and a chain oiler it looked dry at the end of the ride.
On most 60's and before classic bikes the chain guard came down behind the chain and on a few there was a guard for the lower run.

Back