• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

About to buy, in need of final tips.

Hunter05

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

I'm about to buy a 2012 NC700X on Saturday :D.
I've been riding a CB500X for the past 6 months which has had several ongoing problems, therefore I have given up on it, choosing to move to the NC.
I had a go on a restricted NC750X for a while which I loved so this is the direction I am going now.
Are there any common faults/bits to change from the get-go or is it fairly good from stock?
I'm hoping the difference in the 700-750 isn't too great as I loved the 750 when I tried that, looking at past threads the conclusion was mixed.
Any new tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

We have both a 700 and a 750. There is not that much difference between the two. If you found a good used 700 then snap it up!

I would have got a 750x but I don't have the extra money to do it.
I'm glad they're not too different. Any tips for the NC700x?

No tips from me. The bikes are pretty much identical in every way. The 750 sounds a little throatier and feels like it has a bit more energy, but really they are the same thing. Buy what you can afford and enjoy the heck out of it.

Most feel the Nc700x is a good, all around bike that does everything well with great economy and reliability. Even the first year model fits that reputation with some clocking over 100,000 miles and still going. There are plenty of faster bikes but not in the price range.
There have been no significant design changes since the first model year, only refinements, showing this bike was well thought out from the beginning. You should be well pleased.
You may want to personalize the bike a little but that's up to you. Enjoy.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

No tips from me, Hunter05, just congratulations... and a little envy. I still have 1.5 months left of my volunteer gig before I can do the same, at the ealiest. Good luck with yours; may it be a trouble-free pleasure for as long as you choose to keep it!

There is a 4 or 5 hp difference in unrestricted 700s and 750s (I take it you are in the UK) which should be especially noticeable to you, in a nice way, as it’s probably closer to 8 hp when coming from a restricted 750.

I tried the 750 while owning the 48bhp 700 and there was little between them if at all. My only issues were replacement rear wheel bearings at low mileage and paint lifting on one of the wheels thereby causing a slow leak. I now know how to prevent water ingress to the rear wheel axle so I do not expect any more wheel bearing issues on my NC derivitive. If Your potential purchase still has the original chain in place You might wish to replace it because the original chains were base quality.

Welcome to the Ride Hunter, and a hearty welcome from north IDAHO USA!! Give it a thorough going over to make sure the fluid levels are all up and good, that they have the correct tire psi and good tread depth remaining, the chain has the proper tension and lubed, then get on that thing and RIDE Man!!!! :{)

Thanks everyone!
Looking forwards to the reliability of the NC700 after my current bike.
Can't wait to unleash the torque round the bends =D
Do the wheel bearings need replacing often?

I don't hear about it being done often. I have done the rear once. Looks like water got in. When I replace the tires I have added pulling out the seals and re-greasing to my maintenance plan.

I'd say for mods, the only real essential for me was adding the center stand, for being able to easily lubricate and adjust the chain.

As halfSpinDoctor mentioned a center stand is really nice to have. I also find having a larger windscreen and bark buster or equivalent hand covers to be nice.

For someone new to NC700x the only other things I'd want to tell you about that I learned the hard way.

1)The front turn signals are a pain in the butt to completely replace.
2)The right hand side mirror spins on backwards to most mirrors, and will require an adapter of some sort for aftermarket mirrors.

Cheers guys
Thankfully I'm buying one with a centre stand, I'm going to try and move the barkbusters from my current bike over.
I don't think I could ride without them... Same with a higher screen.
I appreciate all the tips!

Back