• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adjusting the parking brake

bode61

Reaction score
Visit site
My parking brake of my DCT doesn't seem to hold the bike so I am guessing it just needs adjustment. Anyone have any idea on how hard this is to do or how long would it take a shop to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Bode

Very simple! A nut behind the muffler (you need to remove the muffler for that). 1/2 hour tops for removal, adjustment and put back together.

Last edited:
:confused:

So… My parking brake wasn't feeling strong as it used to. I have the manual, and adjusted as it said at the rear wheel. Took about 1 minute to do (because I have the GPR muffler, no need to remove it)

Problem is:
The manual says that the arrow on the Hand lever should fall between the two notches when activated. Mine is now a bit past the last notch now. I figure this means I should have done the adjustment on the hand lever side. The manual just says to "release the dust cover". Does this mean to CUT it?? How do you "release" it?

Is there a way to remove the dust cover without damaging it? To wrap new shrink tube, I'd have to disconnect the cable, and I don't want to do that at all….

The brake is working strong, so is it really a problem if the arrow is past the notch?

to Jay or anyone who has the NC700XD with Auto transmission and parking brake.

I don't have a manual yet, but wish to adjust the parking brake, after 2 years and 11K miles, it needs to be adjusted for more static grab (parking).

I read from Jay Fridays reply above that this is done at the rear wheel, which I think is correct due to no cable adjustor at the handle up front. I see that there is also no cable adjustor at the rear wheel, only a bolt and locknut that is inline with the piston displacement (towards the brake pad and rotor).
Is the intent from Honda for the adjustment to be done with this bolt somehow? Does it simply reduce the gap between the pads and the rotor while somehow allowing the cable to be non-adjustable?
Help any one who is familiar with the NC700X!
thanks
Adrian

Last edited:
Just slide the tube (dust cover) back away from the brake handle and expose the adjusting barrel and the locknut. No damage or cutting will occur. This is a two minute fix. If it takes longer, check on what you are doing because you may be doing something wrong.

I stopped on a hill yesterday and needed both my feet to balance the bike and my hands to fiddle with something on my phone.

I applied the parking brake and the bike started rolling.

This is probably because every once in awhile I ride it a dozen feet with the parking brake on and have worn the pads a bit. Oops.

You'll need an 8mm and I think a 10 (or 12mm) wrench to adjust the cable at the grip. Same as throttle. A few twists and you'll be good. Mine was fine and I inspected the brake at the rear for damage and it was fine too.

You do not need to remove the exhaust to adjust the parking brake at the brake. Make sure the adjuster at the handle bar is adjusted all the way in. You need a 12mm deep socket, undo the lock nut, turn in the adjustment rod until it stops (that means the pads are on the disc) and the turn it out 1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut 17NM and you are done. It really is a three minute job.

Perfect

Bode, if you don't have the shop manual - I will send you the copies of appropriate pages from the manual. :)

Or anyone else for that matter...

Or try this :
1. NC-Parkingbrake-1_zps4816aa2f.jpg Photo by icing777 | Photobucket
2. https://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z465/icing777/NC700XD/NC-Parkingbrake-2_zps0318eb4b.jpg

Hit the "+" in a circle on the bottom right to explode the pics. Could do it a number of times.

Took less than minute to adjust parking brake at the caliper. You can take off the muffler and disassemble the engine too, but i prefer to loosen one nut, adjust and tighten.

I tried supertux's method and it was just as easy as adjusting a clutch's freeplay on a manual bike.

2 minutes should be plenty of time.
Except for the rubber dust cover. I tried sliding back on up the cable when I'd adjusted it and the tip folded in on itself about a 1/2 inch. Now it won't cover the threads like it's supposed to.
Any idea on what tool to use to stick in there to get the tip back out, so it slides over the exposed area?

Could you send me the pics of how to adjust parking brake on the nc700x dct. I cant open the ones that was posted

I have a question about adjusting the parking brake. When setting it with the adjuster up front should the parking brake be set to ON during the adjustment? Additionally, when adjusting with the rear wheel nut should the parking brake be set to ON? It seems to me that if the brake was off during the adjustment and then the adjustment was made until resistance was felt then the brake would be really hard ON when it was set by using the parking brake lever. On the Africa Twin directions they say to put the brake on the first notch then set the adjuster. I wonder if that is true for the NC too?

Back