• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Adventure helmet style?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
So I’m looking for a new helmet to upgrade from my Fly racing lid but I have to ask, What is the point of the visor/beak on so many of these dual sport adventure helmets? Is there any advantage when just riding street?

So I’m looking for a new helmet to upgrade from my Fly racing lid but I have to ask, What is the point of the visor/beak on so many of these dual sport adventure helmets? Is there any advantage when just riding street?
Many of these helmets are used with goggles, often at lower speeds on technical tracks, the visor is for sun but offers minimal benefit at highway speeds or on asphalt. When constantly changing directions off-road on technical trails/tracks the sun visor can offer benefits because the goggles worn instead of the clear shield are typically clear, yellow or some other color that is not great for riding into the sun.

You'll also notice that adventure style helmets often have large vents in the chin area, this is to increase airflow into the helmet as the riding speeds off-road often a low enough that the regular vents don't offer enough cooling airflow through the traditional vents on the top of the helmet. For example the Scheuberth E1 is identical to the C3Pro with the exception of the top vent shape, the visor and the chin bar. The top vent shape allows the visor to pass over it. The large vent in the chin bar is said to increase airflow into the helmet by (according to a review I read somewhere) 60% versus the vents on the C3Pro. The shell of the E1 helmet is identical to the C3Pro, as is the face shield.

Many/Most ADV helmets have visors that are removable for street use. Then it becomes more of a touring helmet with a large eye port (which I dig). The visor is pretty useless on road and detracts from the streamlined shape and causes drag-- especially at freeway speeds.

My personal fav, and the one I am using now is the Nolan n72-gt. It's a bit noisy for my tastes, but the visibility is fantastic. It's also a Nolan, so it's got that italian quality build to it. The viewport is MASSIVE for a full face/modular.

Attachments

• nolan-n702-gt-special-n-com.jpg
    nolan-n702-gt-special-n-com.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 5
The bills/peaks/whatever are a holdover from dirt bike helmets. If you're riding strictly on the street, they have zero use or advantage apart from a tiny amount of sun shading under just the right conditions. You're not gonna get roosted on the street, so being able to tip your helmet down and block the roost with that peak is a non-thing.

Back