• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventure tire for 2019 nc750x - limited options

I just installed SpeedoDRD speedometer correctors on my GL1800 and on my CRF250L (each running stock tire sizes). The Goldwing needed a 6% correction factor to bring it’s speedometer to match 2 different GPS units. The CRF required 5% correction to match two different GPS receivers. (Of, course, I would never expect the different GPS units to not match each other anyway). I have no idea what speedometer accuracy requirements the US might have, but if it’s 3%, Honda and other motorcycle manufacturers have been getting away with a lot more than 3% error for a long time.

Maybe you meant odometer accuracy. I have not checked my motorcycle’s odometers for accuracy.

I have not personally witnessed a GPS receiver with good satellite signal reception displaying incorrect speed.
So I went back and tried to find it and I don't know where I got 3% from...it definitely was not odometer accuracy though. The actual speedometer accuracy is determined to be +/- 5 MPH at 50 MPH. Now whether that means within 10% across all speed ranges or what, I don't know. But also leads to why you typically won't get pulled over on a US highway if going 5 over the posted speed limit.

So I went back and tried to find it and I don't know where I got 3% from...it definitely was not odometer accuracy though. The actual speedometer accuracy is determined to be +/- 5 MPH at 50 MPH. Now whether that means within 10% across all speed ranges or what, I don't know. But also leads to why you typically won't get pulled over on a US highway if going 5 over the posted speed limit.
A 10% speedometer accuracy mandate sounds probable. Up until the NC700X, all my past motorcycle speedometers were wildly optimistic. The only motorcycle speedometer from long ago that was dead on right was on a 1982 Suzuki, and it had the mandated 85 mph speedometer with 55 highlighted.

In the US a vehicle's speedometer has to be accurate to within 3% +/-, so I would lean more towards the GPS being off than the speedometer assuming no modifications were made that could affect the accuracy of the speedometer. While a 10 year old motorcycle could be off of that since it most likely has never been recalibrated, a new one will definitely meet that requirement. What affects the accuracy of the speedometer depends on where it is pulling the speed from, but can basically narrowed down to the size of the sprockets and/or rear wheel. Meanwhile, a lot of things can affect the accuracy of GPS. The only real way to tell if it is accurate is to take it to a calibration site or ride past one of those roadside radar signs and compare.

On a different note, how much do you and your wife plan on riding off-road/to your cabin? Reason I ask is she might be better suited on a lighter bike until she gains more experience. Now if this is going to be a once in a blue moon trip then I can understand not wanting to purchase a bike for just this trip in mind, but if it is going to be more of a regular thing I would recommend rethinking the NC route. Reason being is that while the bike doesn't feel heavy, it is and new riders tend to tense up and try to fight the bike when riding in
Plans are on hold. My sweet wife of over 40 years is in treatment for Leukemia, newly diagnosed.
She had wished for Africa Twin, I suggested NC750 and she was totally sold.
Now we just wish for a few more years together somehow.

Plans are on hold. My sweet wife of over 40 years is in treatment for Leukemia, newly diagnosed.
So sorry to hear this...cancer sucks...

Nothing else matters now - wish both of you the best in the days ahead.

Nothing else matters now - wish both of you the best in the days ahead.
Relatively good news. She is surviving Chemo. Three weeks of hospitalization so far and more to go with no visitors, but it is looking like we will be able to see each other again. She is tough. She rode her bicycle with me to Alaska in 1978. Did I say she is tough? She is also the most beautiful woman in the world. If she gets a good period of remission from Leukemia, who knows? She may want that new NC750 after all.

More good news. Actually GREAT news.
My wife is in full remission from her cancer and is looking forward to a long life with new appreciation for all that living life to the fullest has to offer.
She has put down a deposit for a 2021 NC750x and is looking forward to her red 2021 to arrive in late May, just in time for her projected full-energy recovery from Leukemia treatment. She is of Medicare age but does not look it. Most likely her fitness level helped her in her cancer treatment recovery.
She originally hoped for a White NC750, but she says life is too short to wait until Honda makes the white ones available in the US. She will take the red 2021 NC750x and possibly add some aftermarket decal-based pinstripe white and blue streaks to make it look like a one of a kind 2021 "mini baby Africa Twin". :)
Did I say my wife is tough? She is, and she also has a flair for fashion.

Fake Baby Africa Twin 2021 NC750X-US.jpg

Last edited:
Back to tires.
Since my wife is going ahead with her order of a 2021 NC750X, she will ride OEM tires until we head off to mud country. Being optimistic about her cancer recovery we pre-purchased a TKC80 front and a TKC70 Rocks rear (between TKC80 and TKC70). The Continental tires will be great for highway to get us to our muddy roads.
My VStrom has TKC80 front and Motoz Tractionator GPS rear.
mudtrack

In the US a vehicle's speedometer has to be accurate to within 3% +/-, so I would lean more towards the GPS being off than the speedometer assuming no modifications were made that could affect the accuracy of the speedometer. While a 10 year old motorcycle could be off of that since it most likely has never been recalibrated, a new one will definitely meet that requirement. What affects the accuracy of the speedometer depends on where it is pulling the speed from, but can basically narrowed down to the size of the sprockets and/or rear wheel. Meanwhile, a lot of things can affect the accuracy of GPS. The only real way to tell if it is accurate is to take it to a calibration site or ride past one of those roadside radar signs and compare.

On a different note, how much do you and your wife plan on riding off-road/to your cabin? Reason I ask is she might be better suited on a lighter bike until she gains more experience. Now if this is going to be a once in a blue moon trip then I can understand not wanting to purchase a bike for just this trip in mind, but if it is going to be more of a regular thing I would recommend rethinking the NC route. Reason being is that while the bike doesn't feel heavy, it is and new riders tend to tense up and try to fight the bike when riding in
Regarding how much we ride to get to our cabin in the mud:
We ride 150 freeway miles to get to mud zone. She also rides highway around home as a commuter and really wants a DCT. Her Burgman 400, at 490 lbs with fuel and oil, is nearly the same weight as a NC750X.
She feels that the 2021 NC750X would be best.

Last edited:
Regarding how much we ride to get to our cabin in the mud:
We ride 150 freeway miles to get to mud zone. She also rides highway around home as a commuter and really wants a DCT. Her Burgman 400, at 490 lbs with fuel and oil, is nearly the same weight as a NC750X.
She feels that the 2021 NC750X would be best.
Hope things are going well for you and your bride!! Looking forward to pictures of you two splashing thru the mud!!

Hope things are going well for you and your bride!! Looking forward to pictures of you two splashing thru the mud!!
My sweetheart has to endure an extra month of her Chemotherapy regimen in June before she can feel needle free. First there was a one-month chemo stay in hospital in February, followed by what will turn out to be 4 cycles of 3 weeks at home then a week in hospital. Her final hospital cycle is now early July, followed by permanent remission from Leukemia. She is eagerly waiting for her NC750X to be delivered to the dealer. She asks that I don't put more than 200 to 300 miles on her bike before she finally takes command. By the time we ride distance together, our favorite mud road may be dried up into a chunky thing that OEM tires may be just fine to deal with. HOWEVER - there is the September and October rains that will bring back our sloppy mud. My sweet lady will be ready for the road, be it pavement or dried mud or sloppy to the chain crud. Hopefully we will mount her TKC-80 before the return of the mud. She will be ready. She's my girl. Her new red bike may get muddy from time to time.

My sweetheart has to endure an extra month of her Chemotherapy regimen in June before she can feel needle free. First there was a one-month chemo stay in hospital in February, followed by what will turn out to be 4 cycles of 3 weeks at home then a week in hospital. Her final hospital cycle is now early July, followed by permanent remission from Leukemia. She is eagerly waiting for her NC750X to be delivered to the dealer. She asks that I don't put more than 200 to 300 miles on her bike before she finally takes command. By the time we ride distance together, our favorite mud road may be dried up into a chunky thing that OEM tires may be just fine to deal with. HOWEVER - there is the September and October rains that will bring back our sloppy mud. My sweet lady will be ready for the road, be it pavement or dried mud or sloppy to the chain crud. Hopefully we will mount her TKC-80 before the return of the mud. She will be ready. She's my girl. Her new red bike may get muddy from time to time.
Quite an ordeal but it's great she is on the upswing!!

I guess there is something about surviving cancer that makes a person want to ride a motorcycle.
Thank you for the inspirational story! I hope all is well for you. My wife and I are slowly recovering from a recent tragic loss. I completely lost interest in riding and came close to selling my ride. Then realized how much I need it. My wife stopped riding years ago and I'm not sure if she'll ever own her own bike again. But I recently purchased a second bike, an NC700X for us both to explore some of the more 'off the beaten path' areas. My hopes are that soon she'll want to pilot the bike, and we can ride together on separate bikes again. If not, that's okay. As long as she's happy riding with me is all that counts.
I know you said surviving cancer will make you want to ride. In my case, it's surviving a horrible tragedy. I believe we are on the same page.
Many blessings....

My dear wife is 22 months cancer free. Since her Leukemia recovery she has a newly found fear of death, so much so that she envisioned a crash on her bike during a ride. Guess what, several months ago she overshot a low speed start with a turn and went down on the gravel shoulder and sprained her ankle, messing up her NC750X. Ankle healed. Insurance covered bike repairs. Badly twisted fork which the shop fixed 95%. I finally tuned the twist 100% perfect.

OK, finally we will mount that TKC70 Rocks rear, TKC80 front for our mud road. She stills fears death, but she wants to keep riding. Low miles on her bike but she is getting back on the horse.

Very happy to hear about your wife's progress!!!! Keep your fingers crossed and a prayer or two won't hurt!

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but my wife had a sudden heart attack and neither I nor the paramedics could bring her back. She was alive a 1700 and I found her with no pulse 2 hours later. I did CPR for 20 minutes waiting for them to arrive and they did their best but she was gone. One consolation was she went quick and I believe she did not suffer....may we all go that way.

Looking forward to bike riding season and a trip over Bear Tooth Pass as soon as the snow is gone. I just ordered a Burgman 400 with all the bells whatever else yo call them. I can still get on the NC and My Bandit (Harley is no sweat) but the ortho doc says I have a hip that needs some updating. He actually said "bringing it in this century". It may or may not come this Summer but if it does I'm doing the rest of Rt 66 (Kingman to the water)...that's all I have left. I did route 50 coast to coast on my Harley.

My best to your wife and may she enjoy those new tires!!

Very happy to hear about your wife's progress!!!! Keep your fingers crossed and a prayer or two won't hurt!

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but my wife had a sudden heart attack and neither I nor the paramedics could bring her back. She was alive a 1700 and I found her with no pulse 2 hours later. I did CPR for 20 minutes waiting for them to arrive and they did their best but she was gone. One consolation was she went quick and I believe she did not suffer....may we all go that way.

Looking forward to bike riding season and a trip over Bear Tooth Pass as soon as the snow is gone. I just ordered a Burgman 400 with all the bells whatever else yo call them. I can still get on the NC and My Bandit (Harley is no sweat) but the ortho doc says I have a hip that needs some updating. He actually said "bringing it in this century". It may or may not come this Summer but if it does I'm doing the rest of Rt 66 (Kingman to the water)...that's all I have left. I did route 50 coast to coast on my Harley.

My best to your wife and may she enjoy those new tires!!
My God, my heart aches for you.
What a tragedy.
You have a remarkable survival instinct.
Ride on, do not fear death.
It comes on its own time.
Our job is to make the most of our time.

My God, my heart aches for you.
What a tragedy.
You have a remarkable survival instinct.
Ride on, do not fear death.
It comes on its own time.
Our job is to make the most of our time.
Thanks Mud!! I developed that desire to live after the first time I was shot...has worked ever since. Keep your wife safe and lead her to having the most she can have out of life...it's a great thing.

Back