• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

advice about Deal's Gap trip

GunNut37086

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never ridden the Tail of the Dragon. Unfortunately, I was at the NRA Convention the weekend that the group on this forum went. None of my good-for-nothing friends have bikes, so I'll probably be going alone.

My route there would get me there in just over 5 hours. And my route home would be just under 5 hours. My plan was to leave home around 7:00 am and be home around 7:30 pm. That would leave time to make a few stops here and there and more importantly grab lunch and a reasonable break at Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort before I go up against the dragon. I've never ridden longer than 3 or 4 hours in a row before.

Is this too many miles in a day?
Am I crazy for thinking I can pull this off?
Am I going to enjoy the trip if I rush it like this?
Most importantly, is it safe to run that road after a 5 hour ride and a short break?

Good for you, having saved the Dragon thus far. It is definitely worth the 5hour+ trip for a 'first timer'.
I've had the chance to ride it for the second time at the past NC gathering and rode it with 670cc leading.

IMO, you should not ride it in a state anything other than your peak condition.
Everybody's riding style varies, but you will get the most enjoyment with all your faculties in top condition.

My advice on running the dragon is do it on weekday if possible. There is sometimes a lot of traffic (read that, sport riders) on the weekend. Only you can determine if you want to do it after you are there.
Personally, I would just do it. You can go balls to the wall or enjoy. I'm in the enjoy group.
A 12 hour day is pushing a bit if the longest you've ever done is 4.
Take breaks before you HAVE to.
Above all, stay hydrated. If you wait until you're thirsty, you've waited too long.
I have a 2L water bladder I constantly sip on.

I would not ride the dragon on a weekend. Too much traffic. And a lot of law enforcement. Be sure to watch the speed limit (30 and 45, I believe).

Watch some YouTube videos, and the killboy photos. You'll see lots of crazy stuff - trucks taking up both lanes, cars & motorcycles running wide in the turns, double yellow passes.

I've ridden it once, and I'm glad I did, but I probably wouldn't do it again unless early in the morning on a weekday. Just too many crazies.

If you do ride it, watch for the Killboy photographer, there's at least one other guy that takes photos there too. Then you can look on their site later and purchase a photo of yourself leaned over in a curve. Kind of neat.

Yes, "watch" for the photographers, but totally ignore them as you ride by. Taking your eyes off the road for a second can really mess up your line in the curve. Stay focused. If it's a busy day you will usually pass four or five photographers.

It's not a race. Go at your own pace. If a crazed rider/driver gets behind you, take one of the pull offs and let them by.

The Tail is just one of a hundred great roads in the area. Since you're already in Tenessee, you might have just as much or more fun on your trip to and fro.

Your avatar says you are from middle Tennesseee. I don't know which route you chose, perhaps over the Cherohala Skyway in one direction of the other. But, when I come from the northwest, the only reasonably direct way to Deals Gap is on the Tail of the Dragon, and the only direct way back is also on the Dragon.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I've never ridden the Tail of the Dragon. Unfortunately, I was at the NRA Convention the weekend that the group on this forum went. None of my good-for-nothing friends have bikes, so I'll probably be going alone.

My route there would get me there in just over 5 hours. And my route home would be just under 5 hours. My plan was to leave home around 7:00 am and be home around 7:30 pm. That would leave time to make a few stops here and there and more importantly grab lunch and a reasonable break at Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort before I go up against the dragon. I've never ridden longer than 3 or 4 hours in a row before.

Is this too many miles in a day?
Am I crazy for thinking I can pull this off?
Am I going to enjoy the trip if I rush it like this?
Most importantly, is it safe to run that road after a 5 hour ride and a short break?

I've been there three times on three different bikes, and I live in Houston...I rode 1000 miles on a superhawk to go to Deals Gap. You can do it. The worst part will be the 5-hour ride home after riding all day. You'll be better off if you spend the night somewhere after you go play on the Dragon. Start fresh on the ride home.

Also, don't let someone push you faster than you want to go. If you go on a weekend in the summer, that will probably happen.

If you got time go over to Maggie Valley, also. See Wheels Threw time. A few weeks ago video.

[video=youtube;eRR2OsDB5lI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRR2OsDB5lI[/video]

It takes me 6 hours on the Interstate to get to Deals Gap; no big deal for me. After the 'return to the dragon' meet, I took the slow way home and it took 9.5 hours with only 2 quick gas and go (and relieve the bladder) stops. Only you know your limitations when riding on the bike. The Dragon on the weekend is slowwwwww...with all the traffic, but when I went to the meet on Thursday, I had southbound Dragon all to myself and rode it at my pace (and no cops).

I started riding last september for the first time ever (i'm in my 50s). I rode the Dragon last month for the first time. My brother and I rode most of the day getting there (went through Little Switzerland, the Diamondback, and Blue Ridge) about 4 pm on a Wednesday. Still had a few hours of sunlight left, and the weather for Thursday was forecast to be not good, so we decided to take a few runs on the Dragon. It wasn't a problem -- I will say I took it very easy having never ridden Dragon and it being late on full day of riding. This was mainly wanted to understand the road before we came back the next morning for our "serious" runs.

As has been said here, and many other places, you have to ride your ride. As a newbie, I just took my time and let my brother (a long time rider) do his thing (i.e., I didn't see him after the first 30 seconds). Being Wednesday, there was no traffic. You definitely want this. We rode it again Friday morning, but by 10:30am it was getting crowded so we left.

I would not want to ride the Dragon on a weekend ... the number of bikes, cars, and other assorted vehicles (dump trucks, moving trucks, RVs) would make it uncomfortable and not terribly enjoyable. This is a state road so you get everything on it ... it has no side roads so that's one of the main attractions (nobody pulling out in front of you). But you can definitely come around a turn and see somebody coming the other way crossing the double yellow lines. If that someone is a dump truck, it's a bit unnerving.

I will say that despite the number of knee-draggers and me being a newbie, I did not feel pressured by the other riders (at least during the mid-week ride). I did use the pull-out to let a group of guys by, but mostly they kept their distance. Saw one sheriff on Wednesday that pulled over a Ducati.

At the posted speed limit (35 most of the way), you can have a great ride, work your riding skills, hitting the apex, etc., and have plenty of challenge. I don't think I took the NC out of 2nd gear most of the way so I could use engine braking 99% of the time (I don't think I hit the brakes more than twice on any run).

The "Disneyland" photographers can be a distraction (both by making you fixate on them and by creating the urge to show off a bit), but you really do need to keep looking through your turn ... there are no guard rails and some of the drops are pretty damned far down. My avatar is one of those photos.

My $0.02 (pretax)

If I remember correctly the speed limit is 30 mph. Vehicles over 30 feet in length are not allowed. The road is a US highway, US 129.

If I remember correctly the speed limit is 30 mph. Vehicles over 30 feet in length are not allowed. The road is a US highway, US 129.

Yea there are some signs to limit trucks, but the signs are often ignored by them.

d808183ab9c6a54feec814869c5363c2.jpg

You aren't even safe from other motorcycles.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Since I live about an hour or so from the Dragon, I'd give you this advice. You know your limitations or you should. I don't know where you live and what kind of roads you've been riding. The Dragon is full of curves, quite a number hairpin and uphill or downhill. Knowing that you should be in a power gear is important as the curves are tight and downshifting in or shortly after the curve is dangerous. If you get below your power curve you won't have time to make it up. No intentions is scaring you, just fact from someone that's ridden it many times. Riding these narrow curvy mountain roads is nothing like riding in the hills. There's no forgiveness as a mountain of rock is on one side and a long way to the bottom is on the other with lots of trees to bang against going down. I have ridden long hours and some of those were in the mountains. If you're not use to riding long hours you will be tired and riding the Dragon tired can cause you to be just slow enough to get into trouble. That's my opinion. If you're going to ride it, do so Mon., Tues, Wednesday as on the weekends and now it's tourist season, there will be way too many riders for you on the weekends and they will squeeze you and pass you when they shouldn't. Speed limit on the Dragon on the Tenn. side is 30pmh. Not every one follows that. They now have sport cars and rail/dune buggies trying to do the same thing the rice rocketeers do, set a new land speed record. It is two way traffic and not every one stays in their lane. I'd ride down, spend the night, get up early and ride the Dragon and then ride home or ride the Dragon several times, spend the night and ride home. But riding 5 hours, riding the Dragon twice and riding 5 hours again will definitely try you. As said earlier, only you know your limitations. The Dragon is not a place to find out.

Dang, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the input/advice.

I was going to go in the morning, but I've decided to hold off a week and half. Going on a weekday makes the most sense. Plus that gives me longer to plan. I may just tote my hammock with me and stay the night.

You'll be better off if you spend the night somewhere after you go play on the Dragon. Start fresh on the ride home.

Also, don't let someone push you faster than you want to go. If you go on a weekend in the summer, that will probably happen.
Plus 1 on spending the night. Throw a cheap tent on your seat and stay at one of the plentiful inexpensive motorcycle camping resorts in the area. Get the tent up, go run the Dragon before dinner, and then again in the morning after breakfast. Be sure to make a note of the time you ran the Dragon, easier to find your photos taken by the photographers then. Enjoy!

Ray

Sound advice all...stay with MO at Kickstand motorcycle lodge. Cabins or tent camp
She also has a bunkhouse. The ride over to deals gap on 28 will warm you up.

The Cherohala is fun and very scenic ... except when I hit snow there on May 5th (I posted pics in another thread). That was, as we say, "sporty."

The actual Dragon portion of US 129 (Federal Road) is 30mph and trailer length can't be over 30 ft. so most trucks are off there. So GregC you were smart to ride it at your speed. A lot of times on the weekends each pull out can contain a LEO. Mostly on the TN side because that's the side with most of the Dragon. And they don't mind writing you a ticket.

Back