• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Advice for a noob going coast to coast and back?

I use "TomTom GO" because it loads the map for the entire US when you install it.
It runs on an old cell phone that can't make calls. Live traffic is $20 a year.

I use CoPilot GPS phone app for when I don't have signal, it's free and works well, you download region your planning on going through before hand and it has paid upgrade options you can look into if your interested.
That works for the GPS but I'd agree with those that were recommending
SPOT or some such for safety reasons.
Others have already said any advice or recommendations I could think of so it's just like to say, stick with your conditioning exercises, good luck and enjoy.

P.s. As others have said, post your planned route and share your progress on your travels (there's multiple ways) it'll help safety wise and others on here my be able to help make your travels more fun

Cost is relative for sure. Last year when I was underemployed then out of work altogether every dime was watched and accounted for. Having said that Garmin had a $100 off sale last month and I bought a new 396LMS-T for $299. It supplants a nearly 10 year old Garmin 550 that still works great. I left the 550 on the NC and the 396 went on the Goldwing. The way I use a GPS a phone app like Rever or Scenic is a lot of work for less functionality on the fly. I have friends and family that upgraded to every iPhone version that has come along. With the money I saved on phones I come out ahead buying a GPS now and then that gets the job I need done, rain or shine, with cell coverage or without. It won't be that way for everyone.

I’ve been comparing gps vs cell phone navigation in my car for several years, checking one against the other on trips quite frequently. Frankly I strongly prefer my Garmin Nuvi over my iPhone. There are rare occasions where cell phone navigation wins out, but they are more than made up for when cell phone reception fails. And this is in relatively well populated New England. I’m definitely not relying on my cell phone for navigation on this trip. It’s also why I’m getting a tank bag. My Garmin can sit in the clear plastic window and avoid the rain, since it’s not weatherproof.

#1 comfort
#2 safety

so overshoes/spats to go over your footwear, quality rainwear, rain gloves. being dry is important on rainy days
layers.. early am is generally cool & take it off as the day warms up
seat must be good for 2 hours, or you need padding. take breaks every 1-2 hours to walk around for 5 min
I do 500 -600 mile days often. But its so nice to get off the road by 6pm and have a nice meal. Go at your own pace, and stop to see the sights.
on hot days hydration!! drink water or gatorade, or?? ... often. you will dry out really fast and not realize it.
throttle lock or throttle rocker.

visibility - neon green shell. Brake light modulator, remember everyone is trying to kill you lol. GPS, cell phone, AAA membership.

Most of all, have fun and dont sweat the details. Having a list of Honda dealers for the country along your planned route is a good idea, but doubt you will need it.
Check your oil daily. You can pick stuff up along the way if you find you need something, so pack light.

Mainly just do it. Dont listen to the naysayers ... they mean well, but you can certainly do it. I'm 65 and did a 6000km ride last year.

Last edited:
Back