• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Africa Twin Crash Bar Conundrum, Can you folks help?

CRStep

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been trying to figure out what crash bars I should get for my new AT, reading all the threads on other forums, looking for reviews, checking all sorts of third party manufacturers, and my eyes are swimming. I am no closer to a decision, and while the bike in question is not an NC, I am hoping that as most of you are experienced motorcyclists and perennially helpful, perhaps fresh eyes can point something out that I may have overlooked. I have narrowed it down to these options:

Altrider ($687), will not be released until early April. These have a lot of hype (and marketing that criticizes the competition). They have been delayed continuously so who knows if they will even be released by April. The red is really pretty, though.
installed-altrider-crash-bar-system-for-the-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-red-3.jpg

Givi ($278 from motostorm), similar configuration, typical givi confusing installation instructions and somewhat difficult to line up when tightening.
givi_tnh1144.jpg

Rockfox ($559), made in South Africa, similar upper and lower configuration. Look beefy but haven't seen any quality reports.
rockfox.jpg

Outback Motortek ($400), one piece middle configuration type bar, easier to install, seems to be popular. There is a dct version with an extra bar over the DCT side.
outback.jpg

SW Motech ($240), I loved the SW Motech bars on my NC (I proved they work!), but I am not convinced by this design. It is another mid height style bar. Sorry for the small picture.
swmotech_crash_bars_honda_africa_twin_crf1000_l2016_detail.jpg

I know I am asking a lot of you guys to look at my choices. Even a gut reaction is appreciated. I removed hepco becker and touratech from my consideration from previous crash reports and such. Thank you in advance for any insight. I would not ask if I hadn't already spent days trying to decide.

My first inclination was the altrider. It looks beefy and looks like it'll do some protecting when needed. But dang, that's pricey. If it was my bike, I'd go with givi. Good price, looks good and decent protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Givi engine guards. The thickness of the pipes is a bit thicker than some on the market. Also, you want 1" pipe if you plan on putting highway pegs on your bike. The coverage of the Givi covers the entire front end. Also, you can remove the fairing with the Givi bars in place. This you will need to do to add accessories. Attached are some pictures, but I will add all the accessories pictures that have been added this week.

Queenie4.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Thank you for your input! The money saved with motostorm is looking more appealing with your pictures in particular, OCR!

I went with the original Honda (so-called) light bars. My thinking was that Honda had them designed for their motorcycle so there is some logic to the suggestion that they will be well designed. I also like that they are a one piece item with no joints that could constitute a weak point in a fall. They are rubber mounted and while I am curious about that I assume it is because there is less risk to breakage of the mounting points in a fall. Reviews of them being used in offroad schools and the like are good. To remove the fairing panels one only has to undo the two top mounting bolts and hinge down the bar. Very easy compared to some. They are expensive though.

The most vulnerable point of the motor is the alternator cover on the left side. I am currently awaiting a Buono bash plate which offers some cover to that. Otherwise I will not be adding any more protection as some products are just too complex imho, and look almost like scaffolding on the bike.

I have also added a set of Givi pannier mounts to the rear. These offer some protection to the silencer, and with my usual small panniers on board will also tend to keep the rear of the bike off the road in a fall. My use will be mostly rough backroads and otherwise light offroad duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CR

The ADV forum lists many inputs from each owner as to the merits of each brand, which did not
help at all because of the differing riding styles of an unknown individual, all with bias.
Ultimately you make your choice and make it work based on the kind of riding you want to pursue.
They all work well and unless someone has tried them all,
should not post one preference over another.

I went with Outback Mototek combination bar and plate.
Several drops on both sides and they prove to be very robust.
The main deficiency is the bending of the pipes inward after a fall.
The repeated bending of aluminum piping causes failure.
I don't think I can drop the bike hard enough to bend these nor the skid plate;
and if I do, I would not care at all what happened to the bike; I'd have many other, more
important parts to care about :p

That's precisely the difficulty. The early posts are not as helpful because fewer products were available. Later, many people feel strongly about their choices, but with very few actual real world anecdotes from dropping their bikes. With so many products that are probably fine, but with a very large range of prices, it can be difficult to figure out what a good choice would be. At least with the NC, the products were similar enough that a solution presented itself quickly.

DCTFAN, did you have any issues with front wheel clearance at full compression with the OM combo?

I went with the original Honda (so-called) light bars. My thinking was that Honda had them designed for their motorcycle so there is some logic to the suggestion that they will be well designed. I also like that they are a one piece item with no joints that could constitute a weak point in a fall. They are rubber mounted and while I am curious about that I assume it is because there is less risk to breakage of the mounting points in a fall. Reviews of them being used in offroad schools and the like are good. To remove the fairing panels one only has to undo the two top mounting bolts and hinge down the bar. Very easy compared to some. They are expensive though.

The most vulnerable point of the motor is the alternator cover on the left side. I am currently awaiting a Buono bash plate which offers some cover to that. Otherwise I will not be adding any more protection as some products are just too complex imho, and look almost like scaffolding on the bike.

I have also added a set of Givi pannier mounts to the rear. These offer some protection to the silencer, and with my usual small panniers on board will also tend to keep the rear of the bike off the road in a fall. My use will be mostly rough backroads and otherwise light offroad duties.
One of the things I like about the Honda OEM solution is the light weight. Additionally, the outback bars are lighter weight in being more of a mid height product.

I appreciate everyone's well thought out and helpful input in this discussion!

That's precisely the difficulty. The early posts are not as helpful because fewer products were available. Later, many people feel strongly about their choices, but with very few actual real world anecdotes from dropping their bikes. With so many products that are probably fine, but with a very large range of prices, it can be difficult to figure out what a good choice would be. At least with the NC, the products were similar enough that a solution presented itself quickly.

DCTFAN, did you have any issues with front wheel clearance at full compression with the OM combo?

LOL!
Only a good launch/jump will compress the springs that much and no, have not even come close to full compression, but working on it.:rolleyes:
Adding a fender extender may cause the problem you are referring to even before full compression so, I'm not going to add any.

PS. one thing I wanted to note are the hand guards. OE will crack/break on first drop. I saved mine, along with the round badges, off they go. I've read others' report the same with the badges coming off and they are not cheap to replace.
I got BarkBusters and they got scratched up badly on both sides as they will always hit the ground, but no bends
or other problems.

Your next conundrum will be how to replace the 'frunk' we all loved on the NCX.
I have not found a solution yet, so just use the OEM top case.

Last edited:
The combination of the Givi Africa Twin tank bag and the Bumont tool box more than made up for the frunk space.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

I use that Africa Twin as an adventure bike so fog lights, highway pegs, electric clothing outlet, and two extra 12 volt plugs are a must. I used the Electric Beaver PC-8 box for the wiring, as it comes with six switchable and two non switchable fuse outlets.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

All pictures taken with a Korean ROK camera !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Those pictures are extremely helpful, thank you! I'm tempted to attempt the electrical accessory installations by myself, as from what I understand the dealer labor charges are quite pricey.

Order all your electronic parts for the Africa Twin from Eastern Beaver. He makes the parts exact for the Africa Twin as that is what he rides. His instructions are fairly easy to follow. If folks would ask him, I am sure he can make plug and play parts for the NC7 also. I like the fact he prewires 6 on/off with key in the circuit box and 2 non switchable.

Honda CRF1000L

For bikes other than Africa Twin: Main

CRStep pictures of the clamps I used on the Belmont tool box. Perfect fit on Givi mono lock racks.

IMG_0100.jpg

Last edited:
Order all you electronic parts for the Africa Twin from Eastern Beaver. He makes the parts exact for the Africa Twin as that is what he rides. His instructions are fairly easy to follow. If folks would ask him, I am sure he can make plug and play parts for the NC7 also. I like the fact he prewires 6 on/off with key in the circuit box and 2 non switchable.

Honda CRF1000L

CRStep pictures of the clamps I used on the Belmont tool box. Perfect fit on Givi mono lock racks.

View attachment 32308

Perfect, thank you!

I'm feeling a little woozy, I hope it's not AT fever! I'm gunna take a Tylenol and have a nap...

CR, , , I have the Touratech upper & lower bars on my AT-DCT & I like them!! They are Stainless Steel & seem to offer protection in all the right places!! I've not installed an aftermarket Skid Plate yet but will sign!!

IMG_4148.jpg

One thing to consider is the ability to change the DCT Filter without removing the guards!! The TT bars are very well made, install easily & are easy to remove & reinstall when working on the bike!! TT also makes he Stainless bars in (Power Coated) Black!!

I wouldn't dismiss the TT bars!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back