• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Africa Twin Crash Bar Conundrum, Can you folks help?

Dibs on your Tenere!

Pretty sure it'll have 100,000 miles on it before I pay it off. In a year and ten months I've put 28,000 miles on it. You can pick up the Tenere for a song these days. They are kind of like the NC in that they are underrated. A true workhorse! Cycle Trader has some good deals if you don't mind used.

BUMOT Defender Toolbox - CRF1000L Africa Twin

https://www.advmotorrad.com/bumot-defender-toolbox-crf1000l-africa-twin

I do know that it fits the Givi Monolock racks, the Knappa Monolock racks, Bumont racks very nicely. The racks are so much alike between the Africa Twin and the NC700, I would make a guess that it would fit both. That is only a guess, as I have not taken measurements.

Last edited:
BUMOT Defender Toolbox - CRF1000L Africa Twin

https://www.advmotorrad.com/bumot-defender-toolbox-crf1000l-africa-twin

I do know that it fits the Givi Monolock racks, the Knappa Monolock racks, Bumont racks very nicely. The racks are so much alike between the Africa Twin and the NC700, I would make a guess that it would fit both. That is only a guess, as I have not taken measurements.
I always wondered if the rear wheel compresses, can the chain guard clear the tool box?
Depending on how far the racks stick out, this may be a problem?

The Bumot Toolbox was designed for the Africa Twin. Everything clears quite well, with room to spare. The toolbox has about the same clearance as the exhaust pipe.

Last edited:
I always wondered if the rear wheel compresses, can the chain guard clear the tool box?
Depending on how far the racks stick out, this may be a problem?
There is plenty of clearance there, I don't think it will be a problem.

Advmotorrad will ask you if you have bumot racks, saying they don't work on anything else. They are, of course, the exclusive US distributor.

As much a DCTFAN has been compressing his socks lately, I believe he is trying to catch up with me in the number of drops. Now DROPS, I am a pro at!!!!!!!!! Heck, I believe I started "The School of Hard DROPS". Now that I think about it, I have dropped my bike in all 50 states (Saddle Road, Hawaii in the 1967 with wife on back and no pavement), and a number of times in Mexico and Canada.

Last edited:
I dropped her 4x yesterday and tried Enduro stuff
I know I'll never catch up with OCR,
But I know I beat him on the AT.

51d540b274dbf6941eccee8d84f09aa6.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I could drop it that much easily ; } -- nice to see people actually using these in such conditions and not just gravel roads : }

I stood on my pegs for a half hour yesterday, and a total of 400 miles. In the two months of riding again I now have put 4000 miles on the AT. Knees are really sore this morning, after yesterday. Sure I will once again be going down once I get to return to the Sam Houston National Forest. Those narrow sandy trails takes you where the trail wants to to go. I know that I am suppose to steer with my pegs, but to often old street habits cause me to turn the handlebars. Face it, us folks with 500 + pound bikes really do not belong on the trails. But, until posted I will be there! My wife says they need to post "No old farts over 70 on the trails".

Last edited:
I have some catching up to do! I haven't had as much time to ride lately, and I need to get the 600 mile service done today before going out tomorrow. DCTFAN, do you still like those crash bars?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have some catching up to do! I haven't had as much time to ride lately, and I need to get the 600 mile service done today before going out tomorrow. DCTFAN, do you still like those crash bars?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Hi CR,
The bars are holding up nicely.
I never try and save the bike; I know my bike is protected.
df951433e83cc5f1d8cfc649e2805d17.jpg

This was after I hopped the log.
Mud hole, lost grip, headed for a tree, not today, drop, yikes.
But this was a good day!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Barkbusters are OK, at best.
Since the LHS install, my parking brake light S/W is not working.
But as far as the protection, it is very good. Based only on soft impact on gravel/dirt.
The bars are quite solid. But the plastics seem to change or create airflow and I noticed
extra buffeting. When I was riding to CO last year, (before the plastic guards) I had not had the disturbance.
I only leave them on for cold weather riding. As soon as temps reach 60+, they are off leaving just the aluminum.

I could drop it that much easily ; } -- nice to see people actually using these in such conditions and not just gravel roads : }
I am finding it takes hard work to practice riding in different terrain.
I found out what may be required to ride some of the better passes in CO and UT.
But the scenery is the reward, as you so adequately shown us.
My motivation to get enough skills and ride some more this year, with less laundry; LOL

I am finding it takes hard work to practice riding in different terrain.
You took a class, no? -- which I'm sure really gave you some visual clues of what some riders can pull off, and some confidence, and results building toward chops that a lot of heavier-machines guys never get. For that matter, a class could probably help me with the lighter dualsports : }

I found out what may be required to ride some of the better passes in CO and UT.
For me, seeing pics and talk from those trips bamamate and Doctor Zed did was a good intro, among others.

But the scenery is the reward, as you so adequately shown us.
It's great to see things and appreciate them, and still greater if the ride to and from them gives you a real charge too! I can only go on so many rides to be riding, without some interesting stuff to see most of the time. Especially when solo. If it was practical for me I'd like being a cultural tourist for that matter : }

My motivation to get enough skills and ride some more this year, with less laundry; LOL
Less baggage and less draggage! One thing I admire about a lot of the minimalist touring guys on 250s and smaller is they learn what to bring and what to leave behind, and keep it slim.

Barkbusters are OK, at best.
Since the LHS install, my parking brake light S/W is not working.But as far as the protection, it is very good. Based only on soft impact on gravel/dirt

The small switch is under the lever of the parking brake. It is easy to destroy when putting on the special part for the Barbusters that must be installed for the DCT. I know, as I broke mine. Only cost around $10 for a new switch from Honda. When installing the new switch, losen the purch screws and turn the purch and the lever upside down. Install the new switch, then twist the parking brake back around stright and tighten. Even though Barkbuster shows a picture of the DCT special part, they should have told us to turn the purch and lever upside down when installing.

Last edited:
Back