• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Africa Twin park brake handle on NC DCT? Anybody??

CapeMan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I may need to haul my NC750X DCT in a pickup bed but am concerned about unloading. Trying to roll backwards down a steep loading ramp with only a front brake for control looks pretty sketchy to me.

In times past, I've hauled and unloaded enduro's and the like and controlled the rear wheel during roll-down on the loading ramp by using the clutch with the engine stopped but in gear. Alas, the parking brake on the DCT is not a substitute for this (a masterful understatement!)

There's been a few earlier posts about folks that have added a left-hand hydraulic brake lever for rear braking. That might work but seems way more complicated than I need to just slow the bike's descent a bit.

A quick look at an Africa Twin DCT's parking brake handle got me to wondering if one could be used to replace the NC's brake handle and allow a bit of finer finger-grip control during ramp roll-down. Has anybody tried this? Any other words of wisdom?

I regularly load my 2013 manual tranny NC700x in the bed of my 4wd F150, and rarely require more than the front brake to control it when unloading. It helps, of course,to have a long ramp ( mine is 8’ long), and, when possible, to find a hill to load it down onto.
iIt would no doubt be easier to load it onto a lower bed too.
When I picked up the NC, I used a Uhaul trailer , specifically made for bikes, it cost about $15/ day, which is another possibility. Yes, it was worth it for the convenience!
I’m currently looking for a trailer in my area, to haul building materials and my bikes . ( I have an ST1300 too).

I regularly load my 2013 manual tranny NC700x in the bed of my 4wd F150, and rarely require more than the front brake to control it when unloading. It helps, of course,to have a long ramp ( mine is 8’ long), and, when possible, to find a hill to load it down onto.
iIt would no doubt be easier to load it onto a lower bed too.
When I picked up the NC, I used a Uhaul trailer , specifically made for bikes, it cost about $15/ day, which is another possibility. Yes, it was worth it for the convenience!
I’m currently looking for a trailer in my area, to haul building materials and my bikes . ( I have an ST1300 too).

Yep, a trailer is a good alternative and I bought one just to be able to load and unload my NC750X DCT without drama. It works fine because of the low load height.

But for a variety of specific reasons, I'm anticipating situation where a trailer would be a huge inconvenience. It would work but truck bed hauling would be way superior, if I can get to work. I can't always count on being able to load or unload with hill or ditch in my favor and I've also found that the front wheel brake alone won't hold on a steep ramp - it just slides. Not good. Being able brake the rear wheel, where all the weight is concentrated, would go a long way to improving that situation. Maybe I'll be able to work it out.

But I've also had another thought. I might be able to hook up a cheap 12V Harbor Freight winch (around $60 or so) with a remote control that'll power both in and out. I'm gonna have to think about this a bit more but it looks like it might a perfect solution. I'll let ya all know.

How do you work the winch remote and steer the bike up the ramp?

I hate trailering, but it really comes in handy sometimes. Think I'd rather tow a small trailer than try and get my bike up into the bed of a pick-up

I've trucked my previous enduro bike more than a few times, usually with little or no drama. The NC weighs about half again as much and I'm thinking it could be a whole different kettle of fish.

Loading the enduro required me to have the engine running and manipulate the throttle and clutch on the way up. I'd pause halfway through to step up on a stool and tailgate so the ability to stop and hold the bike half way up the ramp was critical. Likewise coming down.

The remote has 2 buttons, "OUT" and "IN", which power in and out per the label. If not button is pressed, it just stays in position. Sounds about right to me. And if I can work the throttle and clutch while balancing a bike, I'm hoping a hand-held remote will be an even easier alternative. But I could be wrong.

Back