• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

African Twin Next Year?

The VFR 1200 is a good bike. I think people tend to compare it to other adventure bikes like the Africa Twin or the Super Tenere.
Actually it is a kind of midweight tourer, quite comparable to a Dyna, an FJR, or something like that. It has shaft drive, DCT, and plenty of power. 600 pounds sounds heavy compared to an Africa Twin or a Ninja 1000, but it is substantially less than a Dyna, ST1300, or a Connie 14.
I don't think Honda knows what to do with it and might see it as competition for their ST 1300.
I am not sure if they are still making them, though new ones are still for sale.
With cruise control and an update I think they could sell some.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. For Old Can Rider and Griff, how do you find the extra weight of the AT compared to the NC? What I really like about my NC is the low centre of gravity. I can turn the bike in tight circle and slow speed maneuvering is great. I use to have a Vstrom and always hated the top heavy feeling of the bike. I don't want to have the same experience with the AT. My ideal bike would have the low speed handling of the NC, the suspension of the AT with a touch more power than the NC.

You're all set for the AT next year, if those three criteria are most important to you.
I practice MotoGymkhana regularly with my AT.
Believe me, it is easier on the AT than the NC; not only
has the same low CG but tighter turning radius than the NC.
Minimum turning radius is 8.5' vs 9.9'
Below is a practice run taken by the S10 chase video:
[video=youtube;UORux-7Vuv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UORux-7Vuv4[/video]

I'll buy one when they do a mid-displacement version that's 100 pounds lighter ; }

If you really have to compare the CRF1000L to the NC700X-
The initial "bigger this heavier that" goes away quickly on the AT.
Now at my anniversary of the transition from NC to AT, I feel
better on the AT than I have ever felt on the NC.
It is a better tourer than the NC, especially loaded up with gear and 2-up.
Off tarmac, it gives you a much better ride than the NC (stock suspension)
it sounds braggadocious, but I don't think I ever could go back to the NC,
but a baby AT? Depends who Honda chooses as the daddy.

. . .but a baby AT? Depends who Honda chooses as the daddy.

The CRF1000L can be the daddy. Bikes like the T7 are too dirt oriented, while the NC700X is too street oriented. I think the CRF1000L is the right formula for Adventure. Seat comfort and wind management are there, while the suspension is good for dirt. For the baby version, keep it the same AT formula but downsize it. 500cc would be fine.

I'm in the "smaller-is-better" camp. In the true off-road world, I ride a small dirt bike that barely weighs over 200 pounds and probably doesn't even make 15 hp, but I'll never go back to anything much larger. The near effortless manuverability of a small bike outshines any shortage of power it might have.

Last edited:
I need to stay off the internet looking at motorcycles. Dude on adv rider has a sick 2016 manual w/low miles and hard panniers. He's asking ten and some change. It's the red one... which is strange, I'm not a red guy... ever... but that bike is sick and I want it.

Foolish ideas going through my mind right now.

Just got my AT on Tuesday, after hesitating for a big while and putting my NC to sell. Dealer was giving me much less for the NC than I expected, based on all the gear I added to it, and I still owe financing on it, so it was not really worth trading it in, so I kept it. Since I'm starting my travel plans to south america in July, the NC will remain in storage until I get back, some day :)

Now as far as comparing the bikes is concerned, I have to say I liked the NC a lot, and it showed real abilities in my US tour last year, but the AT is even better. The OEM windscreen is better than the NC's one was, but still getting a lot of wind (no real buffeting though) and I think I'll put a Madstad on it, as I did for the NC. Due to the price (totally worth the money, but still expensive) I'm not yet decided, but I'll have to do it soon since I'll be leaving mid July.

From what I read on the AT forum, the tires should do okay until I really hit bad roads in Mex or further south, but the plan may be to switch right before getting there, for Heidenau K60s probably.

Also adding SW-Motech crashbars and skid plate, Blockbuster handguards, Oxford heated grips, and a set of 3 TRAX cases. No other mod planned, the bike is perfect.

Riding the AT is of utmost pleasure. I love the handlebar's wider shape - hopefully perfectly adapted for some off-road. Balance is even better than the NC, despite a slightly heavier weight. When I leaned the NC just a bit at a stop I was feeling the bike wanting to drop to the floor. Haven't had that feeling with the AT. It actually feels LIGHTER, probably because of the gravity center being higher...

In any case, no regret at all. A big jump in price, but it also really feels like having much more potential, especially being 2-up on the bike. Perfect for my plans.

From what I read on the AT forum, the tires should do okay until I really hit bad roads in Mex or further south, but the plan may be to switch right before getting there, for Heidenau K60s probably..

Just be careful with the tyres. If the OEM's are Dunlop Trail Max then they are the worst OEM tyres I have ever experienced on a motorcycle. They were terrible for me in the wet and I parted with them only after 3500 miles because I believed a fall was imminent in the wet. One owner I know is on the verge of parting with the bike because the front end let go on a downhill hairpin in the Pyrenees in the dry. I am trying to convince him that it is not the 21 inch front wheel but the tyres alone that are responsible. I complained to Dunlop about them but they more or less disowned the problem advising me that the tyres were manufactured exclusively to Honda specs. I have Dunlops on my Explorer and they are excellent tyres on that.

Otherwise best of luck with your new bike.

I have no idea if Honda ever looks at these forums, but an Africa Twin touring model would be great.
Tubeless tires, maybe a smaller front tire, firmer front suspension, cruise control, bigger windshield.

Supposedly Honda is revising some of the touring models for 2018, though I heard the same thing about 2017. Goldwing, ST1300, VFR1200.

I have no idea if Honda ever looks at these forums, but an Africa Twin touring model would be great.
Tubeless tires, maybe a smaller front tire, firmer front suspension, cruise control, bigger windshield.

Isn't that the VFR1200X?
basically exactly what you are describing PLUS shaft drive!

VFR1200F would be the touring one but I think they either quit making those or don't sell them in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really have to compare the CRF1000L to the NC700X-
The initial "bigger this heavier that" goes away quickly on the AT.
Now at my anniversary of the transition from NC to AT, I feel
better on the AT than I have ever felt on the NC.
It is a better tourer than the NC, especially loaded up with gear and 2-up.
Off tarmac, it gives you a much better ride than the NC (stock suspension)
it sounds braggadocious, but I don't think I ever could go back to the NC,
but a baby AT? Depends who Honda chooses as the daddy.

NC rider here

The 1200 is comfortable and fast, but carries its weight high. Maybe Honda will redo it soon. It has changed little in quite some time. If it weighed 500 pounds it would be great.

I have a 2012 NC with DCT and a 2015 Super Tenere ES which has shaft drive, heated handgrips, handguards, cruise control, centerstand, a perfectly good factory windshield with four settings for height, a 12 Volt socket and a 250 mile range. All the foregoing come standard right off the showroom floor on this model bike. I have often fantasized about the Super Tenere as described above WITH a Honda DCT for a transmission. Perfection would be achieved. I sure wish that technology was part of Yamaha's corporate thinking. I tried out a 1200 VFR with DCT and I was predisposed to like it but it just seemed so doggoned Heavy and it sure is a stripped down bike. That particular bike is still sitting in the showroom over a year later with several price reductions and no takers.

I was shopping for a new bike since 2 years?

It was a strong battle between the AT (DCT) and the R1200 GS.

Despite being about 35% more expensive than the AT, I finally took the bullet and bought a brand new GSA this month. She came home yesterday.

AT DCT is very desirable and it has many lightweight advantages over the GS. But after riding the GS for a long test ride (2hrs or so), my mind was made up. It is quite surreal to sit in the center of the machine, and not feel the weight or the tallness. It just corners so well on roads.

The AT and other adventure bikes....they still give you the feeling that you are on a tall motorcross bike which is overweight and have many touring options bolted on. It seems a bit un-natural even.

The GS (liquid cooled) is quite another thing altogether.

Don't take my word for it. You have to try it out and see for yourself.

IMG_20171129_101352_HDR-annoynymised.jpg

Don't take my word for it. You have to try it out and see for yourself.

View attachment 35318

It's a personal thing. I test rode a new GSA and hated it. It was exactly the opposite for me. I wondered how they even sell them. It cornered like a wallowing pig (IMHO) , the transmission was "OK" at best and the riding position was nice, but I expected way more. I know a lot of people love them, but I could never see paying that much for a motorcycle, MAYBE a used one.. but IDK, just not the bike for me currently.

It's a personal thing. I test rode a new GSA and hated it. It was exactly the opposite for me. I wondered how they even sell them. It cornered like a wallowing pig (IMHO) , the transmission was "OK" at best and the riding position was nice, but I expected way more. I know a lot of people love them, but I could never see paying that much for a motorcycle, MAYBE a used one.. but IDK, just not the bike for me currently.

Of course. It's not everybody's cup of tea.
I had my initial fears too but soon it is "pure enjoyment" on the fly....
Very different to the NC or any regular dual-purpose bike (as I said earlier).

Back