• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

African Twin Next Year?

It's a personal thing. I test rode a new GSA and hated it. It was exactly the opposite for me. I wondered how they even sell them. It cornered like a wallowing pig (IMHO) , the transmission was "OK" at best and the riding position was nice, but I expected way more. I know a lot of people love them, but I could never see paying that much for a motorcycle, MAYBE a used one.. but IDK, just not the bike for me currently.

I too tried the WC Gs and didn't like it. I had no issue with the Chassis and suspension although my Wife did not like the pillion perch. My issue was more related to a motor that could not pull smoothly in its higher gears under 2500rpm like most modern twins. My comparison point is the motor in my Triumph 1200 Explorer which is one of the best motors I have ever owned in a motorcycle. It also has an excellent pillion perch. I accept that the GS is lighter and carries its weight much better but its good points were not sufficient to tempt me away from the Triumph.

If I were to purchase a GS though it would be the standard model. I never understood why some folks here purchased GSA's when they were never going to travel the distance required to bring that huge tank into play. I am now at a stage when small and light is preferable hence my preference of a GS over a GSA

I switched from a '12 NC to a '17 AT a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier with the decision. The additional power and improved suspension of the AT makes it a true joy to ride.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I switched from a '12 NC to a '17 AT a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier with the decision. The additional power and improved suspension of the AT makes it a true joy to ride.
I don’t suppose that 21” skinny’er front tire has anything to do with an easier time traversing gravel than your old NC’s 17” fatter front plow did?

Ray

Yup! The 21" front tire is awesome for my local rough gravel roads. :)

Still getting used to the wider bars and skinner tire in the twisties.

I almost did that, but the BMW GSA won my heart in the end.

I think the touring model you seek will be found in April, 2018 as a Honda NC750x DCT which is still lacking cruise control. If they were to back the VFR 1200x off in weight, lower the seat height to 33" and make it with the AT engine and cruise control we all might have something to like there. Love the trunk in front on the NC series.

Last edited:
The February issue of Rider Magazine states Honda is coming out with the AT Adventure Sports.
6.37 gallon gas tank.
3.15 inch taller windscreen.
Flatter, taller seat.
Crash bars, heated grips, and 12v socket.
And .8 inch more ground clearance.
Sounds like a nice machine.

God bless!!

Michael

The February issue of Rider Magazine states Honda is coming out with the AT Adventure Sports.
6.37 gallon gas tank.
3.15 inch taller windscreen.
Flatter, taller seat.
Crash bars, heated grips, and 12v socket.
And .8 inch more ground clearance.
Sounds like a nice machine.

God bless!!

Michael

That looks nice, indeed. The larger gas tank is the biggest improvement, IMO. Don't count on the 12 volt outlet being good for more than 1 amp, based on Honda tradition.

One big negative I see, for this being an adventure bike, is the front fender being so close to the wheel. I got my NC in some mud last fall with no way to escape, and the front fender packed so badly with mud I nearly burned out my clutch and broke off the fender. I don't think I'd wanna ride the TAT with this AT the way it is, but I've seen some aftermarket solutions for this problem.

2018-honda-africa-twin-adventure-sports_studio_image_2.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

Last edited:
Mudfest

That looks nice, indeed. The larger gas tank is the biggest improvement, IMO. Don't count on the 12 volt outlet being good for more than 1 amp, based on Honda tradition.

One big negative I see, for this being an adventure bike, is the front fender being so close to the wheel. I got my NC in some mud last fall with no way to escape, and the front fender packed so badly with mud I nearly burned out my clutch and broke off the fender. I don't think I'd wanna ride the TAT with this AT the way it is, but I've seen some aftermarket solutions for this problem.

View attachment 35527
You sure know how to pack it in! :p
Not only fenders; that kind of mud packs the front sprocket and if not cleaned,
will ruin your chain in short order. Photo was after pressure washing
all other areas the next day; I was just curious about the sprocket area since
it had a cover that is easy to take off. Surprise!

img_20170827_083336546_36008870204_o.jpg

If you put the front fender up too high, you get all the water from the asphalt roadway. I would recommend this kit for the Africa Twin 1000.

Fender Riser Kit for the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin AltRider

I also highly recommend the Midas E07 50/50 tires for the Honda Africa Twin 1000. However, do not purchase the Midas E07 Dakar tires, as they required a complete team of folks to install.

Last edited:
Back