• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

aftermarket pipe/ cpu

sarge

Reaction score
Visit site
mY 2018 HAS A delkevic
My wifes has a Danmoto
Has anyone flashed? programmed the CPU for richer running or is this not necessary?

The way I understand it is with these bikes, changing intake (air filter) and exhaust does not mess with the fuel mixture enough to need remapping, and the oem ECU will adjust enough to safely run these aftermarket mods. Which is odd, I thought sure enough air filter, exhaust, and remap would really liven these things up, but that doesn't seem to be the case by the general consensus. I plan to read up more on this though, just doesn't seem right. Every other bike changing to a high flow air filter, more open exhaust, and remapping adds a decent bit of power. I can't see why these NC's should be any different. I need to learn more on the matter.

The way I understand it is with these bikes, changing intake (air filter) and exhaust does not mess with the fuel mixture enough to need remapping, and the oem ECU will adjust enough to safely run these aftermarket mods. Which is odd, I thought sure enough air filter, exhaust, and remap would really liven these things up, but that doesn't seem to be the case by the general consensus. I plan to read up more on this though, just doesn't seem right. Every other bike changing to a high flow air filter, more open exhaust, and remapping adds a decent bit of power. I can't see why these NC's should be any different. I need to learn more on the matter.

One thing that sets the NC apart is the design of the cylinder head. See photo below. One throttle body feeds one intake in the head. The airflow is then split to the four intake valves. The four exhaust valves all funnel into one cylinder head outlet, which goes to the single catalytic converter. You could conclude, although there is no proof, that the amount of air the engine can flow is limited by the cylinder head design.

The air filter is quite large for the displacement and power output, in my opinion. There is no reason to automatically assume that the air filter and/or the exhaust system is restricting the power output, as if Honda restricts flow intentionally on all bikes. I have a truck with 11 times the displacement and over 5 times the power of the 670cc NC, and it's air filter is at most only twice the size of the NC's filter.

Lastly, the demographics of NC owners seems to be new riders, experienced and seasoned riders, and riders returning after an absence from the sport, but fewer riders in that stage of riding where they think they need more power, speed, bigger bike, etc. In general I don't think your average NC owner even cares much about adding horsepower, so there may be a lack of experimentation in that area.

cutaway.jpg

Last edited:
there are those of us who would always like more power... obviously I knew going in that it'd be an awfully slow bike, at solidly double the weight of the bike I race and significantly less power, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a few more ponies and a few less pounds

that's the main reason I ordered a decat pipe: weight (and space) savings

One thing that sets the NC apart is the design of the cylinder head. See photo below. One throttle body feeds one intake in the head. The airflow is then split to the four intake valves. The four exhaust valves all funnel into one cylinder head outlet, which goes to the single catalytic converter. You could conclude, although there is no proof, that the amount of air the engine can flow is limited by the cylinder head design.

The air filter is quite large for the displacement and power output, in my opinion. There is no reason to automatically assume that the air filter and/or the exhaust system is restricting the power output, as if Honda restricts flow intentionally on all bikes. I have a truck with 11 times the displacement and over 5 times the power of the 670cc NC, and it's air filter is at most only twice the size of the NC's filter.

Lastly, the demographics of NC owners seems to be new riders, experienced and seasoned riders, and riders returning after an absence from the sport, but fewer riders in that stage of riding where they think they need more power, speed, bigger bike, etc. In general I don't think your average NC owner even cares much about adding horsepower, so there may be a lack of experimentation in that area.

View attachment 38139

WOW outstanding replies Thank you
My Air cleaner is stock. The pipes on the bikes give them a nice deep growl at accelerating and slower speeds not for any increased power. these are unique machines and my wife and I get asked about them frequently, especially here in NY state

Yup, power is limited by the cylinder head design which by the way, fits perfectly into what they wanted for this bike, plus it is the only Honda motorcycle that I can recall with "undersquare" bore & stroke ratios so not destined to be a high RPM screamer. The NC's cyl head has everything integral so the intake manifold and exhaust plumbing is all done internally.

It's not a good candidate for the typical hop-up tricks but I didn't buy it to modify anyhow. I'm happy to chug along at 2000-3000 RPM on my NC700X. :)

Last edited:
there are those of us who would always like more power... obviously I knew going in that it'd be an awfully slow bike, at solidly double the weight of the bike I race and significantly less power, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a few more ponies and a few less pounds

that's the main reason I ordered a decat pipe: weight (and space) savings
Did you notice any improvements with the decat pipe? I almost went with the Black Widow full system but had read too much about people saying the traditional mods really doesn't net gains on these bikes, so I went for the Yoshi slip on for sound and looks mainly. Catalytic converters definitely restrict air flow, but if the issue is that exhaust air flow from head is already kept to a minimum, I can see where that would not help much.

As for low rev engines building power with the traditional mods, I know on a Yamaha Road Star Warrior 1700 (1670cc) fuel injected vtwin, a "big air kit, full decat exhaust, and power commander makes a significant power difference, and that engine redlines at 5k rpms. I've had 2 of them, those bikes will fly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a black widow decat pipe and a delkevic 9” oval slip on. I haven’t noticed any difference in how it runs nor did I expect to. But I do enjoy the way it sounds

These bikes aren't designed to "fly". The NC engine was intentionally designed for volumetric efficiency with power developed in the low and mid range. More power from customary modifications to flow more mixture bumps into single throttle body, long intake tract, undersquare long stroke, small valve area, siamesed exhaust port architecture that favors filling the automotive-style combustion chamber at low rpms rather than the usual motorcycle engine that develops power at mid range to high rpms.

I can go back in the forum archives to 2012-2014 and review numerous threads on remap and tuning attempts. Several with dyno charts........the “pros” quickly gave up because there were no gains. Then add the added costs ..........it quickly lost value and interest by the tuners and the riders. Part of the reason there are no commander or other ECU tunes for the NC.

Those archives threads mention your statements almost word for word........

Last edited:
I can go back in the forum archives to 2012-2014 and review numerous threads on remap and tuning attempts. Several with dyno charts........the “pros” quickly gave up because there were no gains. Then add the added costs ..........it quickly lost value and interest by the tuners and the riders. Part of the reason there are no commander or other ECU tunes for the NC.

Those archives threads mention your statements almost word for word........
The NC is definitely a different bird. I suppose when I get to wanting more power, I will upgrade to the VFR1200X and get some 120 something hp V4 powah! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back