• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

AFTERMARKET SEATS

Dvanncvann

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried 2 different seats for my 2014 nc700x. I have not decided which I like better. First is the Corbin seat and second is the Seat Concepts low comfort. Each has its pros and cons. The Corbin definitely wins out in comfort. I like the height and non slip of the seat concepts. cons of the Corbin is that its slick. Seat Concepts is lacking in the comfort of the Corbin.

Attachments

• CORBIN.jpg
    CORBIN.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 57
  • SEAT CONCEPTS.jpg
    SEAT CONCEPTS.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 53
I just installed a Shad seat that I got from a member and it's pretty comfortable. Only did 160 mile ride Sat but I didn't have a sore A** after. I tried the rear seat , but it was a PIA to get to open so I put stock rear seat back on.
I'd taken my stock seat and cut away the foam to do away with the fwd slope and it was better than stock ,but the Shad is better still

I have had seven seats on my NC, including the stock one. I‘m now satisfied with what I have. However, one person’s favorite may be torture for another person. No one else can decide what’s best for you.

I have had seven seats on my NC, including the stock one. I‘m now satisfied with what I have. However, one person’s favorite may be torture for another person. No one else can decide what’s best for you.
Would love to hear your thoughts on each of the seats pro/cons and what you ended up with. I am still in the hunt ...

Would love to hear your thoughts on each of the seats pro/cons and what you ended up with. I am still in the hunt ...
My 2012 NC700X seat experience:

* Stock: Hard, severe forward slope, thigh torture styling ridges.
* Seat Concepts: Hard, too wide at the front, does fix forward slope.
* Shad: Soft and comfy on short rides. Foam crushes to nearly nothing and I feel I'm sitting on the pan after a few days trip. Foam is soon shot, pan slopes forward and stuffs rider into a pocket.
* Sargent: Seat cover way too slippery: had to grip bike with thighs and knees on hard stops, else end up on frunk. Still had forward slope. Would not bolt on properly with luggage hardware attached.
* Russell Day Long: Hated the wings - made it impossible to flat foot. Too tall, saddle shape means I can't move around much. Really only works on a '12-'20 NCX for rider inseams 34"+ (I'm 32").
* Saddlemen: Nice cover, nice shape. No torture ridges. My second favorite seat. Has a gel pad by design, which is just not as comfortable as foam. Gel pad seems to retain heat, too, so summer rides get sweaty.
* Seat Concepts trial #2: Learned that Seat Concepts target rider weight is 220 pounds or so, about 40-50 more than me, but they will build the kit with a foam density appropriate for your weight if you request. So I did that, then I took what I learned about seat shapes from all the other trials, and reshaped the SC foam before I installed the cover. I narrowed the front of the seat, and I rounded off the thigh torture ridges. The result was a keeper. It's soft enough for comfort, but firm enough to provide good long term support, and the forward slope is gone. Has a grippy cover so I stay where I want to be. I've ridden many miles on the modified SC, including a 6300 mile round trip from USA to Newfoundland, which had a few long days up to 600 miles/day.

This is my experience. It may not apply to anyone else. Corbin was not tried for the NC because I had a Corbin on a different bike in the past, and it wasn't the greatest seat, plus I don't like the company or their logo billboard on the side of the seat. I never tried a Seat Concepts Low because reaching the ground is not usually my problem.

This is my experience. It may not apply to anyone else. Corbin was not tried for the NC because I had a Corbin on a different bike in the past, and it wasn't the greatest seat, plus I don't like the company or their logo billboard on the side of the seat. I never tried a Seat Concepts Low because reaching the ground is not usually my problem.
Thanks this was helpful. I was learning towards a custom foam from Seat Concepts as I had learned about that option if you contact them and tell them your weight. The bit about the thigh gap is good to know and I also planned to tame those ridges. I am looking into a local guy that was recommended to me. We will see what his thoughts are, if not then SC it is.

670 thanks for your breakdown on pro and con's . I've only had a N700X since july and got a red on in aug also. So far I've tried stock and 2 seat's that I cut away fwd slope. ! of those I inserted a gel pad into the foam , but ended up using a gel pad on top of both of those self built seat, they were good for 200-300 miles/day. And just got the Shad , it's as soft as my recliner and plenty comfortable for 150 miles of twisties , but only ridden with it 2 x . It does have more fwd slope than the seats I modified, but less than stock

670 thanks for your breakdown on pro and con's . I've only had a N700X since july and got a red on in aug also. So far I've tried stock and 2 seat's that I cut away fwd slope. ! of those I inserted a gel pad into the foam , but ended up using a gel pad on top of both of those self built seat, they were good for 200-300 miles/day. And just got the Shad , it's as soft as my recliner and plenty comfortable for 150 miles of twisties , but only ridden with it 2 x . It does have more fwd slope than the seats I modified, but less than stock
I initially thought the Shad was a winner, but after 5000 miles I couldn’t stand the soft foam anymore. I never understood when people would say a seat was too soft, but now I do. Again, this is my opinion; “your mileage may vary”. Perhaps depending on rider weight, or if a rider does mainly short rides, Shad is the best choice.

It's the best for me so far , but I weigh 180 and my ride are normally 150-250miles . I also think Red will love it if she's able to ride next season.
I was and am considering a Laam seat As my next choice But the Shad has put that on the back burner

* Seat Concepts trial #2: Learned that Seat Concepts target rider weight is 220 pounds or so, about 40-50 more than me, but they will build the kit with a foam density appropriate for your weight if you request. So I did that, then I took what I learned about seat shapes from all the other trials, and reshaped the SC foam before I installed the cover. I narrowed the front of the seat, and I rounded off the thigh torture ridges. The result was a keeper. It's soft enough for comfort, but firm enough to provide good long term support, and the forward slope is gone. Has a grippy cover so I stay where I want to be. I've ridden many miles on the modified SC, including a 6300 mile round trip from USA to Newfoundland, which had a few long days up to 600 miles/day.
Can you post a couple views of your modified Seat Concepts. I have one coming in and was curious to see how you shaped it. Top and side view on the bike.

Can you post a couple views of your modified Seat Concepts. I have one coming in and was curious to see how you shaped it. Top and side view on the bike.

Here is a link to a write up thread, with some pictures in post #2. I didn’t show a side view, but it wouldn’t matter because I didn’t change the shape in that way. I rounded off the torture ridges and narrowed the neck in the front. Too much more foam removal and I would probably have wrinkles in the cover that I couldn’t stretch out.

* Russell Day Long: Hated the wings - made it impossible to flat foot. Too tall, saddle shape means I can't move around much. Really only works on a '12-'20 NCX for rider inseams 34"+ (I'm 32").
Had RDL on an ST1300. Could find other used brands for sale on the market, but never a Russell. The ST had a 300+ mile range and seat burn was never a problem thanks to the wings.
The extended lower 'wing' leg support is the selling point of the Day Long.
If I remember I could straddle (a little tight) between the wings and tank if needed, but never needed. Russell with your stock seat base custom designs every seat rework. The owner sends owner seated pictures as a starting point.

Last edited:
Had RDL on an ST1300. Could find other used brands for sale on the market, but never a Russell. The ST had a 300+ mile range and seat burn was never a problem thanks to the wings.
If I remember I could straddle (a little tight) between the wings and tank if needed, but never needed. Russell with your stock seat base actually custom designs every seat rework. The owner sends owner seated pictures as a starting point.
True, Russell can custom build or rework a seat for you, and they may also decline to do so. I recall a case, it might have been with forum member OCR, where Russell said their NCX seat could not be built to suit, because the rider inseam was too short.

I have noted in forum anecdotes that long legged riders seem most pleased with the RDL for NCX.

Reactions: MZ5
Agree.
Short legged riders are limited to Customs with 30" or less seat heights. The NC Adventure bikes are much higher.
That's where this rider needs to be. Blue Skies Green Lights

If I remember I could straddle (a little tight) between the wings and tank if needed, but never needed. Russell with your stock seat base actually custom designs every seat rework. The owner sends owner seated pictures as a starting point.
What is your inseam, height, and weight? It would help us to better understand your needs of NC seat options vs our own needs.

Back