• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aftermarket windshield MELTING instrument cluster

awol

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone experienced their windshield melting their instrument cluster?

20220928_090322.jpg

I have the VStream Plus Windscreen 22" and when im parked just right the screen acts like a magnifying glass and melts my cluster.

20220928_090351.jpg

I already got a new cluster but am waiting to install it until I find a solution to prevent this.

Any ideas? Can I tint a windshield that is as curved and contoured as this? Vinyl wrap? Spray paint?

Im trying to salvage the screen and not buy a replacement. Let me know if you have any ideas or things that worked out best for you.

I've seen this with windows on a building melting cars but not on the NC due to a windshield.

Vinyl wrap is do-able and cheap enough to try yourself. Plastidip and spray paint would work but probably be more permanent.

A little effort and you would find many solutions.
A long time ago I found this GlareStomper 320 Sun Shade Visor for GPS Screens. Good protection, easy to install and removal.

IMG_1375 (1024x576).jpg

Capture.JPG

In a pinch you could slip an old t-shirt over the screen, at least until you find a better solution. I put a t-shirt on mine any time I put my motorcycle cover on to prevent scratching the screen.

The SV650s had this issue with the double-bubble aftermarket screens (which I had). If you don't actually look *through* the screen while riding, why does it need to be transparent? With the SV screen, I painted the interior surface a matte black, which made the outer surface a glossy black and the inside... matte. But it also solved the sun magnification issue.

With the rolling of the seasons, I'm about to put the tall screen back on the NC. I currently have a painted stock short screen on the front (red to match the bike color and give more "color presence" in the front in daytime riding). I may paint a portion of the Puig touring screen to accomplish the same thing.

I painted my clear OEM "tall" windscreen for this very reason, and to block light coming from the front when riding at night. Painting it from the back side, after prep, the first layer was color to match my wheels (gloss); second layer was flat black to prevent reflection if sun is from the rear.

Thanks all. I think I will do the gloss / matte paint job.

Good to know im not alone with this problem.

When I noticed the first burn I thought the cherry from a cigarette landed there. But I quit smoking 15 years ago!

Then I caught the 2nd burn in the act. Been covering it with reflectex since then. Except when I forget. Glad there was no fire!

Correction: the color coat was KRYLON MAXX in brushed mettalic; rated for outdoor and plastic. Not a gloss; more like a satin finish.

What if you applied a tint film to the inside (back side) of the windscreen? I'd bet that would resolve the issue.

Yep, V-Stream junk focused the sun and melted a bit of my instrument panel surround, too. Happily, no damage to the display. Got rid of the windscreen quickly, though. Won’t buy another from them, for any bike.

To be fair, you have to be aligned just so relative to the sun (which moves across the sky, of course), but it just shouldn't be a 'thing.'

I know I’m late to the thread but I wonder if masking the top and sanding the lower portion of the windscreen would work. It would be white(ish) and much less transparent.

To stop the V-Stream melting your dash would require you to sand the entire rear face of the screen, IMO. Then you wouldn't be able to see through it (at least not at all well), so I don't see that as a feasible approach.

Would a much shorter screen than stock have any of these issues? Looking at shortening mine with a Puig sport.

Back