• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air pumps . . . what do you carry?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered one of these "Stop & Go" mini air compressors for carrying on my motorcycle.

I hope it works. There are a lot of good reviews and some bad reviews too. I actually wanted a different compressor but it is out of stock and a new model is supposed to have been available this month. Of course, the new model is not available and neither is the old model. The only reason I wanted it is because it is slightly smaller than this one, but not by much. So this was my 2nd choice.

I have SAE plugs wired to the batteries on my bikes so I won't need the cigarette lighter adapter or the little clips. The SAE plug on the bikes will eliminate those added bits. Currently I am using CO2 air canisters for emergency inflators but each canister only inflates a motorcycle tire with about 4# of air so if I have a flat it will take 10 of those canisters, which are single use items, to fill the rear tire on my bike and 9 to fill a front tire. I already have tire repair kits on the bikes.

I wanted the DYNAPLUG but got the STOP & GO mini compressor.

I'm not overly concerned about the time it takes to fill a tire. If it takes a few extra minutes to inflate I won't worry. The Dynaplug has some advantages but, as I said, they are not offering it anymore and the new model is not available. The lovely Mrs_Bob and I are getting ready to leave for a trip so actually having a compressor in fact is better than wanting one in theory.

What do you carry when you are traveling long distance?

Here is a video review of both of these brands -->

Here is a video review, by an actual user, of the STOP & GO mini compressor -->

I have the Slime pump that stores in a zippered case. It lives in the frunk all the time, along with the Stop & Go tire plugger kit and a Red Fuel battery jump pack. I carry these items on all rides, short and long.

38F717E8-5DF3-4B12-B06B-0D7985ECBF64.jpeg

I started with a stop & go type of kit that had a squeeze tool that inserted a round rubber plug then switched to gummy worms and T-handle tools after I had a slit puncture that would not seal with a round rubber plug. I've had ragged hole or slit punctures that took 2 and once 3 gummy worms to get home or to safety. I have had different pumps on different bikes, some in the zipper case and some broken down to reduce bulk. Each bike eventually gets a bespoke tire repair kit with pump. The 2012-2015 NC has a hollow space in the tail piece with enough space to store a Slime pump that I took out of the plastic case with the T-handle tools & worms. I've yet to do that with the 2013 and carry a zippered bag with pump and tools in the frunk.

Aerostich pump and plug kit. Had them for years. Not fancy, very small, very lightweight, and they work great. You (hopefully anyway) don’t need it often, but when you do you need it badly.

remember the standard SAE pigtail comes with a 5A fuse that is not big enough to power a small air pump
I’m not sure what you mean by “the standard SAE pigtail”. SAE pigtails come in various sizes. I’d need to do more research, but I think the SAE type connector we are talking about here is rated for 15 amps maximum. If the connector is on a pigtail wire of sufficient size, say 10 AWG, the pigtail could be fused at and safely handle 15 amps. That should operate a small portable air compressor. Perhaps a 10 gauge pigtail like this is a good example: https://www.amazon.com/Vemote-Conne...&keywords=sae+connector&qid=1628086142&sr=8-6

Slime pump for me. Haven't had to use it except for topping off the tires on a cold morning in West Virginia.

This kit fits perfect in the secret storage underneath the frunk. My little compressor just sits in the frunk, so now i have everything i need to repair the wheel in case.

Attachments

• 1F862879-4403-42CC-BBAB-20446002F2D9.jpeg
    1F862879-4403-42CC-BBAB-20446002F2D9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 3B5097E4-7356-4FB9-B231-DC76AA6CBA8F.jpeg
    3B5097E4-7356-4FB9-B231-DC76AA6CBA8F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
This kit fits perfect in the secret storage underneath the frunk. My little compressor just sits in the frunk, so now i have everything i need to repair the wheel in case.
How many air canisters do you carry? I believe each canister will add about 4# of air to a typical motorcycle tire.

The NC requires about 36# front & 41# rear.

I carry 10 canisters. But being single use I'm thinking a pump is a better option if a tire is dead flat. Canisters are quick & easy if you catch a nail and can plug it while there is still some air pressure in the tire.

How many air canisters do you carry? I believe each canister will add about 4# of air to a typical motorcycle tire.

I carry 10 canisters. But being single use I'm thinking a pump is a better option if a tire is dead flat. Canisters are quick & easy if you catch a nail and can plug it while there is still some air pressure in the tire.
well, the canisters where included in the set. I have a pump also, so there is no need for the canisters.

For commuting and daily riding I generally just carry my AMA card, though I do always have DynaPlugs aboard.

I have a Slime pump I normally keep in the pickup, that I will move to the bike if I’m riding a long ride by myself. If going with my usual riding partner(s), he (they) carries a pump and I carry the DynaPlugs. We both also carry our AMA cards. (-:

I’m interested in a smaller pump that would take much less space than my car-oriented Slime pump. I simply haven’t ever felt a real _need_ to spend the money on one.

i too have the "T" handle, gooey plugs and a Slime pump and have used it many times in the past. I used to ride a lot on/off road and would always air the NC tires down for many miles of gravel and then air them back up when i returned to blacktop for the return trip home.

I’ve got like for canisters simply because they came with the kit. I feel a whole lot better having a compressor on board simply because of the “unlimited” air supply. I leave the canisters with me as a kind of “belts and suspenders“ approach. I’ve been stuck with a flat in the middle of nowhere-no fun. Also guys, ALWAYS carry a couple bottles of water with you. If you have a problem and are stuck at the side of the road on a hot day it makes a huge difference. Even warm water beats no water (though usually I have a small soft side cooler with cold water and Gatorade on board)

I think as evidenced by the variety of pumps people carry, that it's more important that you at least carry something, vs which one you are carrying. They all work and can come in real handy if needed out in the boonies

I think as evidenced by the variety of pumps people carry, that it's more important that you at least carry something, vs which one you are carrying. They all work and can come in real handy if needed out in the boonies
Wait….what? Full stop! You mean we can’t argue why the one we bought is the best and why you other guys should get rid of yours and buy what I carry? Don’t you understand how motorcycle forums work?

Back