• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Alaska 2019

Junkie

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Figured I'd put my basic route plans up here.

Day 1: slab it to Yuba City, 20 to Marysville Road to 49N to Gold Lake Highway (if open, not sure if it is) to 89N to 147N to 36E to 139N to 299E to 31N to 97N to Bend, OR for the night. Google Maps

Day 2: 97N for a long way, to 821N back to 97N, 153N to 20E back to 97N to Kelowna, BC for the night. Google Maps

Day 3: 97N to Kamloops, 5N to 16W to Prince George, 97N to Dawson Creek for the night. Google Maps

Day 4: 97N to Watson Lake. Google Maps

Day 5: 4 to 2 to Dawson City (if weather cooperates), 1 to 2 if weather doesn't cooperate. Google Maps

Day 6: make my way to Yukon River Camp. Not a lot of route options. https://goo.gl/maps/mBtXJvUHvDvXP52HA

Day 7: depends a lot on weather. Probably start the run to Prudhoe Bay, and I absolutely want to make it to Atigun Pass, but if the weather is bad... who knows. I'm not riding in a snowstorm, which can happen any time of year over the pass. I don't want to spend the money to stay in Prudhoe Bay, so I won't be spending the night there (not that it gets dark anyway).

after returning from the FAR north I'll be heading down to Kennecott Mine, probably Valdez as well.

Return trip will be by way of 1, probably spend a night in Haines Junction or Whitehorse, continue to 37, maybe a trip out to Prince Rupert, 16 to Prince George, down 97 to 99 through Vancouver, I5. Not sure if I'll take 20/Port Townsend-Coupeville Ferry or 104/Edmonds-Kingston Ferry, or maybe even continue down I5 to 101 so I can start at the "North" end of 101.

Either way, undecided. I might do 101 until 1 starts, or I might take more interesting routes such as https://goo.gl/maps/oUpWDdebVBBZRWoR7

I have 3-4 weeks for this, so if things go as planned (yeah...) I shouldn't run into time constraints. I'm hoping to make it without changing tires (have a few hundred miles on a fresh set of Shinko 705s) but we'll see... and that may contribute some to route choice.

I’m on the way to Alaska now, but on the Wing instead of the NC. Plan to be in Dawson City on June 21. Other than that, the plan is no plan.

I’m on the way to Alaska now, but on the Wing instead of the NC. Plan to be in Dawson City on June 21. Other than that, the plan is no plan.

I'm with 670 on my Versys. here is a thread on the ride, already 1500 mile from home which is 600 further than I have been on a motorcycle before. About 3,000 more to Dawson City before we cross into Alaska.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/three-old-guys-to-alaska-goldwings-and-a-300-versys.1387369/

Last edited:
I'm with 670 on my Versys. here is a thread on the ride, already 1500 mile from home which is 600 further than I have been on a motorcycle before. About 3,000 more to Dawson City before we cross into Alaska.

That is insane! So awesome! I will be following y'all's trip, mostly from behind my desk at work...LOL.

Have fun, be careful...Is the wife with you? You riding with Fuzzy?

I’m riding with Fuzzy. He is my guide since he used to live up that way.

This is a reconnaissance trip for a possible future trip with the wife.

I’m riding with Fuzzy. He is my guide since he used to live up that way.

This is a reconnaissance trip for a possible future trip with the wife.

Cool...I wished I would have had time to talk to Fuzzy at KSL10 and pick his brain...He pulled in as I was literally getting ready to get on the bike to head to Indiana...You all have a safe trip...post on here plenty of pics and stories...at least we can follow along without being with you guys...(wish I had the time and $$$ to make such a trip).

When you get to Dawson City the ferry ride across the Yukon river is the thrill ride by itself. A must is the Top of the World Highway, that will take you into Alaska. The border crossing there is a one man operation, so it is quite interesting. The town of Chicken, Alaska is a one man operation, but you can camp there... Most roads are dirt, so do not be in a hurry.. From Chicken you can drop down to Tok. Have fun!!!!!!!!!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcy6-5EOKoQ[/video]

Last edited:
Oh man!!! Threads like this get me itching for an epic ride like the one you guys are on. Have fun, be safe and hope all goes well!!!

When I tell people I ride a motorcycle, an often asked question is, “Have you been to Sturgis?”

So now I can say yes, because today we were at Sturgis.

C2087F6B-6EFF-42CD-BBE6-07E60F4AB1C1.jpg

When I tell people I ride a motorcycle, an often asked question is, “Have you been to Sturgis?”

So now I can say yes, because today we were at Sturgis.

View attachment 38354

dang it Greg, I wanna be there!!!! When you get back, I am going to ask for the route you took from Illinois to Sturgis...

Back